Print

Author Topic: Why Melee Is Better Than Brawl  (Read 56958 times)

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2008, 02:46:28 PM »
Before SBB64, I only knew Mario, Pokemon, and Donkey Kong. I was gradually filled in on the details, and by Melee I knew everyone except characters like the Ice Climbers and Marth. I learned everything there pretty quickly, and I recognized everyone in Brawl (or learned about them before the game came out).

And if you desire something on topic...

"We have Brawl now, so Melee is obsolete" has pretty much been my unspoken rule since Brawl came out. I've played Melee a total of one time since then, and that was because of a marathon I did with my friends where we played all the Smash Bros. games in a row. I still play the original Smash Bros. once in a great while, because it's nice to go back to the simple times, but Melee doesn't stand out anymore.

When I did play Melee that one time, I was having a bit of trouble readjusting to the controls. Seriously, what's the point of Falco if he can't do the spinny-A-thingy and throw his reflector? DX
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »
I sold Melee a while after buying Brawl. I'm not a person who keeps video games after I get bored with them - especially after I get a new version that I feel is superior. This doesn't apply to everything I own, but money is tighter for me than for other people, so selling games that I never play anymore helps me to even out the costs.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2008, 06:31:07 AM »
When I did play Melee that one time, I was having a bit of trouble readjusting to the controls. Seriously, what's the point of Falco if he can't do the spinny-A-thingy and throw his reflector? DX

This is why I don't try to get good at one character in particular. This way, I can pick a favorite between all of my SSBM greats when I get Brawl, and after I've tried out their new moves a bit.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2008, 10:23:28 AM »
I bought a used copy of Smash Bros. Melee at GameStop last week and the game worked perfectly, until I tried the Event Mode. For some reason, the game won't load correctly when I select a certain Event Match. I tried cleaning the disc with a soft cloth and cleaning solution, but it didn't help. Is there anything that will remove scratches? Do any stores do disc repair?

I'm so ****ed at GameStop. They sell shoddy used games, most of their GameCube discs are scratched.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:25:56 AM by Mario Maniac »
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2008, 12:48:43 PM »
Ugh... the worst thing you can do for a GameCube game is put it in one of those GameStop GameCube game sleeves.  They're just like the cardboard sleeves for the normal-sized discs, except with the extra space sealed off with glue.  This makes it nearly impossible to get a game in/out without a lot of friction against the backside (as it is no longer able to open fully to the edges), and, when the sleeve gets old, the glue comes apart and the game falls down into it, pressed tight against the sticky substance by all the other games crammed in the shelf.

...Unless they've come up with a better design since I've last seen 'em.  But goodness... poor GameCube games.
Go Moon!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2008, 03:40:32 PM »
The last GCN game I got at GameStop works just fine.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2008, 03:51:21 PM »
Yes, stores do disc repair. I would expect GS to own a resurfacer as most used game/movie shops do, but if the one you went to doesn't, go somewhere else. I usually only use GS/EB for new games if at all.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »
Eh.... buy Disc Doctor, possibly? Well, if it's available.

Gamestop = new games.

CGX = Mecha of everything old school that has to do with games.

Electronics Boutique = you won't catch me DEAD in there unless I'm doing the in/out routine with a new game because it's in the mall so billions of pimply, nerdy dudes hang out there and try to talk to the cute cashier.... and I'm definitely not gonna look like an idiot unintentionally eavesdropping on nerds commenting on all these MMORPGs nobody cares about... then they get excited about said genre that involves a dark story, an anti-hero, magic, hit points, and scantily-clad chick warriors that wear very revealing armor, which wouldn't make sense in the heat of battle .... then they start making sword slashing sounds and jumping around announcing which character or hybrid animal/beast type thing they are... and that's just really....  I dunno.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2008, 09:58:21 PM »
I could probably get very rich off of all the comedy gold in the above post.
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2008, 10:03:15 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard cashiers talking to each other about RPGs, ever, anywhere, ever.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 10:18:44 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2008, 10:48:31 PM »
Is there a thread somewhere around here debating the merits of various game stores? Well, in any case, I generally go to Game Crazy. Yes, that place has its problems, but so do all of those stores, and I go because:

A) It's close
B) I can rent movies while I'm there
and
C) It's not GameStop (there's one of those around these parts too).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2008, 11:08:43 PM »
I go to GameStop. Yes, they suck, but considering Wal-Mart's my only other choice in the immediate area, I get by. Plus, the clerks at my local GS are some of the awesomest people ever.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2008, 11:12:58 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard cashiers talking to each other about RPGs, ever, anywhere, ever.
This is what we do at my store roughly 70% of the time. Not MMOs, mind you.

Also, don't buy a Disc Doctor. They just damage the games more.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2008, 01:43:53 AM »

Nah, I said that the nerds get together in a group and talk to the cashier as in, flirt with her.

And yeah, sorry for the suggestion of Disc Doctor. I've never used it myself, but a couple buddies says it's ok. Yeah, I figured it'd suck since you can pick it up at a few video rental stores in my area haha.
Formerly quite reasonable.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2008, 12:41:43 PM »
Sometimes new games from GameStop can be somewhat damaged, I remember when I got my pre-ordered copy of Paper Mario the thousand year door (great game, by the way) it had two scratches on it, even though It was new. The game works fine since I take care of it like a son but still...
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Print