Print

Author Topic: SMB2 Box Art -- Lifted from Japanese SMB art?  (Read 4818 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:28:10 PM »
Over on Twitter, Derek Yu (@mossmouth) noted that the Super Mario Bros. 2 USA box art looks a bit like an edited, flipped version of the Japanese box art for the original Super Mario Bros.  He has a neat little image of the similarities on his Twitter account, linked below:

Source: @mossmouth on Twitter.com
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »
You know, I have that blue "Power Up" shirt with the art of Mario jumping and holding the mushroom (same as on the energy drink), and I always wondered why he was holding a mushroom, since it was the SMB2USA boxart, where he's holding the vegetable. I just figured it was some kind of revisionist history going on until I finally saw that SMB1J boxart a while ago.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:12:25 PM »
Now let's look at nearly every boxart since New SMB. Mario and Luigi in that jumping pose is used in nearly every boxart since. Look at Mario Party 8: Mario is in the same position, his head is turned and he's waving at us.

..I know there are others, but MP8 was the first one I thought of.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »
Are they? If memory serves, each game's box has Mario exhibiting the main gimmick as best he can, and it's been that way for as long as I can remember. Holding a vegetable, flying with raccoon power, riding Yoshi while wearing a cape, riding Yoshi while being a baby, flying around the castle with a winged hat, being huge, flying in space, riding Yoshi while flying in space, riding Yoshi while hanging out with three other players, reading a map, holding onto a flying mailman... He's doing his trademark jump about as often as not but that's no more a crime than a Link posing dramatically while holding a sword or Samus pointing her arm cannon at something.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 03:02:31 AM »
I'm not sure why you refer to it as a gimmick because it's the series' main game mechanic.

Anyway, I think Toad is right for the most part. Most Mario game box arts do indeed show Mario jumping, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I think the horizontal flip and slightly reworked Mario art for SMB2 USA's box art is a little lazy, though.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 05:04:03 AM »
I meant the main gimmick of each individual game, hence the list thereof :T
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 11:51:11 PM »
I don't think gimmick would be the right term because those games introduce new gameplay mechanics. If they were merely gimmicks then the Mario series wouldn't be so great.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Print