Print

Author Topic: DKC: Tropical Freeze  (Read 6063 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: June 21, 2013, 06:17:43 PM »
As you guys know, I love DKC Returns. It spanked the crap out of NSMB Wii in virtually every respect (unless you really wanna count 4 player multiplayer as the one "advantage" of NSMB Wii).

Now we have Tropical Freeze which will just be absolutely phenomenal. I thought Donkey Kong Country Returns could not have had more action and gorgeousness packed into it, but Retro Studios is proving me wrong with Tropical Freeze. I am already declaring the game better-looking, more action-packed, more dynamic, and more detailed than 3D World will ever be (because it is). Lemme tell you part of my reasoning: Retro Studios, I've noticed, designs their games with the moderately to moderately-advanced player already in mind. Just looking at some of the demo levels of the game, you can already tell that there are some pretty fantastic precision platforming/barrel situations (along with the freaking awesome camera angles and chases). The K-Levels in Returns were hard and manic. Like, freaking, SMB Lost Levels hard, but way more satisfying. I have no doubt that Retro will deliver those same types of levels again.

Nintendo is always harping on "PUTTING YOU IN THE ACTION. AS IF YOU ARE MARIO." I call BS all day and night. Retro Studios, I am confident, is the the master of this as far as 2D platforming is concerned. (I also know a lot of you loved the Metroid trilogy from them as well.) It feels awesome to live just 40 minutes north from where this greatness is happening and being developed.

Note to KoopaTrooper: I know you're going to post something about Nintendo being a family company, Mario being about people of all ages, how the grass blows in the wind in 3D World, or how said game will have 4 player support, but I'm preemptively declaring you wrong because you are.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »
Four player support is stupid, it just results in people bouncing off eachother and making no progress at all. Two players allows for more coordination.
Now with grandeur.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
Yeah, I totally remember how everybody constantly bounced off each other in Rayman Origins.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »
The mechanics of Rayman are different then they are in Super Mario or other platformers. I'm more talking about NSMBwii here.
Now with grandeur.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »
And Trainman is talking about DKC Tropical Freeze, what's your point?

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 08:30:15 PM »
He brought up the point of four players vs two players.
Now with grandeur.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:31:18 PM »
He brought it up but that wasn't his main point at all.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »
Yes. My main point was that Tropical Freeze is gonna be amazing.

(And to start a thread about it.)

Speaking of which, I'm not crying about Kremlings not being back again. No one cares when everything else is just so syrupy sweet.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 10:34:12 PM »
Apparently not. I haven't heard much of that complaint since DKCR was actually released.

I need to play DKCR eventually.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 07:34:19 PM »
If so, play it sooner than later. Definitely doesn't disappoint.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »
It helps that these new bad guys fit DK even more than the Tikis did.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »
Apparently not. I haven't heard much of that complaint since DKCR was actually released.

I need to play DKCR eventually.
If it makes you feel any better, I've only had SSBB for a month.

Print