Print

Author Topic: IGN says Mario Galaxy isn't popular  (Read 4897 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:41:28 PM »
Okay, that title is a bit misleading, but take a look.

IGN Entertainment released its latest GamerMetrics report, and it'll come at a surprise for Mario fans. The GamerMetrics list gauges reader interest in games through surveys and user activity on IGN's sites, including IGN.com, TeamXbox.com and Fileplanet.com. While the first two games listed aren't a surprise to anyone (Halo 3, GTV IV), it's the lack of Super Mario Galaxy (on the list) that perplexes me. This could be blamed on lack of information, but interestingly enough, Super Smash Bros. Brawl did crack the top 5, which hasn't even had a full roster announced yet. Of course, Mario fans need'nt fret; Super Pario Paper Mario comes in at number two on the list of games that have been released. Below I've included the top five in both categories.

Top 5 unreleased overall

1. Halo 3
2. Grand Theft Auto IV (360)
3. Mass Effect
4. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Top 5 released overall

1. God of War II
2. Super Paper Mario
3. Crackdown
4. Pokemon Diamond
5. Guitar Hero II (360)

Of course, maybe SMG came in at number 6. I guess the world will never know...

Link: gamasutra.com
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »
Given the other games' popularity and the lack of hype from Nintendo, I don't really see any reason that SMG should be on the list.  And SSB is more popular that just Mario by himself if you look at GC sales numbers.

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 01:15:26 PM »
Good points. Yeah, Xbox 360 has some powerful titles coming out.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:26:27 PM »
You can't spell ignorance without IGN.

I'm sorry, but I didn't read the article at all. Any news or info that comes from IGN is total garbage. They used to be a good free site, but then they decided to start moving everything over to their IGN-sider (or whaterver the heck it's called).

They weren't content just asking people nicely to please click on a banner and visit their sponsors.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:23:56 PM »
God of War sounds pathetic, and GTA is also a dumb title.

The word about SMG is common on other sites, and I think it wouldn't be that great anyway. You collect 120 of something (Stars, Shines, etc). I did not play SMS for long, but I did complete SM64DS.
Yo, I'm Matty Underscore G Thirty-Three!
And I need a freaking clue...

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 09:30:28 AM »
I'm going to cool down and ignore that for now...

But, Toad, what does IGN's quality have to do with this? I mean, you didn't even read the article. Besides, SMG's ranking on some list will have no effect on anything.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 04:44:56 PM »
I think it's probably because the game keeps getting pushed back, so people lose interest in it in lieu of other big-name games.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print