Poll

What are your views on war?

It should be fought whenever possible even when it isn't needed
1 (2.9%)
It should never be fought even when innocent lives are threatened by the opposing side
7 (20.6%)
War ain't pretty, but sometimes it's necessary
19 (55.9%)
PaperLuigi smells
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Print

Author Topic: War  (Read 39475 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »
I was toying with the idea of using that joke when I first saw the thread, but then I decided not to because I'm lazy like that.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »
na, oil is the result of rampant speculation.

Drilling in ANWR or whereever in the US would drop oil prices and have zero effect on the price of a gallon of gas.

How does that work, exactly?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2008, 07:52:09 PM »
Well, see, the people that run gas stations sell gasoline exactly as it is drill from the earth, with no middlemen or refining processes to deal with at all. Even if there -were- other people handling the oil from rig to pump in some off the wall bizarro world, it's not like they'd ever be tempted to sell their refined product for anything more than the refining costs. And, certainly not at an excessive profit. Also, the oil barons who run gas stations are about as rich as pro athletes and wouldn't need to mark up gasoline any higher than it has to be because they all have money oozing out their wazoos.

Also, oil is really easy to extract from places with new refineries (owned by the gas stations, of course) and there's no lag whatsoever between building an oil rig and getting all the oil in America at once. And there's definitely plenty of oil in America, certainly enough to power all our cars for decades to come. And even if it weren't, I highly doubt oil exporting countries would ever artificially shorten supply to raise gas prices. I mean, with America's favorable world image, why would you want to do that?

In conclusion, I really have no clue what I'm talking about and drilling in ANWR will drop gas to $1.10 a gallon. iViva la revolucion!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:56:00 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2008, 11:16:02 PM »
So has this basically become the unofficial, generic political discussion thread now?
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2008, 11:48:08 PM »
I really wish we could've reflected on war history or something like that (sort of what I had in mind when I created this topic). But sadly, it looks like someone got their panties in a tightwad and now it's turned into a full blown political argument.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2008, 11:53:41 PM »
Well all the points presented in the opening post were wrong.
That was a joke.

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2008, 11:54:38 PM »
No they weren't.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2008, 08:04:06 AM »
I thought they were valid points...

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2008, 11:50:42 PM »
I don't see arguing here. I see valid political discussion. Arguments usually contain a lot of exclamation points. Big difference.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2008, 10:48:39 PM »
Well, see, the people that run gas stations sell gasoline exactly as it is drill from the earth, with no middlemen or refining processes to deal with at all. Even if there -were- other people handling the oil from rig to pump in some off the wall bizarro world, it's not like they'd ever be tempted to sell their refined product for anything more than the refining costs. And, certainly not at an excessive profit. Also, the oil barons who run gas stations are about as rich as pro athletes and wouldn't need to mark up gasoline any higher than it has to be because they all have money oozing out their wazoos.

Also, oil is really easy to extract from places with new refineries (owned by the gas stations, of course) and there's no lag whatsoever between building an oil rig and getting all the oil in America at once. And there's definitely plenty of oil in America, certainly enough to power all our cars for decades to come. And even if it weren't, I highly doubt oil exporting countries would ever artificially shorten supply to raise gas prices. I mean, with America's favorable world image, why would you want to do that?

In conclusion, I really have no clue what I'm talking about and drilling in ANWR will drop gas to $1.10 a gallon. iViva la revolucion!
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2008, 08:37:49 AM »
You mean there wasn't enough sarcasm oozing out of that post and people still took it seriously?

*headdesk*

(well, *headchair*, there's no desk in this apartment)
~I.S.~

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2008, 10:35:06 AM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that we probably shouldn't be drilling for oil anyway. We should be looking for alternative sources of energy rather than use the same crap that's screwing up our atmosphere.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
1. Why not? see #3

2. We are, but the stupid government/oil companies won't let us use them.  *coughcoughhydrogencoughcough*

3. It's not screwing up our atmosphere.  *prepares to take bashing about caring for the environment*

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2008, 10:44:31 AM »
For the first time in human history (2008), the polar ice caps will not have snow during the summer. You don't think that's a huge problem? Our world continues to heat up due to increased carbon emissions and it doesn't look like anyone wants to do anything about it.

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2008, 10:49:38 AM »
Guns should be destroyed.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Print