Print

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. now on North American Virtual Console  (Read 10812 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:47:46 PM »
The brawl that started it all is finally available on Virtual Console in North America. Originally released on Nintendo 64, Super Smash Bros. can be on your Wii for only 1,000 Wii Points.

Link: NOA press release
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:56:07 PM by Deezer »

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 04:43:52 PM »
I never owned the original, I guess I'll buy this when I get money. But I'm not in a huge rush cause IMO it's not really that great.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
Really, it's only for those with fond memories of the original. Otherwise, why spend ten bucks on a less-refined, exponentially-smaller SSBB precursor?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »
There's plenty of other reason to buy it. If you haven't played it, it offers different music, stages, moves in some cases, and items. For anyone that has played, while a lot of it is reminiscence, but it's also... nevermind. But that's a good enough reason for me to get it.
"I'm a grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss!"- Bowser, SPM

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:28:38 PM »
The sound effects are pleasantly cartoony, unlike in Brawl.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:42:20 PM »
There's plenty of other reason to buy it. If you haven't played it, it offers different music, stages, moves in some cases, and items. For anyone that has played, while a lot of it is reminiscence, but it's also... nevermind. But that's a good enough reason for me to get it.

Sorry for not making it clear, but I have played it a lot of times, I just don't think it's worth wasting $10 on when there are more important things at the moment.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 10:28:32 PM »
All the above, and I like the control and feel of the original, almost more than both successors. Melee is way too fast and it's got that whole L-cancel & wave-dashing cult following which just makes the game less appealing to me these days.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 10:28:56 PM »
Heard about it.  Bought it.  'Nuff said.

Having the SSBM/SSBB controls for Classic/GCN Controller were a nice touch too.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:49:13 PM »
I'm with Weegee, especially since I own the original (not that I'll find myself playing it too often). I will admit, though, that the slapstick aesthetic of the original does let it still stand on its own, to a degree.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 07:24:42 AM »
Heard about it.  Bought it.  'Nuff said.

Having the SSBM/SSBB controls for Classic/GCN Controller were a nice touch too.

Now if only they optimized the controls for, say, Super Metroid, or SMW, like they apparently have with SSB64.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
Personally, I enjoy this game every bit as much as SSBM when playing with good players (and most of the guys I know that still play it are), and we've developed some "house rules" such as a makeshift green-shell only policy.  SSBB's size never was a huge plus as far as I'm concerned, and as the gameplay and physics are lacking, I prefer both of its predecessors greatly for VS. matches.  Plus, Luigi's up-b and Falcon Punches are much easier to spam in SSB64
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 12:43:07 PM »
So have any of you seen all three legendary birds in the background of Silph Co?

I've seen Zapdos several times, Moltres a few, but Articuno I've only seen once since purchasing the cart back in 1999. I wish I hadn't been playing so late at night. I could have been much quicker on the pause and gone to get a digital camera..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 07:31:23 PM »
I downloaded this already but wow! has it really been ten years sense this came out? it feels like just yesterday I was reading about this game in nintendo power. makes me feel old lol

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 09:02:29 PM »
I have the original so I'm not going to spend $10 on the emulated and possible slightly faulty version, plus there is no nostalgia.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
This is great for those that missed out or can no longer play the game on their N64.  And yes I do pop in my copy on the rare occasion that i plug my N64 in or if I want to return to Saffron City or Hyrule Castle.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print