Print

Author Topic: Napoleon Dynamite  (Read 9001 times)

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2005, 06:37:43 PM »
Deezer, the last sentence in your post took me by surprise and made me bust out laughing.

My favorite line from this groovy movie is obvious.

“Hey, lemme borrow your bike. C’mon, I’ll give you some chips.”
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2005, 06:49:28 PM »
I thought it was a good movie. The only complaint I had about it was that it could have been much, much funnier. I enjoyed all of those parts you guys have mentioned, but only while they were on the commercials, which, at that point were taken out of context, making them less funny, and then seeing those scenes again during the movie was not funny at all, because by then they were old hat. That's the way I process things, I guess, because I have a really good long term memory, and nothing is ever funny to me the second time around, except for the funniest things I've seen, in my own little world, like Melido Perez The Santa Lobster, or this image from Late Night with Conan Obrien:

My relatives can't seem to find the humor in them, but they still crack me up.

Edited by - Popple on 1/29/2005 4:50:47 PM

Let me away from this boulder!

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2005, 08:10:03 PM »
Sorry TEM, I have a bad memory when it comes to quotes, and I couldn't see it again to get the quotes right due to the fact that i lent it to my cousin.

Dang Jackie, I don''t want to kiss a short, pale and poor girl.
-Michael Kelso, That 70''s show_
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 01:45:15 AM »
Napoleon Dynamite Megamix

Napoleon Dynamite Soundboard

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 02:32:24 AM »
Those are great, Señor Dude! The first one is a bit too repetitive for me, but I still got a kick out of it, anyway. And at the second one I'm glad to see that my fave character Randy wasn't left out completely. Click "Come'on Napoleon, Give me some of your tots!" and "No go find your own!" to hear one of Randy's few lines over and over again. Once you get tired of it, watch the movie again so that you can relive everything he says and does and find the deeper meaning that hides within this deep and mysterious character.

. . . And I just sent them an e-mail suggesting that they add the rest of Randy's lines.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2005, 11:34:56 AM »
 I enjoyed the movie, as well as the short, short film it was based on.

I also was surprised how there was no cursing at all, throughout the movie. Quite irregular in the box office these days.

All in all, it was worth every second.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2005, 12:02:29 PM »
I just rode back from my Japanese language lecture. In class 太田先生 (Ohta sensei) said something that brought Napoleon's "Why don't you go eat a decroded piece of crap?!" line to my mind. I couldn't help it and just started laughing. No one else in the room was, of course, so I bit my lip to stop as fast as I could. But that didn't work very well because the line just keep playing over and over again in my head.

So I focused really hard on some Japanese characters (I think 質問) that were on the projector screens, trying to empty my mind of everything else. I managed to get that line out of there, but it game right back five or so minutes later when class ended. Then I smiled and laughed myself through a lot of the uphill, hard-breathing bike ride back to my room.

The lack of profanity in the movie can be explained, I think, by the fact that this movie was made by Mormons. However, I personally consider the "c"-word in the quote above and the "p"-word used by Kip at one point to be swear words and avoid using them myself. (But that doesn't mean I don't find them funny. X)

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2005, 05:13:27 PM »
Wow, Japanese people must have good eyesight, I can't distinguish those japanese figures from one another, they all look like squares.(jk)

Napoleon Dynamite is a happy movie.  It makes me happy.  If something can do that, it's gotta be worth something.  After all, you all are too.

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” -Atticus Finch
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2005, 09:59:24 PM »
You must love this character, then: 蠍. It means "scorpion."

Here are some characters that you might actually like:

任天堂

When they're arranged in that order, those three characters are pronounced Nintendoo (にんてんどう).

Why "e3"??

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2005, 10:08:47 PM »
*nintendo(u)

Just a little correction.  :)

PS: I loathe kanji.
"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2005, 11:10:17 PM »
What you have to see here is that...

Watoad didn't realize that Markio was joking that all the kanji were squares because he had no Japanese font and they really did all appear as squares.

Nameneko didn't realize that you can romanize double vowels like that. I know because that's the only rooma-ji style I ever learned.

I think.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2005, 11:23:43 PM »
I think, too. It helps the time go by.

Time slowed and Reality bent.
But on and on the Eggman went.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2005, 11:27:24 PM »
I could off about romanization of Japanese because there's actually more to it than you might think. But I loathe it as Nameneko does kanji, so I won't. At least not right now.

Suffice it to say, Nintendoo and Nintendou are both correct, but the latter is more common. The former, however, is generally easier for people without knowledge of Japanese to pronounce correctly.

Poor Markio. :(

Why "e3"??

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2005, 11:35:17 PM »
You don't have to feel sorry for me unless I feel bad.  And I don't, so there's no need to worry.

I also heard a rumor that the guy that played Napoleon Dynamite died.  I don't believe that.

Edited by - Markio on 2/20/2005 9:35:43 PM
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2005, 12:49:46 PM »
Ninjapirate started that rumor. How can anyone believe what he says? I mean, the guy said he crashed on the side of the road after Bambi streaked across the road and people still believed him? Retards.

Dang Jackie, I don''t want to kiss a short, pale and poor girl.
-Michael Kelso, That 70''s show_
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Print