Print

Author Topic: 2010 Nintendo Power Calender  (Read 12749 times)

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 10:24:08 PM »
A Calender that doesn't sell Calenders is like a Burger King that doesn't sell Burgers.

Actually, a Calender that doesn't sell Calenders is like a Burgar that doesn't sell Burgars. Just sayin'.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 10:28:45 PM »
Frick! I was too late to realize I forgot to put the "Stores" part on "Calender Stores." >_<

Btw, Burger is spelt "Burger."

I'm not lying.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:31:17 PM by Tv_Themes »
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 11:01:17 PM »
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 02:38:48 AM »
Btw, Calendar is spelled "Calendar."
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 07:45:57 AM »
I dislike Nintendo Power and extreme political correctness, but this is certainly a tempting package... though I probably should focus on trying to get a copy of last year's poster book before anything else.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 08:10:55 AM »
This thread was really sort of the last straw for me.  I'm off to go add another nomination for the WTD award in my Winter Awards votes.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »
I went to Barnes & Noble and STILL didn't find it. >_>

Btw, Calendar is spelled "Calendar."

According to Safari Browser, both are okay.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 02:14:54 PM »
So is burgar if you right click on it and click Add to dictionary.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 02:50:35 PM »

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »
Must be the island boy in me... we spell "Harbor" as "Harbour."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 03:49:48 PM »
No, just the misspeller in you.

Main Entry: cal·en·der
Pronunciation: \ˈka-lən-dər\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cal·en·dered; cal·en·der·ing \-d(ə-)riŋ\
Etymology: Middle French calandrer, from calandre machine for calendering, from Vulgar Latin *colendra cylinder, modification of Greek kylindros — more at cylinder
Date: 1513
: to press (as cloth, rubber, or paper) between rollers or plates in order to smooth and glaze or to thin into sheets
— cal·en·der·er  \-dər-ər\ noun

The calender is a series of hard pressure rollers at the end of a papermaking process (on-line). Those that are used separate from the process (off-line) are also called "supercalenders". The purpose of a calender is to smooth out the paper for printing and writing on it, and to increase the gloss on the surface.

The word "calender" itself is a derivation of the word kylindros, the Greek word for "cylinder".

In the past, the paper sheets were worked on with a polished hammer or pressed between polished metal sheets in a press. With the continuously operating paper machine it became part of the process of rolling the paper (in this case also called web paper). The pressure between the rollers, the "nip pressure", can be reduced by heating the rolls and/or moistening the paper surface. This helps to keep the bulk and the stiffness of the web paper which is beneficial for its later use.

Modern calenders have "hard" heated rollers made from chilled cast iron or steel, and "soft" rollers coated with polymeric composites. This widens the working nip and distributes the specific pressure on the paper more evenly.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 04:42:38 PM »
The word "calender" itself is a derivation of the word kylindros, the Greek word for "cylinder".

What does a calender have to do with a cylinder? Honestly.
"I'm a grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss!"- Bowser, SPM

CrossEyed7

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 04:57:31 PM »
Calendars have nothing to do with cylinders, but hard pressure rollers (calenders) do.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 06:55:28 PM »
I suspect the reason such holidays are missing has nothing to do with Nintendo being atheist, but rather not wanted to pen down a date when various regions in their market celebrate on different dates.  Remember that this is not an American calendar, but rather from the UK and originally intended for Europe where many countries celebrate Christmas on January 7th.  Should they have put Christmas on both December 25 and January 7th? 

In other words, this is part of Nintendo's recent switch to producing guides, instruction manuals, and etc. for multiple regions and trying to satisfy each without offending the others.  Think of the old games that had crosses, stars, or crescents that where dropped or changed to generic symbols when released/re-released in multiple regions.  Would you be as offended if they had littered the calendar with holiday's from all the worlds other religions? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 07:52:19 PM »
It's an American magazine, so it really ought to have widely-accepted American holidays in its calendar. It did in the past.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print