Print

Author Topic: Graffiti Ruins Mario Art  (Read 19809 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: May 08, 2008, 02:56:56 PM »

What a shame. Look at that wall; it was a boring slice of vertical concrete boxcar until one brave gamer gave it life. Then, someone came and tagged. When will people learn the fine line between art and vandalism?

In all seriousness, I can't tell if the Mario art was meant to incorporate the ghetto-tag, but it still looks cool!

Link: kotaku.com

Thanks Louis!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:49:43 PM by Super-Jesse »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
Well, it is on a wall, so you do have to represent and put some graffiti on it too! I think it looks good. And It's not going over anything either.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
That looks awesome.
Ditto used Machop!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 03:35:43 PM »
In all seriousness, I can't tell if the Mario art was meant to incorporate the ghetto-tag, but it still looks cool!
It is. Look more closely at them.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »
It is. Look more closely at them.

*bangs head against monitor* Oh yeah I see it now.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »
If I was a graffiti artist, I would definitely do art like this.
Ditto used Machop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 05:15:51 PM »
It's cool-looking.  More gamers [with art talent] need to graffiti.

Kidding.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 05:26:47 PM »
Kidding? Imagine what that wall/boxcar looked like before, or what it would've looked like with boring old gang-related graffiti on it. Like a big heap of trash. Now people who pass by can look at it and smile. It's Mario!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 05:58:14 PM »
He was probably kidding about the idea of promoting vandalism, since it's a crime. Though seeing this, I don't think it should be a crime, unless it's some stupid gang related tagging.
Ditto used Machop!

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 07:59:59 AM »
He was probably kidding about the idea of promoting vandalism, since it's a crime. Though seeing this, I don't think it should be a crime, unless it's some stupid gang related tagging.
Graffiti are vandalism, but not those like this! These are pieces of art!

...Then it gives a lot of colors to that place! =)

*We had also some trains fulled with graffiti, but this was an idea of our region, because it gave much more color to thos old and grey trains. I hope they will draw something like this in the future! XD
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »

Exactly.  Although if they have permission to "spruce up" ugly old walls and such, go for it!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 11:26:29 AM »
Graffiti are vandalism, but not those like this! These are pieces of art!

...Then it gives a lot of colors to that place! =)

*We had also some trains fulled with graffiti, but this was an idea of our region, because it gave much more color to thos old and grey trains. I hope they will draw something like this in the future! XD

Unfortunately though, the law doesn't see it as art. :(
Ditto used Machop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 03:25:48 PM »
The world is too rigid like this. It's a mural, in a league completely different from marking gang territory. The artist(s) probably didn't have specific permission to paint it, but if whoever owns that boxcar has no problem with it, then there's no problem. Painting something this large for anyone who looks to see is no more a crime than street performances. Besides, it's not like it's on a department store's wall or something. It's on what was once an eyesore, probably already tagged at least once.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 03:43:43 PM »
Not that I disagree, but paint, unlike street performers, is permanent.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 08:41:06 PM »
Though, to be honest, if someone spraypainted that onto the side of my house, I'd thank them, it'd be awesome.
Ditto used Machop!

Print