Print

Author Topic: Super Mario RPG sequel?  (Read 16918 times)

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2008, 11:35:16 AM »
I recommend thinking that taking 10 on someone is like taking 1,000.

Enemies from Final Fantasy wouldn't work, they'd look too serious. Having Mario and Cloud fight side-by-side wouldn't be unheard of - we've seen stranger teamups in Smash Bros. Brawl - but again, odd considering how serious Cloud is compared to, say, Mallow.

Yeah, I don't think they should include Final Fantasy characters.

There's really only one reason I skipped out on Paper Mario and its sequel: how everything's dumbed down to low HP levels. How you can never seem to make an attack that's more than 10HP. Made me felt eternally weak, made me felt like my options in battle were restricted,it was so different from everything I was used to - and not in a good way. I want the triple-digit numbers! I was also a bit ticked off that in Super Mario RPG, the highest level you could reach was 30 (but then, you're so powerful by that point that going beyond doesn't matter).

To tell the truth, Super Mario RPG Legend of The Seven Stars has a lot less options than Paper Mario or its sequel. Most special attacks usually consisted of "Tap A as fast as you can!" or "Circle the D-Pad as much as you can!" However, special attacks in the Paper Mario games have more diversity, and often have a greater result. The badge system also works well. Restricting the amount of Attack and Defense you can have (except in Super Paper Mario; that doesn't really restrict Attack, or have badges) works out fairly well with the stats of enemies and bosses.

Sorry for this off-topicness, but these are my current stats in Super Paper Mario: 350 HP, 80 Attack. I know some of you know I'm going for max stats, so wish me luck!
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
Paper Mario's battle system is very rarely fun, though. I mean, it's okay when you're playing but it's so slow and stilted compared to like every other RPG out there besides Final Fantasy on NES. And it has a bunch of annoying button sequences for you to press. I guess some people like that.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2008, 06:18:37 PM »
I don't think a standard watch-your-player-attack RPG would suit Mario at all.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »
I know... when I play old RPGs, I always just reflexively press A when I hit the enemy. Just makes me feel better....
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »
I tend to do that a lot myself.
That was a joke.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »
Paper Mario's battle system is very rarely fun, though. I mean, it's okay when you're playing but it's so slow and stilted compared to like every other RPG out there besides Final Fantasy on NES. And it has a bunch of annoying button sequences for you to press. I guess some people like that.

I understand what you mean, but if battles went by really fast, then some of the best boss battles won't even be memorable. I personally don't feel like I accomplish much if the battles go by fast, and when I press button sequences, I feel like I actually did something.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:41:03 AM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2008, 05:21:10 PM »
Button sequences are great. I love Xenogears. And I don't care if a battle is "long" or not, but when it takes 20 seconds to perform one attack it starts to grate on my nerves.  Button mashing for attacks seems especially useless to me.
That was a joke.

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2008, 10:12:42 AM »
Mario and Luigi: Kefka Destroys Mushroom Kingdom

I can see it all now...

Still though, if they put anything FF in a Mario game, Airships! And Chocobo vs Yoshi races.

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2008, 02:21:43 PM »
Button sequences are great. I love Xenogears. And I don't care if a battle is "long" or not, but when it takes 20 seconds to perform one attack it starts to grate on my nerves.  Button mashing for attacks seems especially useless to me.

Strangely, Mario and Luigi has my favorite attacks, what with all the button mashing.

Print