Print

Author Topic: TMK @ GDC 2007  (Read 7727 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: March 08, 2007, 01:16:52 AM »
Yes, I'm attending GDC in San Francisco.  As you might have heard, Nintendo cannot talk about their future plans at the show due to a pending Nintendo stock sale from the Japanese government.  Even still, there are several games playable including Super Paper Mario and Mario Strikers Charged.  Koji Kondo and Shigeru Miyamoto are also speaking.  Also on Friday night is a Video Games Live concert where many people including Koji Kondo and the Video Game Pianist will be performing.  I have a backstage passes thanks to Tommy Tallarico, and I'll be checking out their rehearsal.

Today, I attended talks from Keiichi Yano (Gitaroo Man, Ouendan, Elite Beat Agents) and Koji Kondo.  I also played all of the Nintendo games available.  I'll be posting impressions tonight as well as summaries of the talks either here or on Nintendo World Report.  For now, however, I just wanted to post a link to the raw photos and videos that I took today.  Unfortunately, I don't have a nice DV cam like Chupperson, but I did take several video clips, particularly of Super Paper Mario.  There's also some interesting Ouendan prototype footage and Ouendan 2 teasers.

There will be plenty more to come over the next couple days.

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 02:36:49 AM »
Koji Kondo is very shiny.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 07:19:53 AM »
I'm not sure how much there'll be to say, now that they'll have their lips sealed, but I suppose some SPM impressions couldn't hurt.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:50:36 PM »
So what are the chances we'll see some more info on Brawl then?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 06:24:49 AM »
I watch the new video of Super Mario Galaxy on IGN.  Dang, late 2007 just can't come fast enough :(

BTW, what is a "Stock sale" and how is it going to effect Nintendo?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 04:28:04 PM »
It seems to me that I would enjoy attending a conference like this even more than E3. It seems a lot more professional.

You've taken some good footage! Good job, Megabyte.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 05:14:28 PM »
Um Robert, you know, it's like, a sale of some Nintendo stock.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 07:26:55 PM »
Um Robert, you know, it's like, a sale of some Nintendo stock.

Oh. Heh, I should have known that (like on the stock market, or they're actually selling some of their unsold merchandise?)

If it's okay to ask, who is investing in/buying some of their stock? Probably Sony, Lol.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 07:28:31 PM by Robert »

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 01:51:24 AM »
The Japanese government owned a lot of Nintendo stock. Nintendo recently asked them to sell it to open up more shares for normal consumers and the government agreed.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 06:41:09 PM »
The Japanese government owned a lot of Nintendo stock. Nintendo recently asked them to sell it to open up more shares for normal consumers and the government agreed.

Ah, I see now.

I'd certainly love to invest in some of Nintendo's stock. Too bad I don't live in Japan :(

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 07:41:46 PM »
It seems to me that I would enjoy attending a conference like this even more than E3. It seems a lot more professional.

Definitely.  To all of the above.  Friday turned out particularly well.

You've taken some good footage! Good job, Megabyte.

Thanks, all of my footage is up now, including the Video Games Live concert.  I'm still writing up articles, which will hopefully be done soon.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 07:45:17 PM »
I'd certainly love to invest in some of Nintendo's stock. Too bad I don't live in Japan :(

Actually, you don't have to live in Japan to buy Nintendo stock.  NTDOY.PK

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 01:51:48 AM »
I had forgotten all about this until last week -- good to know you made it, MB.

I really need to get back into the "loop" again. Stupid work/school.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 07:54:16 PM »
I had forgotten all about this until last week -- good to know you made it, MB.

I really need to get back into the "loop" again. Stupid work/school.
I'll probably be out of the loop for some time.  I'll take your work/school and raise you a seven month old.

GDC seem more E3ish than ever, and I like what I've seen so far.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print