Poll

Should mods, who shall remained unnamed, manually censor swear words?

Yes
5 (22.7%)
No
17 (77.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Print

Author Topic: Censoring  (Read 60212 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 08:02:29 PM »
Japanese, for one. That is, they don't have "swear words" like English does. You can still insult people or whatever.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 08:16:49 PM »
They're just words. They're only offensive based on the context you use them in. If I swear in a manner that is not intended to personally attack someone, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 08:56:50 PM »
Yeah, the Japanese language doesn't really contain swear words. This is why whenever Sakura says "Shannaro!" in Naruto, it can translate out as "Alright!" or the more profane "$#@% yeah!"

Subbing companies have field days with the Japanese language. The Sonic X sub features colorful language when other, less profane words, could be used.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »
Well, a lot of time, that type of translation is more or less in the right spirit. It's just that in Japan, saying it wouldn't be offensive. (To Chef: i.e. not offensive in any context as the word applies to English sentences.)
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 09:16:47 PM »
They're just words. They're only offensive based on the context you use them in. If I swear in a manner that is not intended to personally attack someone, then it shouldn't be a big deal.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 09:17:49 PM »
I take it you were just quoting for truth?
That was a joke.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 09:29:06 PM »
Either do it right or explain exactly how deleting censored words makes sense.
"it's always the present"

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 09:48:44 PM »
Keep in mind also that beyond what the forum offers, many browsers (Firefox w/ Greasemonkey and Opera for two) allow the loading of JavaScript files which allow the user to remove/replace any string (regular expressions, even) the user does not wish to see in most instances.  Worst case scenario?  You filter out too much and/or you have to see what words you're filtering to begin with.  If you have a problem with images, block all images or block any server that hosts them.

If any of the above sounds like a bad idea, then why have you only started now to think?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 09:53:52 PM »
Clearly the solution to this problem is to convert the board to Japanese only.

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 10:18:34 PM »
任天堂ホームページには、岩田社長が自ら任天堂の方々に インタビューするコーナーがあります。その名も『社長が訊く』。そこで、わたしこと桜井政博が、なぜか岩田社長に訊かれてしまいました。えーっ。わたしは任天堂の人じゃないよ? ホントにやるの? やりますか。そうですか。やりましょうとも!! 『スマブラX』制作の舞台裏が少しだけ覗けるかもしれません!
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 11:20:28 PM »
DESU DESU DESU!
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 03:44:49 PM »
AUGH OTAKUS.

YOU MUST DIE.
No! I don't want that!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 11:35:51 PM »
No. I firmly believe moderators should not edit any posts at regardless of reason. Having never edited any post on this forum, I say this as completely unbiased.

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 03:19:30 PM »
Yes. I don't like reading swears so I think mods should censor them. Is there a rule against swearing that there's censor?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »
I LIKE reading swears so I say Mods SHOULDN'T censor them.

Chew on THAT.

Print