Print

Author Topic: Randumb Garfield  (Read 245887 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #840 on: September 07, 2009, 05:50:11 PM »
I think there are about 3 Penny Arcade strips in existence where the punchline actually works.
That was a joke.

« Reply #841 on: September 07, 2009, 07:28:17 PM »
INCOMING
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #842 on: September 07, 2009, 07:36:31 PM »
I think there are about 3 Penny Arcade strips in existence where the punchline actually works.

Actually, no. They're usually good with avoiding superfluous third panels and other screwups, but every now and then they seem to fall asleep. Maybe they have a psychological need for the 3-panel format.
every

« Reply #843 on: September 07, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »
I realize that my "slucking" panel has been the subject of many a mashup thus far.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #844 on: September 08, 2009, 10:11:13 AM »
Yes, it's yours.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:44:27 AM by TEM »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #845 on: September 08, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »
Technically it's mine since I reversed the colors.
every

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #846 on: September 08, 2009, 03:19:58 PM »

What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #847 on: September 10, 2009, 03:14:12 PM »
http://www.platypuscomix.net/otherpeople/weirdgarfield.html

If you're not a regular Sqrt(-G) reader, this link was posted last Monday.

My opinions on whether these were indeed baffling?

#1 - I was always under the impression that it was some kind of cat-food patty, but that never really made much sense either...
#2 - I assumed it was some intentional strange misspelling/misarticulation of "lousy".
#3 - Wow, never even thought of that.
#4 - Never really thought much about it, assumed it was some sort of furniture, though.
#5 - I agree this never made any sense.
#6 - Never thought about what that would look like outside of a comic collection...
#7 - Never considered that either.
#8 - Oliver Wendell Holmes, William James, Michel de Montaigne. Three easy Google searches.
#9 - Never questioned it; honestly, what difference did the name make?
#10 - Just a hint to how human Garfield is, IMO.
#11 - Never questioned it, I guess it doesn't make much sense in retrospect.
#12 - What? It seems fairly obvious at the end of the series what happened.

So yeah, several of those strips certainly didn't need to be there.  The "catburger" one still seems the strangest of the bunch to me.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #848 on: September 10, 2009, 03:25:24 PM »
Equally interesting in that article is seeing Garfield's physical evolution through the years, which exemplifies the "beautification" factor seen in many developed franchises these days. That is, how Garfield's characters  and many other cultural icons have become cuter or more aesthetically appealing over time by means of inflated craniums, huge eyes and the like. Just sayin'.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #849 on: September 10, 2009, 06:28:13 PM »
Seems like "lawsey" is a poor pronounciation of "lorsy" which is kind of like "lawdy" for "lordy". Maybe he meant lordy?
If he didn't know what a hassock was, that's his own problem
Also, "wood-burning" clearly refers to stoves, and I guess Jon's mom grew up before electricity?
Bones do knit.
Otherwise, some of that is baffling.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #850 on: September 10, 2009, 06:33:48 PM »
If you're not a regular Sqrt(-G) reader, this link was posted last Monday.
By me here, too, but okay. My take on those bizarre comics, having seen most all of them originally (well, in book compilations)?

1--Yeah, probably just a weird euphemism for some sort of cat food. Of course, the fact that he swats it off a plate in front of John, not a bowl in front of himself, is no doubt what contributes to the confusion.
2--That guy's response to that comic is my own. My only guess, having re-seen it for the first time in a long while, is that, Odie being a dog, it's some accented pronounciation of "Lassie".
3--Yeah, totally inexplicable.
4--From the context and sound of the name, I don't recall ever being terribly confused about it beyond "oh, never heard that word before".
5--Uh... maybe the guy doesn't like to be reminded that those two names sound funny together? Makes as much sense as anything.
6--Attention, Garfield cynics with access to MS Paint: Jim D. beat you to that joke decades ago. Of course, Bill Watterson did something akin to that once in Calvin and Hobbes (I don't have a link and it's hard to explain, so I guess just ask if you care for me to elaborate).
7--Yes, it's an odd comic overall, and I don't remember what I thought when I first saw that, but it was either (judging by Garfield's seemingly horrified expression) cats literally used to fuel fires or--and this seems the likeliest--cats that put wood into a fire to keep things warm.
8--Yeah, this is evident in some of the above confusing stips, but I'd just like to say how interesting the transformation Garfield has had over the years is, in terms of not art style but subject matter. I remember the first few comics (I own "Garfield at Large"), wherein Jon smokes a pipe and watches Bridgette Bardot movies, and Garfield references things like the Edsel and Rin Tin Tin. Dare I say, it was more... mature, of a comic?
9--First of all, that character's never appeared since (at least, not to my knowledge), but then again, neither's Lyman. And I'd just like to say that that last panel is like Jim Davis tried to cram every obscure slang word and reference he could in one sentence.
10--Yeah, pretty much.
11--Like I said earlier, I figured this was a word I'd yet to learn when I read it as a kid. And... still don't get it.
12--It's a borderline fact that this is the strangest Garfield comic (sequence) ever. When I originally read it, it was in the books and I didn't think to look at the publication date, so I didn't know it was a Halloween special of sorts and just assumed Davis randomly decided to confuse/scare the heck out of everybody. Also, I retroactively dig that insane/alone Garfield conspiracy theory, and I do agree that, however out-of-place it was, those strips were pretty creepy.

I think most of the strangeness in those old comic strips can be attributed to how the main demographic of the strip has changed and the rural dialogue (anybody remember that fairly-recent "trivet" strip?) occasionally used by Davis.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #851 on: September 10, 2009, 06:37:42 PM »

Kind of unrelated, but wasn't this a running gag in B.C. some years before this strip was around?

« Reply #852 on: September 10, 2009, 06:47:41 PM »

Last panel: Garfield minus Fluffy. I like it.

The article's author is missing the point by claiming that the irony is lost by Garfield's inability to literally vocalize his thoughts. The cat in question consciously "speaks" to the reader through his thoughts in practically every strip, and that's all that matters for that strip's irony.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #853 on: September 10, 2009, 08:31:01 PM »
I think the Guido and Fluffy strip is about the guy being mad at Garfield for thinking their names sounded weird at all. Not just together. But because Garfield brought it up.
Brian, you don't know what a trivet is? Is there even any other word for one of those?
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #854 on: September 11, 2009, 07:16:31 AM »
Brian, you don't know what a trivet is?
Well, I didn't until a couple months ago (but it didn't matter because I'd never heard the word before and had no reason to use it). What I was referring to was when LD, or someone, posted the strip in question a while back with confusion as to what the word was.

"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print