Poll

Which game for the Wii boast's the console's best graphical capabilities (Best graphics for a Wii game)?

Super Mario Galaxy
7 (46.7%)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
5 (33.3%)
Sonic and the Secret Rings
0 (0%)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2 (13.3%)
Other (please specify)
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Print

Author Topic: Best Wii Graphics?  (Read 5931 times)

« on: June 09, 2007, 10:06:56 PM »
Well, I was recently reading the "How does Mario look in SMG?" topic in Mario chat, and the idea of graphics was sprung up. Or, to be precise, does Mario look better in SMG or SSBB. That statement made me think:

Which game for the Wii has the best graphics?

Now, I know Nintendo likes to focus on unique ideas rather than realistic graphics, which is super. As such, the Wii isn't a graphical powerhouse; it's basically two Gamecubes working together. Indeed graphics don't make the game; but rather, it enhances it. Sure, fun gameplay is the most important aspect of any game, but good graphics, both technically and artistically, can create an immersive feel to the game, making the game world and characters come alive. Gameplay, graphics and sound work together: if put in perfect balance, it could create an ambient, addictive, fun experience the likes of which bring the game to a whole new level.

Now with that little speil out of the way, let's begin the topic. I think SMG has the best graphics. The textures are crisp and clean, the character models are smooth, and everything is well rendered an has a nice, cartoony look overall. It's exactly how I dreamed a next-gen Mario game would look like. Seriously. I had dreams a fantasies of how SM128 would look like, and now it's coming true.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 10:16:28 PM »
Despite Pit's downgrade, it's still Brawl.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 10:22:24 PM »
Though I would say Brawl has incredible graphics, and Twilight Princess has great graphics, too, I have to vote Other for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. From what I've seen and played on the DS, Metroid Prime Hunters had amazing graphics for being a DS game, and great graphics overall. That said, even if the Wii's graphics were a slight bit better, MP3 would kill the competition in the graphics department. I can't wait to play it and pwn people online :3.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 11:30:25 PM »
Wait, what? You're predicting MP3's graphics based on a DS game?

Anyway, I think SMG is going to have the best graphics.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 03:08:32 AM »
Until I have seen all of these games running on my TV (1 down, 3 to go), I ain't voting.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 09:56:28 AM »
Mario Galaxy, no questions asked. That's gonna be the most spastically pwnage Mario game ever.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 10:37:37 AM »
How can you judge the overall graphics of a game from some previews? I really don't think that it is all too fair, comparing games that you've been able to play on your home TV with images seen or previews watched.. I'm with Lizard Dude.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 01:23:14 PM »
How can you judge the overall graphics of a game from some previews? I really don't think that it is all too fair, comparing games that you've been able to play on your home TV with images seen or previews watched.. I'm with Lizard Dude.

Uh, I don't understand. How is it not fair? I not saying you're wrong, I just want to know why it isn't fair.

When you think about, it's not exactly fair to judge a game's graphics based on what you see on your TV, either. Everyone has different TV sets that display different picture qualitys. Let's take the PS3, for example. It has the power to render virtually everything. This beauty is clearly visable to someone with a high-def (720p, 1080i and 1080p) televeision, to someone with an older TV (that could only go up to 480i) might see a more muffled, less pretty image that doesn't display the image in all it's glory. Therefor, it's not fair for neither to judge to graphics, since they both see the image differently.

Also, when your in an intense battle, you probably don't have time to stop and look around, since you have to think quickly. When your watching a movie or looking at a screenshot, you could admire the game's graphics better, since your not playing.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 03:50:12 PM »
I don't care how good McDonald's makes a hamburger look on TV, I have to see it for myself (usually to my dismay). Same thing goes for video games.

Also, when your in an intense battle, you probably don't have time to stop and look around, since you have to think quickly. When your watching a movie or looking at a screenshot, you could admire the game's graphics better, since your not playing.

So it's a moot point then? If graphics don't matter in an intense battle, why bother with good graphics at all? I am definately not going to look at a screen shot all day and admire the graphics when I can play a game with good graphics.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 04:33:09 PM »
I don't care how good McDonald's makes a hamburger look on TV, I have to see it for myself (usually to my dismay). Same thing goes for video games.

So it's a moot point then? If graphics don't matter in an intense battle, why bother with good graphics at all? I am definately not going to look at a screen shot all day and admire the graphics when I can play a game with good graphics.

Would you want to look at something that looked like the original Star Fox or Bubsy 3D the entire game on a next-gen system?

Imagine if you were walkin through a big field in Zelda, like one in Twilight Princess. Now, imagine if it was really pretty; the textures were clear as daylight, the grass blew majesticly in the wind, environments looked much more real. Wouldn't the world of Hyrule just some to life? Shiggy always said that he wanted the player to feel emotionally connected to Link, and pretty visuals, along with good storytelling and ambient audio, could do just that.

The only reason why I talked about the intense battle thing is because you asked "How can you judge the overall graphics of a game from some previews?". You may not be able to tell how are the entire game's graphics just from screenshots and videos, but you can make general assuptions based on them. Take Super Mario Galaxy, for example. All the models we've seen so far have been smooth, so we can make an assuption that the rest of the game's character models will follow suit. It's not like halfway through development, someone is just going to say, "Okay, let's make the graphics suck now."

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 04:34:25 PM »
I don't wanna vote yet, but for candidates I think also Metroid Prime 3, and Project H.A.M.M.E.R. and Sadness even though they cheated, lol.
So far I'd go for SMG. Looks very pretty.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 04:37:31 PM by Metric »
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 10:04:03 PM »
Now, everybody, as Einstein would say if here were around now, "graphics is relative". (G=MC2?!)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 12:27:44 PM »
I'm debating between SMG and SSBB.  Truth remains is: good game with good graphics >/= (greater than or equal to) good game with bad graphics > bad game with good graphics.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 01:35:28 PM »
Of currently available games I'd say The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but from the ones on your list I think Super Mario Galaxy might end up being the best based on the E3 demo, but it's pointless to rate graphics based on demos and/or pre-release screen shots.  I expect the next LoZ Wii to have awesome graphics, but there are a lot more important thinks in games than graphics.  The graphics of the PDA Games in Alien Hominid GCN are awesome, but for entirely different reasons. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 05:17:47 PM »
I base graphics not only on how realistic a game is, but also how creative it is. Super Mario Galaxy is my vote because all Mario games are colorful and creative except for Mario is Missing and others like it(Mario's Time Machine, Mario Teaches Typing, etc).
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 10:13:12 PM »
Yeah.  I like colorful games.  I also like simplistic graphics.  The PDA GAMES in Alien Hominid have the best graphics.  Ever.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 01:46:17 PM »
I'm thinking that Brawl will have the best graphics. It seems like the kind of game Nintendo would polish until it's practically a mirror. I'll wait and see until I vote.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 09:56:31 AM »
Just for the record, I think TP's got the best graphics now, and SSBB is a very strong competitor with SMG for best graphics ever on anything Nintendo.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 12:14:39 PM »
Wait, what? You're predicting MP3's graphics based on a DS game?

Sorry I'm so late on the reply, but yes, I am. You own Metroid Prime Hunters, and I know you've noticed the great graphics. Now, those are great graphics, especially for the Nintendo DS, which can't support really the greatest graphics in the world, but nevertheless good graphics. Wii has much better graphics than the DS. So, what I'm saying is that if Metroid can look really good on the DS, then it can look awesome on Wii, which is why I say Metroid Prime 3: Corruption will have the best Wii graphics.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Sqrt2

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 07:12:28 AM »
Brawl, definitely
AA fanboy and proud!

Print