Print

Author Topic: Why You JRPG-Lovers Suck  (Read 22220 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »
Yes, but the whole point of his post was "final" stuff. "Penultimate" is not final.
That was a joke.

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2010, 09:44:12 PM »
It would still be worth it once we got to Penultimate Narrative III

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
It could be the Gilette of franchises. Introducing Final Fusion XXVII: a shave closer to the actual ending.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2010, 07:19:25 PM »

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2010, 06:53:10 PM »
I bought DQIX today, 95% due to this post. If this turns out like when he tricked me into playing Odin Sphere...

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2010, 07:14:31 PM »
If anything, you can be promised that DQIX will keep you occupied for a good while. 105 hours in, I've only finished about half of the sidequests (not counting downloadable weekly quests), completed 75% of the Bestiary, obtained 24% of the equipment, found 62% of the consumable items, and cooked up 6% of the Alchenomicon.

By the way, in order to unlock absolutely everything the game has to offer, you must encounter an inordinate number of fellow DQIX players IRL: One GamSpot user tagged 47 "guests" at Comic-Con before unlocking a feature needed to complete one quest.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »
Hey, Odin Sphere is cool. And so is Dragon Quest IX.

I haven't put in as much time as Weegee (I'm guessing he's ankle-deep in the post-game), but it's been incredibly enjoyable thus far. I really like how the combat flows; it's not insanely fast like some JRPGs I've been playing recently, but with your characters actually moving around the battlefield to make their moves, it's more dynamic than those games. I also really like the implementation of the vocation system, though given how useless some of the abilities your characters can learn are, I sort of wish you could respec.

Also, alchemy in this one is a *****; you have to go around the world several times, hunting down every spot where you can find ingredients, visiting every treasure map dungeon, buying every item you can get your hands on, doing every quest. And then even after you've found every recipe scattered throughout the world, some combinations can only be discovered through trial and error - though, thankfully, you get your ingredients back if they don't make something, so you won't lose your Yggdrasil dew or something trying to figure out what you've got left to make.

Regarding the multiplayer stuff, thanks to Nintendo wanting to heavily push this game they published, Dragon Quest IX is getting Pokémon-like events; there's a GameStop event this Saturday, and a Best Buy event next Saturday, both giving out special treasure maps. Depending on where you live, that might help with the problem of needing to find a lot of people to tag with. But even with that, it's definitely not as easy as in Japan.

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »
Also, alchemy in this one is a *****

Amen to that. To cite an example more pertinent to this forum's userbase, it's like Zess T... times a million. Advanced recipes can require about twenty different base ingredients. For instance, the Agate of Evolution, which is vital for making most of the game's best equipment, requires the following raw ingredients:

-12 Brighten Rocks
-12 bolts of Evencloth
-4 phials of Magic Water
-4 clumps of Royal Soil
-12 phials of nectar
-4 Flurry Feathers
-8 phials of Fresh Water
-6 Angel Bells
-4 Thunderballs
-4 Ice Crystals
-2 Belle Caps
-2 clumps of Manky Mud
-6 Cowpats
-14 Medicinal Herbs
-2 Moonwort Bulbs
-2 Wakerobins
-4 Narspiciouses
-1 Chronocrystal (which costs 50000G)

This list can be shortened by four or five items if you begin with more advanced ingredients, but still. You'll never complain about the hassle of making Trial Stew again.

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2010, 10:41:35 PM »
If anything, you can be promised that DQIX will keep you occupied for a good while.
My least favorite aspect of gaming!

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
Additionally, in order to get every accolade, you need to reach level 99 in each of the game's 12 vocations. :3

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2010, 05:40:52 PM »
Well, if you happen to have access to the Masayuki map (which is absurdly rare), apparently it's got nothing but metal king slimes on the fifteenth floor, so grinding would be a bit easier that way.

Also, with regards to the cost of certain items, the developers made the classic blunder of making the outcomes of certain alchemical combinations worth more than the combined cost of the ingredients (which can all be purchased from regular shops), so making and selling massive quantities of those items is faster than, say, grinding gold golems.

Also also, I went ahead and tried the first treasure map (the one you get as part of a quest) last night. I've heard the boss there has given people trouble, but I managed to take him down without losing any of my party members. (Also, his name is a truly great pun.)

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »
Do you mean Baramos? If so, bravo: Only my mage was left standing by the time he took his last Kafrizzle.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2010, 08:20:21 PM »
No, Equinox. Sounds like that boss is a lot harder.

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
It just puts a big dopey grin on my face how good you guys are at demonstrating why JRPGs suck.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »
At least you never have to hear thirteen-year-olds calling you a cockmunch in JRPGs.

Print