Print

Author Topic: Toynbee tiles  (Read 5878 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: October 19, 2008, 11:37:46 AM »
Not sure if this really counts as a creation, since I'm just taking pictures of them, but whatever.

Toynbee tiles are small, enigmatic rectangles of unknown material embedded in the roads of many major cities in North and South America. Most of them say something along the lines of "TOYNBEE iDEA KubricK's `2001 RESURRECT DEAD PLANET JUPiTER". Yesterday, I went out to find as many of the ones in Philadelphia as I could, based on a list compiled in 2003. For some reason, all of them seem to be at intersections.

This one is at 12th and Berks, in front of Gladfelter Hall at Temple University. This seems to be one of the newer ones, as it's rather small and says "MOViE 2001" instead of the more traditional "KubricK's `2001".

This should give you an idea of how small it is.

This one is at 15th and Arch. About the same size as the last one. Got partially painted over.

16th and Chestnut. This one, like several others, says "LAY TILES ALONE" in smaller letters on the side, which may be instruction to the reader if he or she wishes to put more tiles like this down. Apparently there used to be one in Pittsburgh that gave a description of how to make them ("linoleum, asphalt glue in several layers, then placing tar paper over it so that car wheels won't mess it up, and apparently the heat of the sun on the tar paper will bake it into the street").

15th and Chestnut, same design as the one on 15th and Arch.

A very interesting one on Broad and Sansom. Different type of terrain than most, and it seems it either needed a different method, or reacted differently to the normal method. The word IDEA can be seen where a missing chunk of the tile would be, either a residue from the chunk or where someone wrote it back in. On the side, it says "YOU MUST LAY TILE ALONE AS HELLiON [tiles in other cities make reference to "HELiON JEWS"] AND FEDS iNFiLTRATE AND HARVEST YOU TO PRiSON"

An unorthodox design on 13th and Chestnut.

From Wikipedia, a picture of the 13th and Chestnut tile when it was more intact.

12th and Chestnut. Ones like this seem to give some weight to the theory that most or all of the recent tiles have been laid by copycats, not the original artist, who many believe is now dead.

This one, on 11th and Chestnut, wasn't on my list. Since it's so close to two other ones, I assume they would have noticed it, so it's probably relatively new. You can make out what may be the remains of ALONE up in the corner.

9th and Chestnut. One of my favorites. The letters are kind of sparkly when you see them in person. I may try and get a better shot of it later.

5th and Walnut has a tile that looks like the one on 9th and Chestnut, and also a person. Probably connected somehow.

A quite large one on 4th and South in front of Starbucks. Looks a lot like another one in Washington, DC.

Last, I went downtown where there were supposed to be three more: Broad and Oregon, 11th and Oregon, and 9th and Shunk. I didn't see anything at 11th and Oregon, and I couldn't even find where 9th and Shunk intersected, and this was the closest thing I could find at Broad and Oregon. Traffic was too heavy to get a closer shot.

All in all, a pretty good way to spend 5 1/2 hours and three subway tokens.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:50:21 AM »
I saw a Toynbee tile once when I went to Philly a few years back; I should've taken a photo. All I can remember is it had a red border with black text on a white background, and probably had some version of the standard text on it. My first thought when I saw it was it was some sort of "Engrish".
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
Ah, yes, I saw these in... Weird New York, I believe. It's allegedly a reference to some storie(s).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 09:13:43 PM »
These are weird. I've never seen such a thing, but then again I probably don't pay too much attention to things on the road.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »
Pretty cool. But what did the original artist have in mind?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »
Interesting.  Never heard of these before.   Of course, I don't live near any major NA cities.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:51:46 PM »
Movie 2001 and Kubrick's 2001 obviously refer to 2001: A Space Odyssey, but there's no resurrecting the dead on Jupiter until the sequel, 2010. Toynbee most likely refers to Arnold Toynbee, a historian who believed religion was the driving force of history. No one's sure what the connection is.

There used to be four big tiles at 16th and Chestnut (they've apparently been paved over since 2003) that one person transcribed as saying:
John Knight Ridder is the Philadelphia thug hellion Jew who'd hated this movements guts- for years- takes money from the Mafia to make the Mafia look good in his newspapers so he has the Mafia in his back pocket. John Knight sent the Mafia to murder me in May 1991 [illegible] journalists [illegible] then gloated to my face about death and Knight Ridder great power to destroy. In fact John Knight went into hellion since of joy over Knight-Ridder as great power to destroy.

I secured house with blast doors and fled the country in June 1991.

NBC attorneys journalists and security officials at Rockefeller Center fraudulently under the "Freedom of Information Act" all [illegible] orders NBC executives got the U.S. federal district attorney's office who got FBI to get Interpol to establish task force that located me in Dover England.

Which back home Inquirer got union goons from their own employees union to [illegible] down a "sports journalist." Who with ease bashed in lights and windows of neighborhood car- as well as men outside my house. They are stationed there still waiting for me.

NBC CBS group "W" Westinghouse, Time, Time Warner, Fox, Universal all of the "Cult of the Hellion" each one were Much worse than Knight-Ridder ever was mostly hellion Jews.

When K.Y.W. and NBC executives told John Knight the whole town gloated in joyous fits on how their Soviet pals found a way to turn it into a... "
John Knight died in Ohio in 1981, which complicates things a bit (though it may just mean that the transcriber copied down the dates wrong).

Also, there used to be a tile in Santiago, Chile that gave the address Toynbee A., 2624 S. 7th, Philadelphia, PA., 19148-4610, USA, but the people who live there now say they don't know anything about it. (echoes of YTMND's Safety Not Guaranteed investigation?).

A lot of people think James Morasco was the original tile-maker, but his widow says she doesn't know anything about them either, and that she would have known if he was doing something like this.

That's pretty much the extent of our knowledge right now.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 04:10:39 AM »
John Knight died in Ohio in 1981, which complicates things a bit (though it may just mean that the transcriber copied down the dates wrong).
No, he was obviously resurrected on planet Jupiter.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »
Yeah. He still died, but was resurrected.

I personally think these tiles are/were a kind of Eon8-esque social experiment that some people just copied and continued, perhaps without knowing their original purpose.
every

Print