Print

Author Topic: Your Desert Island List  (Read 9498 times)

« on: March 10, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
Tomorrow you'll become stranded on a desert island for an indefinite period of time. Pick the entertainment you'll be stuck with - five things in each category. Compilations are fine, but let's avoid "collected works" of any medium. Technicalities are a non-issue; you'll be provided with all the technology and electricity needed. Note that your choices won't affect the duration of your stay, so there's no point in picking How To Build a Raft Out of Coconuts as a book or Big Blinking Light That Attracts Passing Ships as a game (unless that's your thing).

EDIT: Also, no internet/DLC/online multiplayer.

Games:
-
-
-
-
-

Books:
-
-
-
-
-

Albums:
-
-
-
-
-

Movies:
-
-
-
-
-
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:56:05 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:52:44 PM »
Games:
- Persona 3
- Tales of Vesperia
- Tales of the Abyss
- Tales of Eternia
- Tales of Legendia

You think maybe I like Tales games a little bit? Anyway, all of these games are long, all of them are ones I've been meaning to play for some time (or in the case of Persona 3 and Tales of Vesperia, games that I have started but not finished), and the Tales games have a whole lot of replay value to them. So if I'm to be stuck on this deserted island for a while, I won't be without something to play.

Books:
- The Bible
- Legacy of the Drow by R.A. Salvatore (I'm gonna assume that a short series is fine, here.)
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
- The Disenherited by Steve White
Crap, I can't think of any more books. I should read more...

Albums:
- Orbital Period by Bump of Chicken
- Test for Echo by Rush
- Power Windows by Rush
- These Hopeful Machines by BT
- Today is a Beautiful Day by Supercell

An interesting note about the first album on this list: even though it's not my favorite band, and doesn't include all of my favorite songs by said band, it's still my favorite album out of all the albums I've heard. All of the songs on it fit together very well, and it doesn't get old, no matter how many times I listen to it.

Movies:
- Donnie Darko
- Sucker Punch
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
- The Prestige
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:19:20 PM »
You said technicalities are a "non-issue", but does that mean this desert island has the capabilities for online multiplayer gaming? Because the availability of multiplayer would change my game list completely but seems to fly in the face of the concept of being isolated with limited art to entertain yourself.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:55:42 PM »
Fixed.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 12:08:06 AM »
Games
-Punch-Out!!
-The Orange Box
-Dead Rising
-Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (hacked to fix the brick physics in SMB and Lost Levels)
  -Unless I could also have a computer here, in which case I'd have New Super Mario Bros. Wii and just use Reggie! to hack the levels to be whatever past Mario game I felt like playin
-BioShock

Books (I don't read a lot, guilty)
-Watchmen
-You Might Be A Zombie And Other Bad News
-Some kind of encyclopedia
-Ten Million Blank Pages Of High-Quality Paper Holy Crap! (includes infinite mechanical pencils, who knows)
-The Giving Tree

Albums
-Paradise Theater (Styx)
-Greatest Hits I (Queen)
-Permanent Waves (Rush)
-Zenyatta Mondatta (Police)
-Very Best of Foreigner

Movies
-Gremlins
-North By Northwest
-Empire Strikes Back
-The Jerk
-RoboCop

Somethin like that
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 12:29:18 AM »
Incomplete for now.

Games:
-Super Mario World
-Super Mario 64
-Pokemon Platinum
-The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
-

Books:
-lol who reads anymore
-
-
-
-

Albums:
-1 - The Beatles
-The Essential - Bob Dylan
-Greatest Hits - Neil Young
-Ultimate! - The Yardbirds
-God Bless Tiny Tim - Tiny Tim

Movies:
-Rebel Without A Cause
-The Blues Brothers
-
-
-

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:17:37 AM »
Games:
- n+, DS
- Punch-Out!!, Wii
- SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition plus a bunch of mods, PC
- The World Ends With You, DS
- Personal Trainer: Cooking, DS

n+ is there because I'd want to have one game there just to spend the rest of my life mastering, and off the top of my head (what I can see from where I'm sitting without getting up), that seems like a good one. Level editor and everything. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron might be another option. Punch-Out!! in case I need a workout, or just to laugh at funny foreign people. Also, by having a Wii game, I ensure, by the terms of this deal, that I will have some good shelter (as I would need it to be inside for the pointer to work). SimCity can last forever, though RollerCoaster Tycoon (the original) would be a pretty close second for that spot, considering I've been playing it just about non-stop for the last twelve years (even though I still haven't cleared all the scenarios) (By the way, can I assume that, if I have a PC, I also have a suite of basic, non-gaming programs on it? Paint and Gimp would be enough to make new regions for SC4; a word processor and maybe Adobe CS4 would be nice too) (Oh, also, the new SimCity coming out next year would replace this, if it turns out to not suck). The World Ends With You I feel like I could probably spend a pretty long time 100%ing (though I would need to assume that I have either a Wii with the Nintendo Channel downloaded on it, or some kind of thing to emit wireless signals that the DS would notice, or a second DS with another copy of the game, as there are some pins that need Tag Mode XP to evolve). And if the island is nice and big and has lots of exotic foods on it, why not include Personal Trainer: Cooking? There'd probably be something relevant in there (if not, then go ahead and put RollerCoaster Tycoon in that spot. Or, the DS cart 100 Classic Books, if that's not cheating. If that is cheating, then I'd also consider Metroid Prime Trilogy. Probably RCT, though.). I feel kinda bad for not including a Mario game. World, 3, and Thousand-Year Door would be at the top of the list for consideration on that front -- World and 3 for mastery, and Thousand-Year Door because it's the most vibrant, fully-realized world in any Mario RPG, and I'm sure I'd be in the mood for some escapism.

Books:
- A parallel Bible with the 2011 NIV and The Message. Unless the suite of programs on my PC includes e-Sword, in which case I suppose I'd replace this slot with a single-volume compilation of Narnia (been meaning to get around to reading that again for a while now), but with the books rearranged into release order, not chronological order.
- Machine of Death, edited by Ryan North, David Malki!, and Matthew Bennardo. A big collection of great short stories, each one of which could potentially inspire me to write my own book on my presumptive word processor.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling, because I'd want the one with the ending and the happy.
- House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, because I'd have the time to dissect it all.
- Realms Unreel by Audrey Auden, because I just started it a few days ago and haven't finished it yet and it's pretty good so far. This spot could just as easily go to The Hunger Games for the exact same reasons, but that'd have to be the whole trilogy probably, and I guess it feels kinda cheap to have two full-series compilations on here? (I'd get a full Harry Potter compilation too if that's allowed) Actually, I guess I just wanted to bolster my indie cred.

There's a good chance that after a few decades, I'd be wishing I'd brought either Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman or The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss.

Albums:
- Your Sparkling Death Cometh by Falling Up
- No, Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical by Showbread
- Baten Kaitos II: The First Wings and the Heirs of God OST by Motoi Sakuraba
- Multi-dimensional: Sonic Adventure 2 OST
- The Essential Weird Al Yankovic by Weird Al

I've listened to Sparkling Death about thirty times according to Windows Media Player, and I haven't gotten sick of it yet. Close call between that and Discover the Trees Again (their best-of album), though. Nihilism is a very well put-together album, and it has Mouth Like A Magazine, which I will never get tired of rocking out to. Although their new album coming out this year, Cancer, may well displace it. Who knows? Also, Anorexia/Nervosa would be a close call on that, though more so if Mouth Like A Magazine weren't a factor. The Baten Kaitos Origins OST almost feels like cheating, as it's quite long (3 discs). I picked it over the first game's OST mostly because of "Le ali del principio" and "The broken manas and my one and only", though I'd certainly be okay with either one. Multi-dimensional has all the level and boss themes from Sonic Adventure 2, including "Escape From the City" and "Live & Learn". It would be a much bigger nostalgia trip than the other album that has just the character theme songs, and if I'm spending the rest of my life on this island, I think there'd be quite a few nights when I'd get a lot of comfort from that. And of course, for my last choice, I had to go with Weird Al. Actually took a while to talk myself out of My Worlds: The Collection (a compilation of My World, My World 2.0, and My Worlds Acoustic), as it would be fun to sing along to them all. I figure Weird Al has that pretty much covered, though, with more and better songs, some of which can even be kinda serious, in his own way.

Movies:
- Rebel Without A Cause, 1955
- The Fall, 2006
- Modern Times, 1936
- Hercules in New York, Super Mario Bros., Birdemic: Shock and Terror, or The Room; or an episode of MST3K (not sure which one, or even whether it'd be Mike or Joel)
- If a complete-series DVD set of a TV show can count, either Death Note or Boy Meets World. Probably the latter (and not just because it's a lot more episodes). If not, then probably Return of the Jedi. Empire is a better movie, but again, I think if I'm spending the rest of my life here, I'd prefer the one with the ending and the happy.

Also, I'd be cheating a little on this, as I have A Goofy Movie, The Lion King, and most of Aladdin in my head.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:33:08 AM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:21:45 AM »
I think an interesting wrinkle to add to this game would be that once a year, you're allowed to visit the island of one other person in the room who's playing (same person every year).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:33:13 AM »
Empire is a better movie, but again, I think if I'm spending the rest of my life here, I'd prefer the one with the ending and the happy.

That's a good point, but if you start going mad from the loneliness you can entertain yourself by forgetting, wondering and speculating what ends up happening.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 01:55:49 AM »
Games

• Perfect Dark (preferably the hd remake, but doesn't bother me much to stick with the N64)
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Fallout 3
  • Mass Effect
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
Perfect Dark because the speed times are crazy and my quickly declining skill at games means I would have a long time 'fore I run out of things to do. Same with Mirrors Edge. Plus, PD has Simulants to fight, and I'd probably give one particular Meat Sim a projected personality to keep me sane(-ish). Fallout and Mass Effect for their crazy replay ability, at least from a How to Make You Character standpoint. And SMB3 because it's just my favorite Mario game, and I wouldn't be able to bring BOTH Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.

Books

• The Hobbit
  • Robopocalypse
  • X-Men 183
  • Dracula
  • Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide
Hobbit, already read it once a year, sooooo. Robopocalypse is just a good story, with a great use of the after the end storytelling like in World War Z. X-Men 183 is a great, standalone issue with the bar fight between Colossus and civvie Juggernaut. Colossus is all mopey about lady troubles, goes drinking with the elf and Wolverine, and blows off some steam in this wonderfully crafted bar brawl, drawn magnificently by JRJR. Dracula is a classic gothic horror, and I don't think I need extoll the wonders of the Hitchhiker's series.

Albums

• Coltrane's "Blue Train"
  • The Blue Van's "Man Up"
  • Weezer's "Pinkerton"
  • it was tough to choose, because I wanted Grant Kirkhope somewhere and I love both, but the Perfect Dark OST eeks in just a touch higher than the Banjo-Kazooie OST
  • Elv1s
Uh, I like these albums. I'm sure I've stated elsewhere around the forums about why these are not shocking or amazing choices.

Movies

• Die Hard
  • Jurassic Park
  • Ferris Bueler's Day Off
  • The Princess Bride
  • Star Wars
I can watch Die Hard every single day. It's just great. Jurassic park because it has dinosaurs. Ferris Bueler is a great escapist movie, especially with the theory that Ferris and Sloane are in Cameron's head. Actually, all my choices are just about escaping the boring stupid everyday. Hyper masculinity, land of wondrous beasts, being that super cool kid who always wins, the fantasy and adventure of far off lands with giants and swashbuckling, and crazy science Fantasy with clear heroes and dashing rogues. And what else are you going to want trapped on a deserted isle but some escapism?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:28:12 AM by CoconutMikeNIke »
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:17:19 AM »
The Baten Kaitos Origins OST almost feels like cheating, as it's quite long (3 discs).
I suppose something like this Castlevania soundtrack set would be out of the question, then?

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 03:59:10 AM »
Perfect Dark for a game and then the Perfect Dark soundtrack for an album? WTD? CoconutMikeNIke you SUCK at desert islanding!

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
Oh no, I'm not good at being stuck on a magical desert island where I have time to pack my entertainment! Truly earth shattering revelation here!

What can I say, I really like the game AND the music. And, if I had gone with the other choice, Banjo-Kazooie, I imagine I would be listening to it and want to play it but Whoop! Its not part of my super tiny collection.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »
Can I bring my computer that has tons of games and music downloaded onto it already?
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 04:16:10 PM »

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
Games:
Super Mario World
Super Mario 3D Land
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (It's still good single-player!)
Chrono Trigger

Books:
Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour
The Hobbit
Animal Farm
The Book of Things To Do Whilst Stuck on a Desert Island: Featuring over 200 stick diorama how-to's!

Albums:
The New Order by Testament
...And Justice for All by Metallica
Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
Among the Living by Anthrax
Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer

Movies:
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Rambo
The Transformers: The Movie
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:02:56 PM by TheMightyThor »
Relics.

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 03:05:15 AM »
Games:
Fallout (either 2, 3 or New Vegas. Not sure)
Half-Life 3 (derp)
Super Mario 64
Grand Theft Auto IV
DOOM

Books:

Paradise Lost - John Milton
The Lord of the Rings series - J.R.R. Tolkien
Hamlet - William Shakespeare
The Inheritors - William Golding
The Art of Fiction - David Lodge (non-fiction, but heck, I want to have something to do)

Albums:
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Wasting Light - Foo Fighters
Nevermind - Nirvana
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
California - Mr. Bungle (would be perfect for a deserted island!)

Movies:
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
The Dark Knight
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Wolf Creek
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 03:53:09 AM »
I thought about this thread very hard for several weeks.

Games
SpaceChem
Dwarf Fortress
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
Trials HD

Books
Oxford English Dictionary
King James Bible
War and Peace
Scott Pilgrim
The Time Traveler's Wife