Poll

You can own only one:

Xbox 360
23 (76.7%)
PlayStation 3
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Print

Author Topic: 360 versus PS3  (Read 78531 times)

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 02:34:09 PM »
Bobman, I'm just going from what I've heard from friends who do own the systems.

visual novels?

Lol, hentai.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 03:07:40 PM »
The big reason I decided on the PS3 is that it has a lot of great games for it made by a lot of great developers.  Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, and (from what I've heard) High Impact have already proven themselves on previous consoles.  Nothing against Microsoft, but man, these guys know how to make games. 

Also worth mentioning is that I like how Sony doesn't keep rearranging the buttons and feel on their new controllers.  My favorite in the controller department has always been Sony because they keep it simple and consistent.

Yeah, Blu-Ray is neat, but since I don't have a Hi-Def TV to enjoy it to its fullest, I probably won't be using it much; thus, I'm not going to pretend that it was a major factor in my wanting to get a PS3.  As I mentioned above, my main consideration was what games I could get (and by which developers).

This is all to say nothing of the fact that I've been a loyal Playstation customer since the beginning (as if loyalty had anything to do with it when I was five). 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »
Trainman, I don't know what you are talking about with your "blur filter", but I think it probably has something to do with the game engine of whatever game you have in mind, because the games I have for PS3 definitely don't do that.

Okay, so I figured out the name and read a bit more into it. The anti-aliasing method the PS3 uses, that is. I may not be using it in the right context, but it is the "Quincunx" anti-aliasing method. Reading into it, it does get rid of jagged edges, but tends to blur the entire image to achieve that which is what I was referring to. Apparently, it is also hardware-based, since after reading through a list of about 200 games including their native resolution, etc., only a small handful of games didn't use the "Quincunx" anti-aliasing method. Instead, those games used their own anti-aliasing method (ex. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue). Also, on a couple games, you could toggle the anti-aliasing.

Going back to my post, I believe the anti-aliasing method of the PS3 to be a bit nauseating and a pretty lame way to hide the system's shortcomings. I've seen comparison screenshots (360 & PS3, of course) of Saints Row 2, GTA IV, both Modern Warfares, and Ghostbusters, and you can really see the "blur" of the PS3.

Source(s): Many, but this explanation/run-through explained it the best (and includes comparison screenshots... make sure to check them out to see where I'm coming from): http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=55284
Formerly quite reasonable.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 03:33:50 PM »
Lol, hentai.
LOL, awful hentai scenes getting in the way of an otherwise good story. I would've paid for a US release of the PS2 version of Fate/stay night, because that version doesn't have those scenes. (As it stands, the only US release of any game in that series is the download-only release of the PSP version of Fate/Unlimited Codes, a port of a PS2 fighting game developed by the people who did Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.)

I have in fact played the 360 before, bobman, and again, for the purposes of this thread, I would absolutely choose it over the PS3. The only PS3 exclusive I've seen that I would go out and pay full price for is Demon's Souls - which, you'll note, definitely isn't a shmup. (To be fair, the exclusives I've seen on the 360 that I would go out and pay full price for are Raiden IV, the import-only Mushihime-sama Futari, and Raiden Fighters Aces, though I can and do already play the Raiden Fighters games via MAME. All of these are shmups.)

And this is just talking about exclusives that I'd be buying brand-new on disc. If you look at the systems' download services, suddenly there are a lot more games I'm interested in. Unfortunately, I still can't justify the cost of either system to be able to play ports of arcade, PSX, and Dreamcast games, because that's most of what I'm interested in on either download service.

(Also, when did I say I only play shmups? A quick look at the games sitting on my desk right now reveals six shmups...eight rhythm games, eight RPGs, six puzzle games, two beat-'em-ups, three driving games, two first-person adventure games, more first-person shooters and real-time strategy games than I'll ever get around to playing, and a handful of other titles not grouped with any of the above. This is only counting physical games, not stuff I've digitally purchased, and it's only stuff on my desk, not the numerous GBA games inside my desk or the stacks of NES and PC games sitting behind me.)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »
What driving games do those three include?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »
TrackMania DS, F-ZERO GX, and Crazy Taxi. NAMCOMUSEUM includes Pole Position and Pole Position II, but I don't count that.

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 07:05:53 PM »
Unfortunately, I still can't justify the cost of either system
Yeah, too bad you can't pirate an entire console.

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »
You can!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »
Apparently people pirate consoles quite frequently, with how many people come shopping where I work hoping to replace their stolen consoles.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »
Piracy? Really, now?

If piracy had anything to do with this, I wouldn't even consider the ports of PSX, Dreamcast, and arcade games as potential reasons to buy either system, because hey, why would I pay for all these games I could just emulate? If piracy had anything to do with this, I would be willing to buy a used 360 that was modded to allow burned discs to be played and that was banned from Xbox Live (and had the ability to install to the hard drive removed) because of that fact, because hey, who cares about Xbox Live access when you can download and play any game made for the system as long as you have a DVD burner?

But I do consider those games that I would be willing to pay for as potential reasons why I might want these systems, and I refuse to consider buying a used 360 at all because of the risk that it might be banned from Xbox Live. The fact of the matter is that I've chosen to not buy either of these systems, and you guys continuing to argue against my reasoning for not buying them isn't going to make me go out and buy one. Like I said earlier in this thread, I already have quite a lot of games, and with so many of these games I already own being completely untouched, with me stupidly continuing to buy more and more games for the systems I already own despite these unplayed games piling up and despite my status as a poor college student whose only source of income is donating plasma, with the number of retail games I would buy between the two systems being discussed being countable on one hand, with the majority of titles I'd buy through the consoles' download services being things I could buy and play elsewhere, I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on another game system and games for it.

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 08:31:01 PM »
with how many people come shopping where I work hoping to replace their stolen consoles.

They have GameStops in ghettos now?

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 08:36:22 PM »
Why does Chupperson Weird supposedly work in a ghetto?

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2009, 08:45:21 PM »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 08:46:55 PM »
Weegee just doesn't live in a populated area, is all.

Who ever said I worked at a GameStop?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:48:39 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 05:41:27 AM »
I got a reman'd Pro system. It's been great (had it just over a year now) except I have no room on my hard drive (Forza 3 installer disc ate it up). My 360 being a heater is wonderful right now in the winter, but not for spring thru fall.

I need to go pick up Burnout Paradise.... although, nah screw that, they left out crash junctions and since Burnout 2, that *is* Burnout.

Print