Print

Author Topic: Mario movie compared to games...  (Read 4552 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: June 12, 2000, 09:19:35 AM »
How come the Mario movie is so diffeent from the games? The characters have been comletely changed and the story is nothing like the games'. Some odd things I would like to point out are:

King Koopa (Bowser) is a human being, instead of a giant spiked turtle.

Big Bertha is a fat human being, instead of a fat fish.

Toad is a tall punk rocker, instead of a small mushroom person.

Goombas are 10 foot tall reptiles, instead of small walking mushrooms.

Koopa uses "de-evolving guns" to kill Mario, instead of fireballs.

Fireballs that the cops use are shot out of guns, instead of thrown.

There are no policemen in the games.

Yoshi is a T-Rex, instead of a green dinosaur.

Luigi doesn't have a moustache.

Iggy and Spike (2 of Koopas kids) are human beings, instead of being spiked turtles.

Bob-Ombs are too tiny, instead of being the size of bowling balls.

No lava pits in Koopa's Castle.

Koopa's Castle is a skyscraper, instead of a castle.

Koopa and other inhabitants of Mushroom Kingdom evolved from dinosaurs, instead of being created by Koopa.

That's a lot of bad stuff in the Mario movie. If I had created the movie, I would've at least made it so it resembled the games...

Mario Maniac!!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2000, 10:53:45 AM »
I don't remember Toad, Yoshi, Big Bertha, Iggy, or Spike in the movie.  I guess I'll have to watch it again, I haven't seen it for a couple years.  If memory serves, Koopa looked like a human (except for those scales on his head) but in the end he reverted to his true dinosaurlike form.  That movie was made on too low a budget to really be true to the games, it was madt to be more or less in our world instead of a surreal (and expensive) Mario world.  
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2000, 10:39:08 AM »
It wasn't anything like the Mario games because it didn't have the Shigeru Miyamoto touch of gold...I know that Miyamoto probably wouldn't of wrote out the whole script, but he could've at least wrote an outline.

Kweeh! Kweeh!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2000, 12:57:40 PM »
Hollywood has been known to (bleep) up video game to movie transitions (coughStreetFighterMortalKombatWingCommandercough), so it's no suprise that the Mario movie is different from the games.

My advice is- don't go in to watching it expecting a flawless game-to-movie thing.

Although I liked the Roxette song at the end credits.... But that's just me.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2000, 10:33:37 PM »
They could have fixed all of those mistakes if they would have animated it (if they were doing it now, then they could do computer animation which would look mega-sweet) Although, I do like how Luigi is more of a hero than Mario is (how the princess is HIS girlfriend, etc.)
~Heir to the Royal Throne, the Baker of Many Cakes, Kisser of Many Noses,Bimbo Supreme, and Crybaby Extroidinaire,Her Royal Highness, the Noble Princess Peach Toadstool~

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2000, 06:36:10 AM »
They took Luigi's fear of heights from the cartoon, and gave it to Mario.

Spike isn't a Koopa Kid. Spike is the little green guy from World 3-7 in SMB3.

Since when could Koopa EVER get a girlfriend?

Luigi NEVER wore his cap backwards.

Mario was NEVER bald.

Why refer to them as Brooklyn girls when the one in the blue was from France?

I could go on and on about the SMB movie

Kamehameha!
Kamehameha!

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2000, 07:09:27 PM »
USELESS MARIO MOVIE FACT:

"Super Mario Bros." actor Bob Hoskins along with Peter Graves and **** Sergeant played the evil scientists trying to hunt down the hero in the 1970s B sci-fi movie "Parts: The Clonus Horror."
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2000, 05:09:17 PM »
I like the Super Mario Bros. Movie. But, that is only because I don`t see it as based on the games. If I saw it as based on the games, it would be the stupidest excuse for a movie ever made. Ever. I did kind of like the game references like:

The name Toad.

Thwomp is the name of one of Koopa`s army headquarters.

Iggy and Spike (although in the movie they were Koopa`s cousins)

The name Big Bertha

If you watch the credits there is
a scene were two Japanese businessmen are talking. They say: We are thinking of making a video game based on your adventures. What would you call it?" The camera turns to show not Mario and Luigi, but Iggy and Spike. Iggy: "Iggy`s World"
Spike:"The unstoppable Spike"
Together: "The Super Koopa Cousins"

Everybody walk the dinosaur.

*Looks inside of a candy bar wraper. Reads:* You have just won a Sony Plays.... Oh it`s crap!!
*Looks inside of a candy bar wraper. Reads:* You have just won a Sony Plays.... Oh it`s crap!!

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2000, 09:36:06 PM »
Ken- You hit the nail right on the head there.

When I want to see Mario stuff, I watch taped 'Mama Luigi' and 'Gopher Bash' (Okay, Luigi stuff, so sue me!), and maybe the movie, just for a cheapo laugh.

I'd personaly like to see one based on Super Mario RPG, since I JUST found out that Nintendo has all the rights to the charecters and such...... :-)

Print