Print

Author Topic: Button-Mashery and Analog Stick Rotisserie  (Read 10585 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 04:45:17 PM »
I think they're worse, but like fanfiction, there happen to be some gems among the heaps of crap.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2007, 06:41:27 PM »
Generally, I hold custom sprites in higher regard than fan fiction. Fan fiction is the nerdiest form of neditude besides cosplay.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2007, 06:48:33 PM »
I actually think fan-movies and fan-games are the nerdiest out of any fan-made thing. This is because they're the hardest to make and therefore require and extremely strong devotion that can only be found in the nerdiest of nerds.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2007, 01:42:18 PM »
No, fan-fiction is the worst, and here's why:

Sonic's Bad Quill Day 2

Sonic was sweaty and covered in sweat, having just defeated Eggman. "Ha!", said Sonic, "Now you'll learn not to mess with Sonic, who is me!" Sonic walked home to his beach home on the beach, and saw Tails swimming. But he wasn't swimming, he was drowning. And, sure enough, nearby was a large piece of poop, wearing Sonic's hat. Sonic swore revenge.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
So maybe if you stop writing fanfics, things won't be so bad anymore.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2007, 04:24:53 PM »
Hmm...probably not. There'd still be the kajillions of Naruto fanfics out there, and once those are all erased from existance, the world will finally be a great place to live.
every

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 09:45:21 AM »
While I consider myself the world's biggest fan of Sonic's Bad Quill Day, the sequel didn't do much for me. Too formulaic!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 01:18:54 PM »
Hmm...probably not. There'd still be the kajillions of Naruto fanfics out there, and once those are all erased from existance, the world will finally be a great place to live.

I like to pretend those don't exist. As I said before: if you dig through the crap, you can find a few gems.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 09:46:26 PM »
BACK ON TOPIC:

You forgot screen-rubbery. Multiplayer Meteos against one of my friends results in this on his end every time; it only worked the first time, because I wasn't expecting it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there are games that rely on that as a mechanic.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 09:57:23 PM »
Feel the Magic.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 10:30:31 PM »
Right. Also, sometimes that trampoline minigame in SM64DS gets to that point.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 09:36:09 AM »
I liked the touch-screen mechanics in Wario: Master of Disguise (the game Nintendo stole from me) at first, but once you get more disguises, the game becomes extremely frustrating and nigh-unplayable.

"It's an artist's hat, not an astronaut helmet, you stupid crap!"
every

Sqrt2

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2007, 03:29:09 AM »
Button-Mashing is the only way I'll ever beat my younger brother at Soul Calibur 2, so obviously I'm in favour of it. In fact, I only manage to pull of certain combo moves whilst button mashing. However, I'm not such a fan of excessive Analog Stick Rotating (as in some Mario Party minigames) or having to rub 1 button repeatedly (as in Banjo-Tooie, Domination mini-game in Mario Party 4, Huff 'N' Puff boss battle in Paper Mario etc).
AA fanboy and proud!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2007, 08:58:26 AM »
Although you can button-mash and easily pull off special moves in Mortal Kombat (in fact, it's the only way I'm able to get Scorpion to do that "Get over here!" thing), I've always considered Soul Calibur one of those high-brow, classy, technical fighting games where button-mashing does nothing against skilled opponents. But then again, I've never actually played it.
every

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2007, 01:04:04 PM »
One of the reasons so many people like Soul Calibur is because button-mashing can yield some fierce results and flashy looking moves against fair- to good-level opponents. It won't work against really good players, of course.

Print