Print

Author Topic: High-Def Mario  (Read 231849 times)

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 01:24:50 PM »
Because it looks awesome.
I meant for the Wii.

We have a HDTV in our living room, and the HD channels don't show up right, there are gray bars at the top and bottom of the screen, effectively letterboxing what doesn't need to be. It looks just as muddy as regular definition channels.

For a short period of time, that wasn't the case, the gray bars weren't there, and it looked really nice, because a repairman fixed it a bit, and moved some wires around for the audio to work on the mode that showed HD without the gray bars. Though, one of the cats ran behind the TV and caused the wires to come out, and we have no idea where they go.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »
I meant for the Wii.
So did I. :)

We have a HDTV in our living room, and the HD channels don't show up right, there are gray bars at the top and bottom of the screen, effectively letterboxing what doesn't need to be. It looks just as muddy as regular definition channels.

For a short period of time, that wasn't the case, the gray bars weren't there, and it looked really nice, because a repairman fixed it a bit, and moved some wires around for the audio to work on the mode that showed HD without the gray bars. Though, one of the cats ran behind the TV and caused the wires to come out, and we have no idea where they go.

Usually there will be a setting in the menu that will let you change it from 4:3 to 16:9, which should get rid of the gray bars.

And if it looks as muddy as regular channels, it sounds like it's connected via composite or s-video.
Just make sure the component or HDMI cables are plugged in, and you should be good to go. (This is assuming you're using cable or satellite. If you're getting your HD over the air, I have no idea why it would be looking bad.)
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 10:42:02 PM »
Can you even get HD over the air?

Sounds like two problems are causing Vid's TV situation, but I doubt he'll do what it takes to fix either of them.

1) Animals in the house.

2) n00bs in the house.

-Lizard Dude

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 11:03:03 PM »
Well since it's not actually my TV, and I almost never watch anything on it, I honestly don't care. I've got a TV with cable hooked up in my room and I watch that.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 03:04:27 PM »
Can you even get HD over the air?
Yes, as long as your TV has an ATSC tuner. (Pretty much all HDTVs do. Otherwise they'll be labeled as HDTV monitors.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 03:13:04 PM by goodie »
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 08:48:13 AM »
The HD Mario is pretty disturbing, in my opinion
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 12:23:31 PM »
^ I think in everybody's opinion, really.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 01:03:13 PM »
HDTV is pretty awesome, and it probably works well with the Xbox and PS3 because they both play movies (Even though HDDVD is dead). I dunno about Wii HD, but I'm probably planning to buy some HD cables for it fairly soon.

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 01:39:48 AM »
Wii can't do HD, only basic progressive scan.

And HD is good for 360 and PS3 because they play games in HD. Who gives a spitting hen about movies?

-Lizard Dude

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 02:25:36 AM »
Well earlier I moved my Wii down to the widescreen downstairs, and Brawl with widescreen is awesome, so I'm keeping it down there for awhile.

About the HD with gray bars/no sound:

The gray bars appear on the top and bottom of the screen, not on the sides, so the picture resolution of HD channels is neither 4:3 nor 16:9. It appears letterboxed when it doesn't need to be. When the correct display (16:9, actual hi-def) without the gray bars is chosen, there's no audio. We had both the cable guy and a TV repairman at our house at two different times, both of them showing us cool things about HD. The TV repairman did something with the A/V cables that allowed our TV to utilize the surround sound rather than just the DVD player, though the DVD remote was required for volume control at all times. When he did this, there was actual audio for the HD channels in the correct display. The cable guy set the TV so that when it is flipped to an HD channel, it automatically set itself to the correct display without the gray bars, and back again when it's changed to a non-HD channel.

When one of the cats ran behind the television, a cable or two was pulled out (No LD we don't let the cats outside, as they could run away, we've had bad past experiences, we're not in Montana.), and we went back to the "wrong" display with the gray bars on the top and bottom of the screen with HD (To avoid this when I'm watching TV downstairs I just don't watch any of the HD channels), and none of us can remember for the life of us what went where to make the really good stuff happen again.

There are about 1,500 jacks in the back of the TV and 400 in the back of the DVD player, and a bunch of unplugged cables in the back of the set, and we're not going to go waste our time trying to figure out the correct combination.

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 03:19:45 AM »
No LD we don't let the cats outside, as they could run away
Your cats sound like they don't love you very much.

Let them out, they run away, problem solved.

I'll bill you later.

-Lizard Dude

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 09:17:45 AM »
LD, that was mean. Why don't you call the TV Repairman a second time to have them fix it?

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »
Let them out, they run away, problem solved.

-Lizard Dude
Ever since you've been relieved of your staff duties you've been a real jerk.

Why don't you call the TV Repairman a second time to have them fix it?
It'd cost us more money we don't have. Plus, he'd be in our house for all of one minute, because that's most likely how long it'd take to set up if you knew what went where.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 12:02:54 PM »
Why don't you read the instructions?
That was a joke.

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 12:30:42 PM »
With our luck they were probably thrown away. My father's not one to keep things that come with appliances or electronics, and being the one who watches TV the least in this family (despite the fact that he's trying to get his own show picked up by a network right now) he doesn't care at all.

If it were mine, I probably would've saved it somewhere. I still have the Wii manual in the box which is still in my room.

(You guys don't seem to see that my posts here are now asking for assistance. I really would like to see actual High Definition on this widescreen downstairs, but I'm just getting smart-alecky comments from everyone that I'm sure you'd all HATE to get from someone else.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 12:47:48 PM by Vidgmchtr »

Print