Print

Author Topic: Most Underrated Mario Game  (Read 19415 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 03:53:30 AM »
To be fair, the Starman and the POW Block were already in the game, so it practically was an honorary Mario game even before being turned into SMB2. Still, that explanation certainly explains why they chose Doki Doki as the subject of our SMB2 replacement so easily, and why they continue to accept it on the same level as the rest of the Mario "trilogy".

Edit: For the record, the canned multiplayer aspect sound suspiciously similar to New Super Mario Bros. Wii., what with throwing your buddies around.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:55:32 AM by The Chef »

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 04:52:41 AM »
Agreed, I mentioned a few other similarities Doki Doki already had to make the same point above.  I forgot to mention the POW block though.

I also agree that the tossing your pal around mechanic reminded me of New Super Mario Bros. Wii.  Apparently the mechanic didn't work too well back then but after 20 or so years they managed to work it out :D.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 04:57:57 AM »
I was playing SMAS-SMB2 earlier

There are many things I don't like about it, mostly having to do with the physics. They're not as tight as SMB's and not as polished as SMB3's and especially SMW's. So I end up dying a lot, and when I'm not dying, I am screaming forever

It's a unique experience to say the least
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
If I understand you right, I think you're talking about how controlling the characters feels more "slippery" than in other Mario games, and I will agree on that account.  I've accidentally shot myself off a few vines myself.  Overall it didn't interfere with things too much for me though.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 09:45:44 PM »
Yeah, the vine-climbing physics have always felt very wrong to me. Still, it's a step up over SMB1's vine physics.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:32 PM »
Though I realize it's by no means underrated, I'd just like to say that Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is one of my favorite games. As in, ever.

Also, I get the feeling there was a disproportionate amount of people who didn't care for Super Paper Mario, and that's an opinion I strongly oppose.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 11:35:58 PM »
Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite 3d Mario game, and I believe it's highly underrated. I much prefer the open worlds of Sunshine to the linearity of the Galaxies.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 02:08:50 AM »
Personally, I think that both SMB2s are a bit underrated.  I feel like the Japanese one is unknown to a good portion of the Mario fanbase, in spite of its recent ports and such; although it's not as original as SMB3 or SMW, it has unadulterated difficulty that at least rivals that of every Mario platformer since (save for the Perfect Run and such), and I love it for that.  On the flip side, the stateside SMB2 catches a lot of flak for being a rip-off and such, but then, you guys have pretty much said all that should be said in favor of it already, and I'm in full accord with it (Heck, I'd never even considered the fact that the POW Block was around before DDP).

And I have to agree with jmd as well; although I didn't particularly care for FLUDD's gimmicks and the controls and such, Sunshine did manage a seriously great sense of aesthetics, a fair amount of variety despite the constant overarching "tropical island theme", and above all, more exploration potential than either of the SMG games.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 02:51:09 AM »
The thing I like about Lost Levels is how it more or less forces you to complete every single level if you want to truly beat the game.  As with most fans, I first played it in Super Mario All-Stars, and I found it pretty brutal.  That game took me a few months to complete, and I remember finally doing it and wishing I had a camera so I could take a picture of the screen for a Nintendo Power "reward" for doing it.

When they finally released the Famicom version on Virtual Console I snatched it right up.  Yeah it's incredibly similar to SMB1, but that's part of why I liked it.  I will say that SMB2 (USA) does feel more like a sequel than Lost Levels, which always felt more like an extra "challenge pack" for the first game.

One thing I have noted is that it's thanks to SMB2 (USA) that the Mario series has all the throwing it has.  SMB2 really emphasized it, but all the major Mario games since that one have had it, though usually in the form of tossing shells and so on.  Heck even Yoshi's eating and spitting mechanic can be viewed as a deviation of SMB2 enemy throwing, and who can forget tossing around the Bob-omb King in SM64?

Sunshine...  I remember being a bit disappointed in it, but later on I appreciated it more.  I still love the Galaxy games, but it's true that Sunshine has more exploration.  My biggest disappointment with that game is the limited acrobatics when compared to Mario 64.  I never felt that FLUDD added as much as was taken away in that sense.  I personally still rate Mario 64 as the better of the two, but Sunshine certainly deserves more credit than some give.

Of all the Mario RPG games, my personal favorite is still the one that started it all, Super Mario RPG.  I have always just loved how "alive" the world is with all the details programmed into it.  I loved all the little things the programmers thought of, and all the changed dialog if you decide to keep going back to old towns as the game goes along.  When I got it into my head to try jumping on the head of some NPC running in circles, succeeded, and then after a few laps Mario just jumps off, gets dizzy and collapses, I just kept laughing at the idea that the programmers had actually thought of details like that.  I also liked the original characters created for the game.  Geno is still, to me, the coolest character in the Mario universe.

On other Mario 2 USA details, here's another commonality it already had.  Those Trouters are basically a different kind of flying fish that let you jump on them, often appearing in similar sorts of places.

Funnily enough, as a kid (I didn't have the manual for it at the time) I didn't realize those mushroom blocks were supposed to be mushrooms.  I imagined they were big acorns.  Also, I never saw it as simply "it's all just a dream".  I interpreted it as "Mario isn't just dreaming, he and 3 of his friends are trapped in the world of dreams itself and need to defeat Wart so that all people everywhere can have good dreams again".
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:51:45 AM by Dark Jaguar »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 04:50:33 AM »
The game being "just a dream" is a common misconception anyway. BS Super Mario USA has a plot that's entirely hinged on the idea that SMB2 actually happened.

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 05:32:40 AM »
A sequel to Super Mario USA?  That's cool.  That BS Satellite thing sure had a lot of BS going on...  That didn't come out right....

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 08:45:58 AM »
People seem to overlook the fact that SMB2 did happen. The opening credits of the game told us that.

"Mario woke up from his dream and later went on a picnic with his friends. They found a cave, and once inside, found a door. Upon opening the door, the land that Mario described in his dream spread out before them." (I'm paraphrasing since I haven't actually seen the opening of the game in a while..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 12:42:04 PM »
My biggest disappointment with that game is the limited acrobatics when compared to Mario 64.

There are even more combinations than in Super Mario 64 if you use F.L.U.D.D efficiently. Unlike Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine always gives you a variety of ways to cross any pit or jump over a wall. You can string jumps together in a huge number of ways. Mario is easier to control and doesn't feel heavy at all. Besides, those random punch-kick moves in Super Mario 64 were almost completely useless. The only move I miss from Super Mario 64 is the Long Jump, but at least the Hover Nozzle is an alternative in Sunshine.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 01:43:14 PM »
Ya know after beating it and seeing Mario asleep, there are two things I assumed as a kid.  First I assumed the Princess, Toad, and Luigi all just woke up from their dreams too.  Second, I assumed that it meant that when Mario thought he woke up, he was still dreaming and was in one of those endless "false awakenings".  Reading the manual, I now see there's a weird cryptic remark the Subconians (subconscious?) make when talking to Mario about how he has to beat Wart to break some "curse" on Mario.  They never actually say how Mario is cursed, but I like to think Wart somehow cursed Mario and the rest of his friends into eternal slumber, so Mario and friends have to save Subcon (again, subconscious?) and beat Wart to save Dreamland (not Kirby's) and wake everyone up.  So it both was all a dream and "really happened".  Considering how "wonderlandy" the Mario universe is, it isn't much of a stretch to say that the dream world is "real" in a sense there.

In other words, I interpret his adventure there as mattering just as much as saving the dream world in Nights Into Dreams.

My 1080 block Gamecube memory card failed some time ago (apparently there's some incompatibility with that one and the Wii), so I've been rebuilding save files for my various Gamecube games.  I just recently rebuilt a perfect Super Smash Bros Melee save (nearly so, I don't have the bonus messages for a million vs matches yet).  With what you've said I think I'll give Mario Sunshine a go again soon.  I think you may be right.  I just missed the long jump so much it probably overshadowed everything else.  I do miss being able to punch though.  I actually did use that often enough in Mario 64 when I didn't feel safe jumping, and the squirting baddies with a hose just wasn't quite the same.  Still, I gotta admit the controls were pretty tight in that game.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:46:28 PM by Dark Jaguar »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »
I get the feeling there was a disproportionate amount of people who didn't care for Super Paper Mario

Tru. Dat. Was it Paper Mario 3? Well no. Was Paper Mario 2 spectacular enough that most who played it wanted Paper Mario 3? Yes.

Do those things completely ruin Super Paper Mario as its own thing? No!

The game woulda been tons better without Flipping though
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print