Print

Author Topic: Stupid Final Bosses. . .  (Read 6700 times)

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2001, 06:45:29 PM »
Why does all Bowser Leave all those things there that could easily defeat him? I have a very simple answer to that...It's something the programmers use to make the boss battles more entertaining, creative, and individual than just a few quick stomps on the head or a fire ball (hammer) or two. Lol, but I must adimit i full-heartedly prefer the theories on this topic to that.

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2001, 08:23:17 PM »
You know what? I think what Bowser should do is take everything had ever had to attack Mario with in every game, and use them all! Mario would have a lower chance to win! Maybe in the very final Mario game, Bowser will do taht?

I''m the leader of the Koopa Bros.We''re hip and cool and uh... we like bacon
I''m the leader of the Koopa Bros.We''re hip and cool and uh... we like bacon

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2001, 10:49:09 PM »
Bowser would have a much easier time is he sabotaged Mario at every turn...
...you know, spread around rumors, torched bridges, laid traps, etc...

Basically a lot of little things as opposed to his usual pattern of large obstacles, but few of them.

I guess that's get irritating after a while.

~Just another pisanno.
 ~Just another pisanno.

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2001, 12:12:05 AM »
They're just video games. It's not real life :)

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2001, 12:06:17 AM »
I know their just video games and if the bosses didn't make errors they'd be invincible, but the programmers should have at least came up with an excuse like "Bowser's hands were stuck inside his shell so he can't pick up the axe (or support peg)" to cover up these obviously stupid mistakes, or at least try to make the errors less noticeable. Above all, however, the programmers should have made the final bosses learn their errors after performing them several times (such as Bowser [after being tossed into bombs twice before] not having bombs around the arena in the final battle in the sky in SM64, or Bowser not throwing the Mechakoopas after being hit by them several times in SMW), and perhaps making a different, less noticeable error (instead of having bombs in the Bowser in the Sky battle in SM64, Bowser should instead be tricked into charging off the arena, thus sapping a little life from him until his demise, for instance), thus adding a little more difficulty to the bosses, and showing that the bosses do learn from their mistakes and that they are intelligent. But instead, these mistakes are pointed out obviously, and the bosses appear to lack intelligence, thus the bosses lose on account of their stupidity. Well, thanks for your replies - it seems this topic has really expanded, and I hope to see more points of view on this controversial subject.

This message was written by davidcoolestguy, master of anime and video games (actually he''s just a guy who''s got too much free time)

Founder of the Mario Game idea: Super Mario Bros 4: Sibling Rivalry. If you wish to see this game idea, e-mail me at david_coolest_guy@yahoo.com, and I''ll see if I can get it to you. I''m also planning on updating it, and possibly converting it into an RPG. . .
This message was written by davidcoolestguy, master of anime and video games (actually he''s just a guy who''s got too much free time)

Founder of the Mario Game idea: Super Mario Bros 4: Sibling Rivalry. If you wish to see this game idea, e-mail me at david_coolest_guy@yahoo.com, and I''ll see if I can get it to you. I''m also planning on updating it, and possibly converting it into an RPG. . .

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2001, 03:02:58 AM »
I like what they did with Tubba Blubba. THere was a good, invincable boss with no real weak points near him. His weakness was (obviously) his heart in the well.

I liked this becasue it didn't become obvious until Yakkey spilled the beans. If more games had this kind of continuity, they'd make a lot more sense. But then we'd have nothing to complain about, so nevermind ;).

The Goomba King was a good boss. No dumb inadeguacies there. You just beat the living hell out of him. End-of-story.

Perhaps 'Bowser's Axe' was in case of fire? He was standing on a wood bridge over lava, and this is obviously his weak point. So, logically, it would be good to have an axe in case the bridge started burning. I guess he wasn't counting on Mario being able to jump over him (he is 3x his height, after all [5 or 6x his normal-Mario height]).

~Just another pisanno.
 ~Just another pisanno.

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2001, 09:18:16 PM »
but he had a platform floating around over his head
Sig...
------------------------------
Small Console = Big Ballz

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2001, 10:37:14 AM »
In response to SMB3 question. Bowser can be defeated in other ways or atleast in the Super Mario All-Stars version. Bowser can be defeated in 3 hits with the Hammer Bros. suit and I think you can also kill him with the Tanooki suit by turning a statue and falling on him.

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2001, 01:38:11 PM »
You're right about the Hammer Bros. suit being able to kill Bowser (I'm not sure about the Tanooki Suit, but you're probably right about that too), but in order to have those suits in the final battle, you cannot take any hits throughout the whole castle or else you'll lose your suit, which would make the game much harder. In any case, if Bowser didn't crush the floor in SMB3, only Hammer (or Tanooki) Mario would be able to stop him, and since its difficult to beat the whole castle without taking any damage, it would be very difficult to beat Bowser and Bowser would have a much greater advantage against his mortal foe, but instead he stupidly crushes the floor when he sees that its caving in, thus falling to his demise.

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2001, 09:09:51 PM »
You're right about it being hard, I got to Bowser's castle with 3 Hammer Bros. suits left. If I lost my suit, I'd lose a life and try again. On my last suit remaining, I finally got to Bowser. My older brother watched with amazement as I plowed through the castle on my turn without taking damage. (Keep in mind that I'm 17 and have been playing Mario games my whole life.)Anyway, we wondered if it would be possible to harm Bowser in any other way than him killing himself. So I hit him with a hammer and my bro said give up, nothing happened and I said "Wait, I think I heard a sound when I hit him." So I threw two more hammers right before losing my suit and he died.

Getting to Bowser was much easier with the Tanooki suit because you could destroy almost anything that got in your way by falling on it as a statue. Alas, I only had one left and lost it right at Bowser cause I didn't jump high enough. I guess I'll find out if that works the next time my bro and I play through the whole game.

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2001, 08:13:01 PM »
I've got another example:

In Yoshi's You-Know-What (and if you don't, then consider yourself lucky!), why doesn't Bowser try to steal or deactivate Mario's Super Scope? I mean after several hits he'd better realize how dangerous it is and should try to prevent Mario from using it. If he stole it then he could even shoot Mario with it and be unbeatable!

I know, I'm being nitpicky, but that's what everyone has been so far!

----------
OK, I pressed the profile sig button. What? It doesn`t show my sig? That`s not fair!
----------
Dennis, Nell, Edna, Leon, Nedra, Anita, Rolf, Nora, Alice, Carol, Leo, Jane, Reed, Dena, Dale, Basil, Rae, Penny, Lana, Dave, Denny, Lena, Ida, Bernadette, Ben, Ray, Lila, Nina, Jo, Ira, Mara, Sara, MARIO, Jan, Ina, Lily, Arne, Bette, Dan, Reba, Diane, Lynn, Ed, Eva, Dana, Lynne, Pearl, Isabel, Ada, Ned, Dee, Rena, Joel, Lora, Cecil, Aaron, Flora, Tina, Arden, Noel, and Ellen sinned. [Mario sinned!]

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2001, 09:48:08 AM »
Bowser has had his faults in the past... So why doesn't he try to make up for them? Bowser is not that dumb... If he was, then how would you explain his clever ways of setting up all of the dangerous traps in his caslte(s)? Bowser is actually a genius with very low -- to no common sense. If Bowser did try to stop Mario by tossing all of his most dangerous deveces at him, then Mario would surely die, and there would be no more Mario games!

So the point of this whole lecture is: Bowser is a comeplete fool when it comes to killing Mario!

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2001, 03:51:53 PM »
Bowser's lacks street smarts, otherwise he would realize that to take over the mushroom kingdom, you must kill the royal family, not kidnap the princess and try to fall in love with her.

It's not a matter of optimism or pessimism, it's a matter of common sense! (half empty or half full?)

Print