TMK Stuff > Site Discussion

Sigh... where is everyone?

<< < (4/12) > >>

Glowsquid:
Kids used to sign-up on forums en-masse because that was the only way they could talk about their favourite vidcons. Nodaway, the Tumblrs, Youtubes and Reddits fill that void and people go on wikis for information, which have left the straight informational fansites without a niche to define themselves, just as straight sites and forums did Usenet in eons ago.

--- Quote ---I think another big issue is the fact that people used to come to TMK for information, but now keep going to Mario Wiki instead (even though people with brains can tell Wikis are actually really stupid in practice!).
--- End quote ---

[There used to be something much more vulgar and mean-spirited here, but on further reflexion, taking it to PMs is a better idea.]

Suffix:
Usenet, there's an interesting parallel.

isoldmyname:
You know what TMK reminds me of? Tr's Rockin.
I just hope it doesn't suffer the same fate.

Weegee:

--- Quote from: Bulbapedia ---In February 2011, TR Rose decided to close down the site, and is now focusing on her new website, MeowAbout Cosplay.

--- End quote ---

I somehow doubt we need worry about that.

TheMightyThor:
People complaining about those lame ass clickbait websites should check out The Onion's new clickbait parody site, ClickHole.

As Suffix has put much better, I feel like websites like TMK aren't really "necessary" in today's climate. Just browsing TMK brings heartwarming nostalgia; it has basically the same layout as it's had for years (I remember this awesome black color scheme being here since I was 8, and I'm half-sure the format's exactly the same) and an old-fashioned forum with a community of jaded college students or even recent (or not-so recent!) graduates who were here in high school and possibly even before. (Except for younglings like me who were on this site way too young ;]) [dukar], TMK still hosts MIDIs! I have a really large MIDI and SoundFont collection on my computer, but I don't think anyone else on Earth does. Doesn't TMK still have one of those little official banners? You know, those really small gifs that Mario/Nintendo sites put on other Mario/Nintendo sites back then, so they could be like a network?

We aren't going to get many new members unless we do some kind of social media or YouTube thing. Like, a bunch of TMK users all post videos of them playing or showing off Mario games (spinoffs or otherwise) to the official TMK YouTube channel. Maybe Mario TAS stuff...pssh, like that would ever happen!

Just be glad TMK never went the way of NintendoLand, the ultimate old school Nintendo fansite that had a *****in' layout that fascinated younger me that's now reduced to just a forum. You can't even view it in the Wayback Machine without seizure inducing constant refreshes completely disrupting the experience! I'm glad TMK is what it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version