Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Marathon for Child's Play  (Read 7225 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »
Brian Brinegar, Dan May, and John Groth are playing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy to raise money for Child's Play.  You can join in the fun by chatting with them while watching the marathon live on Ustream.  Of course you could donate to Child's Play for the kids and to show Brian, Dan, and John your support, but could you play all those Mario games for 55 hours straight?

Although I've never tried to play a marathon of games, I have donated to Child's Play before.  I gave several GBA SPs and SMA4:SMB3 to three childrens' hospitals a few years ago.  I think it's time to do it again.  I just wish I could afford to send Nintendo Wiis this time.  Makes me almost regret spending my money on a PS3 this week. 

Source:  mariomarathon.com
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:47:09 PM »
Neat.  I tossed a little in for them, and sent them an inspiring e-mail.

Or perhaps less than inspiring.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »
I watched a guy playing SMS. He was cleaning Sirena Beach.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 03:03:33 PM »
I feel bad. What if they need to go to the bathroom? And eat?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »
Kill two birds with one stone: don't eat, and you won't have to go to the bathroom.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:11:03 AM »
Update:
They started SMG at 9:09 last night, have lost 193+ lives, and collected 80 stars with Mario as of this post.  They did much better on SMB, SMB2, and SMW, but lost count of lives in SMB3.  Checkout http://mariomarathon.com/ for more specifics on times and lives. 

So far 512 people have donated a total of $9301.00.  That's 93% of their goal.  I just chipped in a little, but it hasn't showed up yet. 

You can chat while watching them play and leave a comment for Child's Play when you donate. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 12:48:54 PM »
And I thought that SM64 marathon I did several years ago was a bit extreme. Wish I still had that video tape...
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 08:53:51 PM »
They have already reached their goal of $10,000. Right now they're at 115 stars in SMG and currently taking on Sea Slide Galaxy's Purple Comet.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 09:31:50 AM »
Are they going to play through as Luigi, too?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 09:40:37 AM »
It's over so I assume not.  Besides they say, "[Star count: 120] ALL STARS GOT!"  That's contradictory, buy anyway they raised $11,190.  It be cool if TMK/FF could have done this.   

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 09:44:24 AM »
Perhaps someday...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print