Print

Author Topic: Edible Mallow (UPDATED: FULL CAKE)  (Read 10814 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:59:22 AM »
For fun, we're making a Mario cake. The cake will be shaped like one of the little castles at the end of normal levels in SMB, and will be surrounded by characters made out of edible clay. I decided to make Mallow, because I'm pretty sure I've never seen him on a Mario cake before.

This is probably the best picture, since the colors look right.

Next to the SMRPG strategy guide, for comparison. SMRPG models are pretty easy to recreate, since it's pretty clear just by looking at them how they're put together.

His pants and the inside of his head are two marshmallows. His Froggie Stick is a pretzel. Everything is edible except for the toothpicks (one in his Froggie Stick arm, and one in each foot)

The only part I did was Mallow. My mom did the cake parts, my sister made Peach and the mushroom, and my brother made everything else.

He started out as Baby Luigi, and then the body kind of got full-sized, so I guess he's Teenage Luigi.

We had to move Mallow a bit -- the first time we put him on, his hand was behind Peach and it looked like he was grabbing her butt.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:13:55 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 03:25:10 AM »
Awesome! Your next challenge is to make Exor, Mario, Bower, Peach, Geno and Toad. Good luck with the cake process.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:57:34 AM »
Just make sure the cake doesn't come to life.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 11:37:39 AM »
I actually did suggest we make Bundt/Raspberry for the next cake when we finish this one, so keep an eye out.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »
Just make sure the cake doesn't become a lie.
Fixed. Also, if I could actually bake and had the money to buy the ingredients, I'd copy your idea. Good luck with the cake.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 11:24:50 AM »
Fixed.
That's what I thought he actually said when I scrolled past the post (Yes, I could've made the joke, but I feel unqualified to do so until I play Portal).

Back to the confection at hand, nice (marsh)Mallow! I look forward to the cake proper.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »
Well done!  But I hated reading this on an empty stomach...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 08:44:50 PM »
Hi-res pictures! (Somehow I don't think these would count in the Hi-Def Mario thread, however)

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 09:25:16 PM »
Someone went crazy with the camera! Anyway, nice snapshots. I noticed one thing wrong with Mallow; He needs puffier shorts.
But! That's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:30:06 PM by FlamingBlueMardio »
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

CrossEyed7

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 09:45:55 PM »
Yeah. For accuracy's sake I wanted the shorts to be whiter than his body, but I had already used the whitest candy clay we had, so I had to use a marshmallow for his pants. My excuse is that he's lost some baby fat since we last saw him.

And I should have used jimmies for the eyes or something.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 07:14:18 PM »
Added finished cake pictures.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 08:26:44 PM »
Wow... that goomba looks... scary.  No, seriously, like the evil minion of Bowser a goomba is supposed to look like.  The mushroom looks pretty good.  I like Luigi.  Probably something about the bulbous nose...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »
More threads should be updated with FULL CAKES. It just enhances the appeal!

(I'll comment on the actual cake when I can find the time and patience to load it)
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 09:00:13 PM »
(I'll comment on the actual cake when I can find the time and patience to load it)
Still on dial-up, huh? I was going to question the necessity of the 56k warning in another one of CrossEyed7's threads, but I guess it's been justified.

To contribute, have you considered making Mario, Bowser, and Geno to add to the top of the cake?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 10:05:36 PM »
Nice job! I have to admit, that's one pretty scary goomba! And that chocolate castle looks REALLY good. Mallow looks heroic, and Peach looks ok too. I hope this isn't the finished cake. Cause you still need the star of the game; Mario. Besides that, the cake and all it's characters look pretty good.

Print