Poll

You can own only one:

Xbox 360
23 (76.7%)
PlayStation 3
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Print

Author Topic: 360 versus PS3  (Read 78708 times)

« on: December 27, 2009, 10:40:57 PM »
I think people who get a PS3 without already owning a 360 are insane retards. This battle has raged across countless threads through history, but here I put it to the ultimate vote. Only one system will win. Vote today.

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »
Xbox 360. I hate the PS3.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »
PS3s generally don't break when you breathe on them, but at this time may not have quite as many worthwhile exclusives.
360s are prone to failure and don't look as pretty, but they do have a couple RPGs that look nice but I don't have the time for them.

I got a PS3 mostly for a few games that aren't out yet. I think about getting a 360 sometimes but I don't even play games anymore. Live Arcade could have some fun stuff that I would waste my money on and play once. Since I'm not into this online leaderboard macho man competition, it isn't so appealing to me anyway.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:22:57 PM »
My friend (who is poorer than me) owns both and I can safely say that the PS3 is better. Sure, they both have good games, but the PS3 has Little Big Planet and is probably the closest non-drug thing to LSD.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 11:28:55 PM »

HAI GIZE HOWZIT GOIN

Also, the PS3's exclusive titles and online capabilities seem more impressive than the 360's, at least from the perspective of an "outsider" like myself.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:15:08 AM »
Neither, and here's why:

I'm sick of first-person shooting.
I'm sick of tedious JRPGs.
I'm sick of fighting games being made for systems whose primary controllers should be kept far away from fighting games.
I'm sick of atrocious ports.
I'm sick of players missing out on content because they bought a game on a particular system.
I'm sick of games costing a few hundred dollars after the retail purchase.
I'm sick of zombies.
I'm sick of the increasing number of rhythm games I've all but lost interest in.
I'm sick of tacked-on single-player modes.
I'm sick of tacked-on multiplayer modes.
I'm sick of games having content on the disc that you have to pay extra to unlock.
I'm sick of players placing more emphasis on increasing their Gamerscore than whether or not they're having fun playing games.
I'm sick of "YOU BUTTHURT RRoD [bundle of sticks]S SURE GOT TOLD" and "lol ps3 has no games."
I'm sick of most of the games I'm interested in on either system either costing ≤$15 or being imports. (That is, I know of one PS3 game and two 360 games I'm truly interested in buying that I could buy at a standard video game store.)
I'm sick of mass bannings rendering buying a used system a completely stupid idea if you want to be sure you can do much with it at all.
I'm sick of Avatars and Home.
I'm sick of some of the most heavily-advertised features of a video game system being those that have absolutely nothing to do with video games.
I'm sick of people who think they're superior to other people because of what game system they own.
I'm sick of these debates.

Mind you, many of these points mirror previous generations. But many of them are new problems, and with the old problems still present, are enough reason for me to have not bought a console this generation. In particular, the dearth of games I'm interested is great enough that I'm to a point where I'd play an unmodded PSP - as in, one that wouldn't let me play Mars Matrix or PSX disc images, some of a modded PSP's biggest draws for me - more than any of the consoles.

And besides, why should I bother with any of the current consoles? I have too many games to play through on the systems I already own as it is without buying more stuff.

I suppose for the purpose of choosing one or the other, though, I'd go with the 360, because it has slightly more games I'd buy than the PS3. Three isn't much better than one, though.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 12:53:36 AM »
the PS3's online capabilities seem more impressive than the 360's
BLAGHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHSNRTAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHLAHAHAH!

*snif*

No.

But at least PS3 is free.

But 360 gives you a headset. So if you don't already have a Bluetooth headset, that cancels a year out.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 01:08:40 AM »
I'm sick of first-person shooting.
Better shut off your computer.

I'm sick of tedious JRPGs.
Better shut off your DS and PS2.

I'm sick of fighting games being made for systems whose primary controllers should be kept far away from fighting games.
Uh, what are they supposed to make them for? Neo Geo?

I'm sick of atrocious ports.
Ports from what to what?

I'm sick of zombies.
Why did you play so much Plants vs. Zombies?

I'm sick of mass bannings rendering buying a used system a completely stupid idea if you want to be sure you can do much with it at all.
The alternative is doing nothing, like Nintendo's Hack-Fest Online Cheatstravaganza Service.

I'm sick of Avatars and Home.
You never have to touch either.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 01:35:19 AM »
Better shut off your computer.
Where I play strategy games, puzzle games, rhythm games, arcade games, and visual novels? And have hardly touched most of the first-person shooters I own?
Better shut off your DS and PS2.
Again, though I do own and play JRPGs (including The Dark Spire, which is basically a D&D2E module on the DS and is pretty much as tedious as that sounds), puzzle games, rhythm games, and shmups make up much of what I play on either of these systems. The DS also has Umihara Kawase.
Uh, what are they supposed to make them for? Neo Geo?
Sure, or more companies could make fight sticks and fight pads so that maybe they'd be a bit less expensive, or the companies that make these games could make more controller bundles. Also, left-handed arcade sticks.
Ports from what to what?
PS3 to 360. 360 to PS3. Either of those to or from PC. In some cases, arcade to home. This wasn't one of the problems unique to this generation, of course, and I don't just mean games that received a port to another system at some point after a release on one system.
Why did you play so much Plants vs. Zombies?
Because it was a fun game and I wasn't particularly sick of zombies at that time.
The alternative is doing nothing, like Nintendo's Hack-Fest Online Cheatstravaganza Service.
No, the alternative is not utilizing a system where a player could unknowingly buy a banned console and be unable to do 90% of the stuff they should be able to do with said console. However, I will cede that part of the blame for this lies on the shoulders of pawn shops and used game stores, who should be checking whether or not systems are banned, and that Nintendo's online stuff definitely sucks hard.
You never have to touch [Avatars or Home].
You're right about Avatars, but Sony is continuing to do this retarded thing where there are games that can only be played from Home, and that's the only way to play R-TYPE: Flash of the Void.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 01:49:29 AM »
Where I play strategy games, puzzle games, rhythm games, arcade games, and visual novels? And have hardly touched most of the first-person shooters I own?
Again, though I do own and play JRPGs (including The Dark Spire, which is basically a D&D2E module on the DS and is pretty much as tedious as that sounds), puzzle games, rhythm games, and shmups make up much of what I play on either of these systems. The DS also has Umihara Kawase
Yeah. I'm saying your reasons are bull[dukar] that don't have anything to do with the 360 or PS3 specifically. Because both of those machines play strategy games, puzzle games, rhythm games, arcade games, and visual novels, JRPGs, shmups. And your fighting stick thing is even bigger bull[dukar]. And you somehow got sick of zombies even though you haven't played 90% of the zombie games that have come out in the last few years.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 02:55:22 AM »
I never said those systems don't play any of those. They simply don't play any that I'm interested in paying hundreds of dollars for the privilege of playing (not that I would be playing visual novels on either of those - aside from the language barrier that isn't present with the stuff I play on PC, Japanese PS3 games are censored by Sony before release - I believe they've removed even weaksauce things like panty shots in some rare cases - and only one Japan-only 360 game is region-free, and it's a shmup).

LD, tell me, have you tried tating your monitor for Raiden Fighters Aces? Even if you're on a widescreen television instead of a 4:3 display (and therefore getting either a stretched image or letterboxing), the difference is so enormous that the only reason I can think of for even considering going back to yoko is related to having a TV that can't be comfortably tated (which understandably probably prevents you from even trying tate in the first place). Even with my (admittedly rather limited) experience with this sort of thing, I've noticed that it's largely the same thing with a fight stick/pad versus a standard 360/PlayStation controller, though this may in fact be closer to playing SPAC3 INVADERS EXTR3ME with the Taito DS Paddle Controller versus playing it with the standard control scheme (in this case, the former is at such a ridiculous advantage in terms of gameplay that it can't be used at all for the online ranking mode).

I also didn't say I was just sick of zombies in games. The entertainment media in general have had varying levels of obsession with them for some time now, which has led to me becoming sick of them.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 06:01:53 AM »
I shall break up the tension.

I say Xbox 360 is more awesome. I don't care for/need Blu-Ray. I don't like its apparent "blur filter" it puts on everything. I find that absolutely annoying. Have you ever noticed that? Everything's got this stupid-ass blur around the edges so that's where all the fanboys get off with saying, "OH ****3 GRAFIX MUCH BETTR"

360 has the Forza Motorsport series... which is infinitely better than the Gran Turismo series. I didn't have to buy a separate disc to play The Lost and [darn]ed/The Ballad of Gay Tony on 360. Natal will have more support/probably be more successful than PS3 Wand or whatever the hell they're calling it.

If you're gonna whine and complain about having to pay extra for add-ons to the game, then big [darn] deal. That's where companies are going these days and it's not gonna get any better. I guarantee games will be virtual-pay-per-play or something eventually. It'll be a sad day, of course, but I imagine it will come. Also, I like being able to have DLC for games. I can have more stuff in my game. I don't have to wait for another game (therefore another physical disc and it costs more) to come out to get content I could've gotten a couple weeks after the original game came out. Also, it lets the developers release the game a bit earlier and save space (only reasonable if there's none left). Take Forza 3, for example. Everything was crammed on two discs. They plan on releasing 12 car packs each month for... well, the next 12 months. If they wanted to keep withholding the game to add allllll those extra cars in, then you'd have vaporware. Perfect example being: Gran Turismo 5. PS3 [bundle of sticks]s keeps saying "WE HAVE A RELEASE DATE" but that's happened multiple times. Their latest release date is dated for April, but I just don't see that happening. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I'm leaning towards "won't"

Sorry, I'm tired and annoyed. That is all.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 07:41:24 AM »
I have a PS3.  I picked it over the 360 for several reasons.  First of all it plays my PS2 games and has a lot of media card inputs.  Most PS3s don't so this isn't an argument in the overall scheme of this thread, but it was important for me.  It plays Blu-rays.     Also, I prefer the feel of the PS3 controller, but this is simply a personal preference. 

I didn't get a PS3 right away though.  I waited to see if Blu-ray would win.  I waited for a PS3 controller with both motion and rumble.  I waited for enough disc and PSN games I was interested in to make the purchase worthwhile.  I waited for a price drop, but ended up making Microsoft pay nearly $200 of the cost which made the purchase a lot easier for me.

There are other things I like about my PS3, but didn't know about at the time.  I can't say these things are all exclusive to the PS3 because I haven't spent much time with a 360.  The PS3 can play almost all media types from almost any source so I use it with Google PS3 Media Server (PMS) to watch home movies, trailers, and torrents.  I like the PSN stores offerings.  My 80G drive is full because of this.  I've download a few movies, quite a TV shows, and a lot of games.  I also like letting my PS3 do folding@home when I'm not using it. 

There are also reasons I didn't pick the 360, but I'm not saying I won't eventually get a 360.  First of all, the 360 still doesn't have enough exclusives that I'm interested in to justify the cost.  I know it has exclusives, but many of those don't interest me.  I few of the 360s previously exclusive games have made it to the PS3.  Braid being an awesome example.  I'm not into first-person-shooters, and don't care for voice chat, headsets, or online gaming in general.  Even if I did I wouldn't want to have to pay for it, but that doesn't figure into the equation for me.  The 360 used to have a lot of system failures which were scary, but aren't really a problem now.

I'm not a saying the PS3 is perfect, it has it's own faults.  The laptop hard drive with proprietary formating makes upgrading a pain.  Mine only had 80G which I'm all ready to upgrade this week.  PS3s have a fairly high Blu-ray drive failure rate.  I've already said this, but it's worth repeating:  Most PS3s don't have media card readers and don't play PS2 games.  I know this isn't a problem for most, but I like to have fewer electronics that do more.  I'm one of those guys who'd pay extra to have a Wii that'd play DVDs, but that's for another thread. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 12:53:42 PM »
What's with 360 people claiming that PS3 doesn't have DLC? I mean I think DLC is downright idiotic in the first place but they still both have it.
Trainman, I don't know what you are talking about with your "blur filter", but I think it probably has something to do with the game engine of whatever game you have in mind, because the games I have for PS3 definitely don't do that.
I don't think I'd like my PS3 quite as much if it weren't a 60 gig, but since it is, I do.

L'son, you know you can homebrew DVD playing onto your Wii, right?
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 02:16:50 PM »
Thanks for your post, Luigison. You're the only person so far to clearly state your reasons for liking the PS3, none of which are ridiculous and/or made up. All of your reasons pertain to your personal interests, and your argument is aware of the "other side" (disadvantages to PS3 and advantages to 360).

Being a 360 man, I'm finding it difficult to disagree with most of your points, since, again, they're all about your personal interests, and I'm not about to tell you what you like and don't like. But I'll try to stand up for the 360.

Regarding backwards compatibility: If someone is going to buy a PS3 in order to have a next gen system and to not make their PS2 games obsolete, why not get a 360 and keep playing your PS2?

Regarding controllers: I prefer the feel of the 360, myself. As far as Natal and PS3's motion controller, I am mentally disregarding both as pure novelty and generally ridiculous until they are actually released and can be proven to be functional in a beneficial way for gaming, not for quirky gimmick games. Any attempt to include either in the 360 PS3 argument before that moment is pure speculation and a terrible argument.

Blu-ray: PS3 is a cheap Blu-ray player, true, but it sounds like it has some problems. I am unaware of the details on this situation. I don't watch movies very often, so I will leave that portion of the discussion to the ones who do.

I can't say these things are all exclusive to the PS3 because I haven't spent much time with a 360.  The PS3 can play almost all media types from almost any source so I use it with Google PS3 Media Server (PMS) to watch home movies, trailers, and torrents.  I like the PSN stores offerings.  My 80G drive is full because of this.  I've download a few movies, quite a TV shows, and a lot of games.  I also like letting my PS3 do folding@home when I'm not using it.
Some of the main capabilities of the 360 as an entertainment center are Netflix, TV show downloads, music through last.fm, Facebook, connectivity to other Microsoft products such as the Zune or PCs, the Xbox Live Marketplace (similar to PSN store), etc. I don't know what Google PS3 Media Server or folding@home are, but the rest of the things you listed seem to be covered on 360 as well.

Regarding exclusive games: There is only one game so far that I have really really wanted to play that's exclusive to PS3, and that is Demon's Souls. The only reason is because Lizard Dude and TEM kept talking about it, and they made it sound really fun, and I wanted to play it with them.

RRoD: "Yeah dude this is my fourth RRoD" "This is my seventh xbox" Let me ask you a question: if the RRoD is such a dealbreaker, why are people waiting so long and paying money to get it fixed multiple times? I'll tell you: because the 360 is totally worth the repair costs and 3 week wait. They're having so much fun with their 360s, they're willing to wait to get it back so they can get back to playing Live with their friends.

Online gaming: I am aware that Xbox Live costs 50 bucks a year and PS3 is free. But you get what you pay for. I have never played PS3 online, so I can't personally attest to Xbox Live's superiority, but I find it very difficult to imagine any type of online gaming experience that is better than Xbox Live. I'm going to trust Lizard Dude's judgment on this one, and his first reply clearly puts the nail in the coffin for this argument. Even he was skeptical before he actually played a 360, and now he knows what's up.

Also, a majority of gamers have a 360. The best thing about playing games online is playing with friends, and I have a lot of friends who play 360. Case in point: I unexpectedly played four hours of Left 4 Dead 2 last night with a full 8-person party consisting entirely of people I know. I don't think I've ever had more fun playing a video game. LD is a witness. We probably wouldn't have stopped if it wasn't four in the morning.
Oftentimes I'll buy a game on 360 specifically so I can play with friends, which is why I got L4D2 on 360 instead of PC.

I think WarpWrattler is failing to make good arguments because he is tainted by the fact that he only plays shoot em ups and that he has never actually played a 360 (and maybe even a PS3).

That goes for the rest of you, too. Don't make stupid arguments about the 360 or PS3 if you've never played either one. Weegee.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:21:05 PM by bobman37 »

Print