Print

Author Topic: Poll: The Mario Cash-Cow  (Read 2594 times)

« on: August 21, 2000, 11:58:14 AM »
We all know that due to the overwhelming popularity of Nintendo's Mario character, many merchandising and licensing ploys have been used to maximise profits on the Mario story.  Here's the big question:

Do you think that the non-canon Mario games (Mario is Missing, Mario Teaches Typing, etc.) make the Mario universe a richer and more diverse place to be, or do they simply dilute the mix by adding stupid storylines?

I won't post my own opinion...

->- That''s no moon; it''s a space station. -<-
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2000, 03:31:28 PM »
Yes or no, depending on what you consider "canon" games.

"Lister, 'okay' is never a threat, no matter how many 'A's you put at the end of it."
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2000, 04:25:25 PM »
I think it's pretty obvious what the canon Mario games are, but I'll clarify-

I consider a canon Mario game to be one which directly adds to or supports existing Mario storylines.  In other words, Mario Kart and Mario Party don't count.  Nor do Alleyway or Link's Awakening.  Game Boy Camera isn't one either.  Here's a list of 'Hinopio's Canon Mario Games'

Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2- 6 Golden Coins
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2- Yoshi's Island
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario 64
Yoshi's Story
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2000, 05:06:53 PM »
I'd say "yes".
There are probably a few exceptions, but on the whole, yes, the non-canon games make the Mario universe a richer and fuller world.

But some just confuse the matter... *brain strains at the Baby-Mario-stood-alongside-Mario problem*

Fryguy - summoned from the flame
Ralph Wiggum "I bent my wookie!"
Wolverine "This is... a big round room!"
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2000, 03:25:49 PM »
For good games like Mario Kart and the like, I say yes. I say No when it comes to educational titles. Gag.

-Yoshi348
Your best defense against drunk driving: the Triple Green Shell!

Print