Print

Author Topic: Good Old Enemies  (Read 6184 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:14:55 AM »

I've talked about this in #tmk a couple of times. I really want to see some old enemies revived, preferably in a [traditional] Paper Mario game. The series brought back Fuzzies, Lantern Ghosts, Li'l Sparky, and others...

And I feel like writing a bit about their greatness.

The Super Koopa. When you think of a shell-less Koopa, you think of a sadly squishy little being with nothing to stop Mario's big brown boots from ending his game. But with a cape, anything can be super!  Now these little ones shoot down from the heavens at our heroes, easily avoiding many means of attack. What style!

The Yoshi's Island Pokey and its good buddy, the Needlenose. I actually didn't know that this springy, rapturous plant was a variant of the segmented Pokey we all know (and are all disappointed about ever since the change in Sunshine (right?)). I just love enemies who smile as they slow you down on your mission--you can't help but think that this pair is good at heart. But they're in the way, so you swallow the Needlenose. Aww! You made Pokey sad...

Lastly, the Goonie. "Such a minimalist representation of a bird... Eyes, beak, legs, a little tuft of feathers, and wings." - Fifth. It's true. This is just about as simple a bird anyone could think of, save the McDonald's M. But that's where their charm lies. But are they even enemies?  They seem peaceful, and can't be all bad--they seem comfortable enough giving Yoshis rides for free.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:18:52 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 04:47:57 AM »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 06:32:21 AM »
Anything with "Li'l" in it can be a rapper name.

Nice pic, I especially agree about the Super Koopa.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:44:34 AM »
The new rapping sensation... Li'l Goonie!

I see... well, there's so many characters that could theoretically be brought back, but these are some good candidates. Dare I call that piece a "visual aid"?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:19:20 PM »
That particular Needlenose reminds me even more of Mr. Face than normal ones do.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:32:29 PM »
Goonielicious!

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 12:21:16 AM »
Bird Person needs to become a Nintendo writer when he grows up.

I'm serious. He surpassed Sakurai in screenshot captioning and just imagine his writing in a manual or Tattle text. Fits perfectly!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 08:38:41 PM »
Um, anyone surpasses Sakurai in caption writing.
"F-Flab is hanging out from his sides!"
"W-Wings!"
You get the point.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »
Mariopedia wiki awaits...

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 09:51:51 AM »
"W-Wings!"
You get the point.

His stuttering captions were funny the first 100 times.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »
We're gonna feel bad for making fun of him when we find out he actually does have a stutter.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 07:59:26 PM »
No, I mean he out-Sakurais Sakurai in parody. But that style fits Brawl 'shots well! They're not serious art here or something.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »
"W-Wings!"
You get the point.
LOL x2
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 11:32:41 PM »
The difference is that Sakurai had to be semi-serious with his screenshots on the Dojo--they were demonstrative, so the captions were for explaining what was happening. Me, I'm just being a joker imagining that Wario and Captain Falcon are best friends, recreating scenes from other games with humorous props and actors, and making Lucas a kitchen appliance, weapon, dangerous criminal, etc.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 04:58:59 PM »
the Buzzy Beetle clan gets surprisingly little action in recent Mario games...
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Print