Print

Author Topic: Should the Wii Shop Give its Games for Free in its Dying Days?  (Read 9530 times)

« on: January 01, 2019, 02:09:31 AM »
Should the Wii Shop Give its Games for Free in its Dying Days? There would be no loss for Nintendo and people who were late to the party can play games on the classic Wii. I guess this seems unfair to people who bought points but maybe they could do a small number of games for the last few days? What are the pros and cons?
Bowser impostor in 5-4, Japanese god in real life!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:09:37 PM »
Free, No!  A few months ago I was ****ed to find that I could no longer access the games I spent nearly $1000 for. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 02:02:00 PM »
What do you mean? It doesn't shutdown until January 30.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 12:57:18 AM »
I mean for the last week or so.
Bowser impostor in 5-4, Japanese god in real life!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 06:07:22 PM »
What do you mean? It doesn't shutdown until January 30
Ahh!  I see. 

Here's what happened.  At my in-laws they asked me to get back their downloaded games.  I assumed one of the grandkids had inadvertently deleted them.  (I gave them a Wii with a lot of VC and a few Wiiware games years ago.)  I got the Wii online with their new router and proceeded to the shop.  There I couldn't find any indication of the previously downloaded games.  This was frustrating and took a long time because they use very limited dish internet.  Eventually I gave up and assumed everything was lost based on an internet article that Nintendo had canceled the service. 

...I posted here and later read LD's reply.  Curious...

I now know that my in-laws have a different Wii than the one I gave them that had games already on it.  Wow, that explains a lot! 

So, I got my Wii out of storage and will be downloading all the VC and Wiiware games onto SD card(s) assuming the Wii still works. 

Thanks LD! 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:07:02 AM »
Heh, they had good timing with their request! (If only they had the original Wii...)

Print