Print

Author Topic: FBI pc blocked message??  (Read 6666 times)

« on: December 11, 2012, 02:13:40 AM »
So, apparently the FBI has blocked my computer for some reason (I'm on the 3ds as I type this..)
I was on facebook when what seemed to be a pop-up window appeared. It seems to have the official US FBI logo at the top, and tells me "this pc is blocked due to one of the reasons listed below" and a number of things I haven't done is listed.
It would seem that the only  way to "close" the window (since it popped back open upon computer restart) would be to pay the 300 dollar fine fee. But I don't have 300 dollars.. What do I do?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:31:14 AM »
That sounds more like a virus to me.  Reboot in safe mode and see if you can get a good anti-virus to take care of it.  Like Malwarebytes.
Go Moon!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
That is, in fact, a virus. Malwarebytes and AVG are known to get rid of it, if you're able to start the computer in safe mode. If that doesn't work, try logging in as a different user (assuming you've got more than one user account on the computer), as that particular piece of malware only seems to affect the user account that downloaded it.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
no man

you shouldn't have downloaded that mp3

(In all seriousness, if this was the real fbi I think that would violate your right to deny searches and seizures)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:03:46 AM by Ym9iYnlzcTEzMzc equalsign »
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »
I've found that yes, I can boot in all forms of safe mode. But I don't know what else I can do with that though..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »
What OS version are you using?  Do you have an antivirus program installed?  BG mentioned Malwarebytes and AVG.  Both are good, but the only thing I run is Microsoft Security Essential. 

Edit: 

Assuming you are using some version of Windows here are Safe Boot instructions:  http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7security/remove-viruses-malware-safe-mode/

Here is a tool direct from Microsoft that should remove the virus:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16

In the future I suggest always keeping Microsoft Security Essential running:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:01:15 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 12:28:28 AM »

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:57:59 AM »
Well, it's just as well that I couldn't use the computer. I was sick most of the day yesterday.

My mom, who is a librarian and runs a computer lab, knew what to do.. It had something to do with booting in safe mode and installing other types of virus/malware scanners. I use Micorsoft Security Essentials, but this one appeared to have slipped through (being a trojan virus, of course it would).

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »
Don't you hate it when your mom knows more about computers than you do?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 09:43:54 AM »
It's something I've learned to live with. XD

I know just enough about setting up game consoles and connecting them to the internet to get by..

Print