Poll

What is your sexual/romantic orientation?

Heterosexual
29 (69%)
Homosexual
6 (14.3%)
Bisexual
2 (4.8%)
Pansexual
0 (0%)
Hetero-romantic asexual
1 (2.4%)
Homo-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Bi-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Pan-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Aromantic asexual
0 (0%)
Unsure / "it's complicated" / other
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Print

Author Topic: Sexual Orientation  (Read 120335 times)

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
I've never understood the "pan-" designation. Wouldn't the average bisexual bang a decent-looking trans?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »
Straight. Though I admit, I've never been in a position to question that orientation, so I suppose it's not set in stone. (Although I find it unlikely that I'd be attracted to a man).
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »

"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
Don't forget about Andrej Pejic:

He is a male model and has some incredible photo-work that takes advantage of his androgyny.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:01:20 PM by Markio »
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:48 PM »
Somebody's going to have to explain pansexuality and the need to explicitly specify "romantic" to me.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 12:25:37 AM »
Pansexuality: sexual attraction to people of all gender identities and biological sexes.

Biological Sex: merely refers to how the person's body is structured. If you have a penis, surprise, you're a male.

Gender Identity: a person's perception of their gender. Gender identity corresponds to the norms society has given to males and females. So, for instance, a person can be biologically female yet "feel like" or identify as a boy. The person really only has to say that they identify as a boy to fit the mold, but the feeling displays itself in the person's preference for clothing atypical of girls and/or refusal to shave body hair, among other things. This is a pretty crude definition so don't take it at face value.

A pansexual is just anyone with the potential to be attracted to both sexes and any of the many (and I mean it when I say there are a bunch of them) gender identities.

The primary difference that seperates bisexuals and pansexuals is that the former is only attracted to males and females who identify as their respective genders. A true bisexual cannot and will not feel attracted to a transgendered person, i.e., someone who is biologically male yet identifies as a woman (you know, drag queens). As for transsexual males-females who underwent an operation to physically become males and almost always identify as such-I'm not sure. Seeing as how they're basically just males, an unaware bisexual wouldn't know the difference. :P
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Romantic Love: purely relates to the emotional side of a relationship.

You can feel a deep connection to someone else without wanting to have sex with them. An asexual heteroromantic person, for example, desires that sort of connection but is by and large unstimulated by what others would call sexual activity.

Some people feel the need to "explicitly specify" this (as you put it) because they really have no interest in sex and it's important for their partner to understand that.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:15:02 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 10:39:15 AM »
Performing drag doesn't make a person transgender.  Transgender people simply identify as a gender that does not align with their biological sex.  Drag queens and drag kings dress as the gender opposite of their biological sex purely for the sake of performance.  Then there are cross-dressers (previously known as transvestites) who receive sexual pleasure from wearing clothes of the opposite gender (without identifying as that gender).

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »
To add to that, the individuals above don't necessarily "make you gay," they make you confused. But, hermaphroditic beauty has always been extolled in ancient Chinese literature I've read. The idea of being attracted to this sort of beauty is by no means new.

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 01:01:20 PM »
Performing drag doesn't make a person transgender. 

I was trying to give an easy example for ShadowBrain, but you're right, drag queens and kings aren't necessarily transgendered.

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
Heterosexual: Straight
Homosexual: Gay
Bisexual: Both
Everything else: Look at me I'm a special snowflake

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »
Yeah because human sexuality can be reduced to three very simple categories and if you don't perfectly align with any of them you're obviously just looking for attention. *rolls eyes*

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 03:28:43 PM »
I'm perfectly aware that this will come off as bigoted, but as much as I support freedom of expression and a proud sense of self, I'm not sure I want to be around thirty, forty years in the future if every mommy-kisser and his dog has some elaborate sexual/romantic preferences I'm supposed to know about before I start talking about sex--heck, even just using pronouns. Being "just" straight, even "just" gay, isn't "right" or "wrong", but I won't lie and say it doesn't make the dating scene a lot easier to deal with. But hey, being angry that you can't boil things down into simple concepts is human nature,
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:59:16 PM by Sapphira »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »
That'd be understandable if it weren't for the fact that the number of people who fall outside of the gay/straight binary is not particularly big (at least in comparison to the amount of those who don't). And for those rare individuals who do, all it takes is getting to know them-one conversation at most, usually-to know the proper pronoun to use.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:50:28 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »

Each pixel in this spectrum is a different colour, but that doesn't mean we need a name for every individual one.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
Having names for a number of those colors makes it easier to describe what you're seeing.

Print