Print

Author Topic: Feats of Strength  (Read 6688 times)

« on: March 11, 2009, 12:34:47 AM »
Have you guys ever done something outrageously tough/strong before?

My friend and I, a few years back, wanted to see how long a human could go without a full night's sleep. "I think we oughta go an entire week without sleep," said my friend. "Let's go for two weeks if we can. Just...let's do it. It'll be awesome." So on Saturday, we didn't go to bed. In order to keep our energy up, we drank a lot of soda. For the first few nights, it was actually kind of easy. Sure, I was tired, but it was bearable.

After about a week however, I started hallucinating. It was really weird and almost surreal to say the least. At one point, I though my dog was coming out of my ceiling (I know, go ahead and laugh). On the 9th day of the experiment, I collapsed and woke up a few hours later. My friend had called it quits about a day before that. I was a little bummed that I couldn't go a little longer, but...it was fun.

So...have any of you guys done something similar to this? It doesn't have to be physically daunting, btw.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:50:45 AM »
(I know, go ahead and laugh)
As a person who regularly suffers from insomnia, this is no laughing matter for me.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 04:39:14 AM »
I can tear a phone book in half, which really isn't a feat of strength but a feat of technique.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »
I don't really do anything to show off my strength. I sometimes help my dad move hot tubs, which requires a fair amount of strength. And I can lift pretty heavy boxes and things I guess, but besides that, I can't think of anything.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »
I pretend-climbed 105 floors on a stair-climbing machine in 35 minutes.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »
Me and my cousin decided to see who could keep their hand in ice longest. He quit after a few minutes. I decided to keep going. I was asked how I could do it so long. I said "after a few minutes, I just can't feel the cold anymore. You just keep your hand in there until it doesn't feel cold anymore then it's pretty easy."
My cousin replied "that's called going numb."
"Is that bad?"

I have also kept my hand on electric buzzers for a while. And I put a shock collar ononce. I want to do it again =D.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 02:39:31 PM »
As a person who regularly suffers from insomnia, this is no laughing matter for me.

Oh man, I'm sorry. :(

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 04:05:24 PM »
I'm a wimp except in video game land.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »
In grade 8, these jocks were playing soccer unfairly and tripping me, and I ended up punching one of them** in the face (or trying, it's all a blur), resulting in a pretty bad fight for both of us.

(to clear things up I'm a total pacifist)

****and I'm talking about a big guy too, like a foot taller then me
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:42:34 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 05:40:35 PM »
I walked on the edge of an old, deteriorating bridge when I was very young, and fell, and was knocked out, and then I lived.

Of course that was more stupidity than anything else.

I haven't done much else that I can recollect other than a recent instance when staying outside for two and a half hours during a concert in the sprinkling rain weather of Monroe, Washington. I got sick for a while, but it was worth it. These northwest states are bizarre to me, being of more south and eastern areas.

I need to do more stuff.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 05:49:45 PM »
For some reason, the weather down here got really cold. It's about freezing right now and it's raining. I went outside with nothing on but some blue jeans and a tank-top and just...ran around for a while.

It was invigorating, but stupid.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 05:50:06 PM »
I was invited to a SuperBowl party some years back, and it was held at (and in) a nearby church. It came time to play a game where all the guests were given the chance to kick a football as far as they could. Since the friend who invited me (and his family) was friends with the minister, I got the first try.

All the other guests were lining up to watch me kick, and me, feeling a bit bold, decided I would try to run up and kick the ball. We were inside the church (not the church proper, moreso one of the youth gym areas), and I started running at the ball. There was this slick part of the floor about a foot from where I was going to stop running, but instead of stopping, I slid a bit and tried to stop myself from falling.

The foot I was trying to kick with was the same foot that was holding me up, yet it was still trying to kick the ball. I ended up jumping over the ball, landing impressivley about a foot infront of it, and my left foot still tried to kick. I tripped on the ball, jumped again, and again landed impressivley. Then I became aware of my surroundings. They were all laughing, and one person even yelled "quit dancing and kick it!"

The minister let me have another go (after they repositioned the ball) and I ended up getting second place on the kicking contest. I won some small prize that I can't remember now, and only lost to my friend's dad, who used the prize money to get us all ice cream later. Good times. :D
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 06:23:59 PM »
For some reason, the weather down here got really cold. It's about freezing right now and it's raining. I went outside with nothing on but some blue jeans and a tank-top and just...ran around for a while.

It was invigorating, but stupid.
I spent an hour and a half outside last night at 10 in moderately windy 30 degree weather in a T-shirt talking with a friend, largely consisting of summarizing the plot of the Death Note anime (he's only seen the movies), with lots of tangents along the way, like whether it's racially insensitive for a native English speaker to sing the English parts of J-pop songs in an affected Japanese accent (we both decided its not) and wondering out loud if Obama has any friends who pay taxes. When I got back inside, it took half an hour before I could type reasonably well, and when my arms started thawing out, it felt a lot like a sunburn.

Speaking of sunburns, I got a really nasty one at Creation Fest in 07. My leg got burned so bad it felt like it was broken -- the skin loses elasticity when it's burned, apparently, and then the aloe stuff I put on it basically glued my leg hairs together, exaggerating the effect. We ended up leaving early. Then for a long time after that (like more than a year), my arms still seemed noticeably redder on the side that got burned. I don't remember the last time I checked, but looking at them now, they look normal again, so maybe the frostbite last night finally canceled it out.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 09:39:59 PM »
I don't know if this counts, but I once karate-chopped a virtually empty water bottle and it sailed across the room and landed right-side up on a countertop. If there weren't one or two witness I'd think it had been a hallucination.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 11:02:58 PM »
I think that goes in the "feats of awesome" thread.
That was a joke.

Print