Print

Author Topic: It's the 3DS!  (Read 50721 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2010, 08:02:34 AM »
I'm here to help.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2011, 11:49:01 PM »
Three to five hours? Five to eight for DS games? Three hours to charge?

I'm assuming that's at the highest brightness setting, considering the DSi (whose battery is apparently a bit more than half the capacity of the 3DS's) gets more DS game battery life than that on medium brightness.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2011, 02:45:58 AM »
That's also due to Wi-Fi always being on when playing 3DS games.

Regardless, it's still loads better than the PSP2, which (judging from reports on its specs) should have an operating battery life of about twenty minutes.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2011, 07:43:28 AM »
Eh.  That's not that bad.  And yeah, if it's anything like the DS/Lite, Wi-Fi is a huge battery sapper.  It'd be nice if it were possible to turn the connection on and off.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2011, 08:05:43 AM »
What, you can't turn off Wi-Fi? Gimme a break... it's not just the battery life, it's the potential health issues.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2011, 10:53:02 AM »
potential health issues
I wonder if ShadowBrian complains about the potential health issues of moving vehicles or loaded guns.

Probably not, since they aren't developed by Nintendo.

At any rate, the system's not even out yet, so we don't know if you can't turn off wireless, just that they've said it's always on by default.

On the other hand, it's going to have automatic firmware updates, so who knows? Would defeat the purpose if you could just disable wireless and never have to see those. Unless it could only be disabled in-game and was forced to be on while you're at the system menu or in built-in apps...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »
I wonder if ShadowBrian complains about the potential health issues of moving vehicles or loaded guns.
I might, if there was a venue for doing so. Besides, I'm tentative about excess exposure to pretty any kind of signal--that's half the reason I don't want a cellphone.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2011, 06:30:44 PM »

Not only is it turn-offable just like on the Lite and DSi; it can now be turned off without even going through a menu.

I'm pretty sure they legally have to have a way to turn wireless off since it can screw with pacemakers and airplanes and stuff.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:35:22 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2011, 07:46:25 PM »
It's a switch now? Good deal.

Since firmware updates will almost certainly be included on new game cards and require installation to allow those games to run, I wonder if by "automatic" they mean it'll force the firmware update instead of letting you opt out (at the cost of not being able to play the game) like Sony's systems do.

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2011, 08:05:48 PM »
potential health issues.

Don't joke about that; my great-uncle turned into a mutant by standing too close to a microwave once.

As for the 3DS's battery life, it shouldn't pose a problem for me. I haven't unplugged my DS from the charger since October or November.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »
3DS is region-locked. Ugh.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »
Well, assuming updates aren't forced, you might be able to fix that when the inevitable homebrew community develops.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2011, 11:33:15 AM »
- March 27th (in America), $249. Blue and black; no red.
- One friend code per 3DS. No game-specific friend codes. Connect through local wireless with another 3DS and their friend code is automatically registered.
- 30 games in launch window.
- Take photos in Pilotwings Resort (presumably 3D)
- Augmented reality in Nintendogs + Cats (watch your puppies and kittens walking around on your real-life dining table or whatever)
- Quasi-multitasking -- press Home button during a game, go to the menu, do other stuff, and then go right back to the game.
- A screenshot of the camera software looks like you can add 3D bulges to photos in the album.
- Activity Log -- keep track of how much you play each game, and how much you walk. Walking earns Play Coins that can be used to unlock stuff in games.
- Virtual Console / *Ware replaced with eShop system -- merging of Shop Channel and Nintendo Channel, plus demos; cash-based rather than points-based. Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and 3DSWare at or near launch (3DS website says that a system update may be required).
-
- Music player (3DS Sound) about the same as on DSi, except in 3D, with some form of StreetPass (tag mode/local wireless) functionality, and compatible with MP3s (not just AACs).
- No new information yet about 3D videos in America.
- 2GB SD card included; supports SDHC, so can go up to 64GB.
- Transfer downloaded games from DSi to 3DS (*There is a limit to how many times transfers can be made. Some software may not be transferred. More Information Coming Soon). Hopefully also from 3DS to 3DS, because I want a red one.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:53:40 PM by CrossEyed7 »

« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »
- One friend code for every game. Connect through local wireless with another 3DS and you won't even have to register their friend code.

I know nobody would really know yet, but does this mean you have just one fc, or one fc per game (ie: I need a different fc for Mario Kart than I would need for Animal Crossing)?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »
It means you have one friend code. End of story.

Print