Country
3 (2.2%)
Various unclassifiable mashup genres
8 (5.9%)
I enjoy all musical genres
5 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Print

Author Topic: Favorite Music Genres  (Read 13016 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: March 15, 2009, 12:26:08 PM »
So, what are your particular favorite genres of music? I realize this list is far from comprehensive, but I didn't want to spend al day typing in every little sub-sub-sub genre or scene like emo-ambient or jazz-metal or country-house*.

*See "Cotton-Eye Joe" by Rednex. Or rather, don't.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 12:27:55 PM »
Where is the option for "video game music"?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »
That's missing as well as some other categories like Singers and Songwriters, Lounge, Videogame or Scatmusic, showtunes and other unclassifiable music. Anything but Radio Hip-Hop, all rap, all heavy Metal and Country music, anything else I like.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »
I voted classic rock, alternative rock, blues, classic hip-hop, electronic, ambient, other, jazz, classical, and the mash-up genres.

Video game music is not a genre. It's an umbrella term that includes basically anything (see: The World Ends With You).

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 12:45:41 PM »
I love classical. It's very soothing to listen to when working or when relaxing.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 01:10:26 PM »
A lot of mine weren't there, for example:  Folk, Folk Rock, Psychedelic Folk, Psychedelic, Psychedelic Rock

One thing that annoys me is people calling Pink Floyd "Classic Rock". It's not, it's psychedelic.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 03:25:31 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 01:27:35 PM »
I believe "Classic Rock" covers psychedelic rock. I seem to think of Pink Floyd as more progressive than psychedelic. Anyway, I chose Alternative Rock, Blues, Classic Hip-Hop, Electronic (in general), Jazz, Classical, and "I enjoy all musical genres."
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 01:37:04 PM »
What about Soft Rock, Pop, and New Age, for that matter? Or Religious, or Latin, or.... The list goes on, but those are some pretty major music genres. Entire radio stations are dedicated to those genres, and they're not even up there.

NONE of my favorite genres are up there.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 01:40:21 PM »
I find "other/misc. in general" to be much too vague. I found more than 10 options to pick, also. I suppose I could have just chosen "all" but that's kind of an inaccurate sampling method for a poll.

P.S. Religious isn't a genre. It's just subject matter. They use pre-existing styles. In whatever time period you want to talk about except the middle ages.
That was a joke.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »
It's most certainly a genre, just not a style. The poll is about genres, not styles, even though they're generally used interchangably.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 03:02:09 PM »
I'm going to pull the music history card and state that they mean the same thing.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 04:43:26 PM »
Latin can be applied to several genres - Latin Rock, Latin Hip-Hop (Cypress Hill is my favorite), etc. Ditto for psychedelic, religious, etc. Like I said, this isn't a massive genre genealogy chart; figure out what major genre what your favorite style fits into and pick that, I guess (for example, Soft Rock and Pop fall under general rock).
every

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 05:57:44 PM »
Shouldn't funk, soul and rhythm & blues be in this list? Their absence has caused James Brown to scowl in disapproval.

YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 05:58:03 PM »
Classic Rock covers bands like Creedance Clearwater Revival, not Pink Floyd, the Psychedelic band.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 06:04:47 PM »
Radio stations and sane people disagree. Classic rock is a blanket term to mean anything from the late '60s through the '70s.
That was a joke.

Print