Print

Author Topic: Minecraft: Wii U Edition... Should we consider it a Mario crossover?  (Read 5986 times)

« on: June 21, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »
Minecraft: Wii U Edition juste came out... As you may know, a Super Mario DLC is included in the game in which around 40 Mario characters skin can be selected and a whole world based around the Mario Universe is included...

Now... On TMK, this game is listed in the "Cameo appearances and allusions" section.

Here's my question... Is Minecraft: Wii U Edition is a Mario game or not?
I want every Mario games in my collection, excluding games in which Mario only makes cameos...
I include SSX on Tour and NBA street V3 since Mario, Luigi and Peach are playable and are on the boxart.
I include Skylanders: Superchargers since Bowser and Donkey Kong are playable and are also on the boxart.
I do not include Simcity on SNES because Bowser just makes a cameo. Same thing with Mario characters in Zelda games...

But with Minecraft... I'm still not sure if it should be considered a cameo or a crossover... The name Super Mario is on the boxart... But it is only character's skins, not actual characters.

What do you think about that? Should this game be included in a complete Mario collection?

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:25:38 PM »
Yes.

If you're including stuff like SSX on Tour, NBA Street V3, and Skylanders: SuperChargers, this should definitely count. It has an entire Mario world, which is definitely on par with characters in games like those. It also has sixteen Mario songs and over forty Mario skins. That's way beyond cameo-level.

From another line of rationale, if you have a Mario collection -that- inclusive and you have -that- much agony over whether to include a game, always include it. Otherwise you'll never sleep well for the rest of your life.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »
Hahaha! Thanks for the answer! You have a good point.

So maybe TMK should consider moving this game from the "Cameo appearances and allusions" list to the "Crossovers" one in the Wii U games page?

http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/games/WiiU

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 04:36:36 PM »
Who ultimately decides if this game is Crossover worthy or not?
Is it worth making a poll for this?

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 10:39:34 PM »
Deezer decides.

I think Minecraft: Wii U Edition should be the same category as what Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is. They both have some Mario environments, characters and music, but aren't Mario games overall.
Smash is currently in the "Crossovers" section. So, I agree with you.

Another oddity I noticed while looking at that page: why is NES Remix Pack in a different category than NES Remix and NES Remix 2?
(I think "Other" is the better choice for those since Mario games are a large portion of the gameplay. They're not cameos.)

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 10:56:04 AM »
I'm not sure what I want to do with Minecraft yet, but I agree the NES Remixes should be in "other" instead of "cameos."

Print