Print

Author Topic: Wii Price Drop... Please  (Read 5490 times)

« on: February 24, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »
I am getting really excited for Brawl, even though I have no way to play it. I decided I want to change that. But it would suck if I bought a Wii next week and then all of a sudden a month from now the Wii price drops! Are there rumors of a Wii price drop in the near future? I kind of doubt it, since sales are still through the roof, but I don't want to get screwed over like I did with the Game Boy Advance SP, which came out just after I got a GBA.

I'm most likely going to end up getting a job, earning the money and paying the full $315 for my Brawl rig, but maybe there's hope.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 02:55:35 PM »
Allow me to just be "me" for a second and say that they already had to drop a bunch of potential features to get the price where it is now. Plus, it just makes sense to wait until sales start going down to lower the price--and the Wii is, of course, incredibly popular as it is.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 03:37:27 PM »
There's no freaking way Nintendo is going to lower the price of the Wii for at least a couple more years. The other consoles are still more expensive and people still want to buy it rather than them.
Potential features such as... a better graphics card? DVD player? Hard drive? I suppose a hard drive would have been kind of nice. But they wanted it cheap so as to be accessible to people.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 03:38:07 PM »
Well, here in New York people are still waiting on lines to get Wiis, so I don't believe there'll be a drop in price any time soon.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »
I suppose a hard drive would have been kind of nice.
Do I need to buy a separate memory card or something like that? Or is the data saved on the console somehow?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »
The console has internal memory, but when it starts to get full, you can put data in an SD card.

A DVD player would have been nice, but not necessary in a gaming device.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 04:54:56 PM »
A DVD player would have been nice, but not necessary in a gaming device.
That's true, however a DVD player that plays video games would be cool (See: PS3).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »
Look at it this way. Even if the Wii magically gets a price drop right after you buy yours, it will drop to $200 at the lowest and if you already have a job now, that $50 is nothing anyway.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 05:59:27 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuon
I meant more like how the PS3 sucks as a console compared to its competition but rocks as a blu-ray player compared to the other ones available currently.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 07:01:27 PM »
Didn't you say a while back that you had a friend who was considering selling you his Wii? And no, I doubt there will be a price drop.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »
Yeah, and I would probably buy it from him. He said he'd sell it for no less than 225, which I'm pretty sure includes all the stuff he has, which means a few controllers, a few sports games and GH3. But if the Wii dropped price, I would use that as a benchmark to get him to drop his price as well.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 09:39:31 PM »
The price is not going to drop anytime soon.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 10:05:54 PM »
I bet the people who got the PS3, (Provided that there was anyone,) Blew their top once the price had dropped

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 12:20:16 PM »
Not more ticked off than the early iPhone buyers when there was a price drop on that (to make things worse, the iPod Touch had all the great stuff of the iPhone minus the phone part (and maybe some online widgets, don't remember) for about $200 cheaper).

I think the reason we usually don't see upgrades of game consoles is that the people who bought the game console on day one want to be able to play the games in the console's later life too. To force them to buy a newer system, or to pay a significant amount for a vital add-on, is ridiculous. It's common for PC buyers though (although these days, I'm more concerned about whether a game runs on my aging system rather than whether it plays well. I don't have $2,000 to blow every time a new PC game comes out).

That doesn't mean we haven't seen upgrades before (well, okay, I haven't seen any true upgrades). The PS2 put out a slimline model that removed the hard drive and made it look attractively small (I'm sitting here and the PS2 is like three times smaller than the GameCube), although it lost some game compatibility in the process. A new model of the SNES was put out during its dying years, which I've never owned (I stand in disbelief to think it's a SNES, considering I only remember the old version). The N64 got an Expansion Pak to add an extra 4MB for use in games, which also worked with games that didn't support the Pak (makes me wonder what the point of the Jumper Pak was then. I kept mine around just in case). The PS3 has had firmware updates. I've left out other add-ons/upgrades because either they weren't successful, were only used with a few games, were purely supplemental instead of being required for later games, or I didn't know about them.

I agree that a price drop isn't going to happen anytime soon, since it's so difficult to find a Wii in stores. It's difficult to find a standalone Wii online for that matter (don't disprove me, let me keep my excuse for not buying one). Miyamoto said that he wanted the Wii priced cheaper but the price of the components made that impossible, which barely helps the sting that it's $50-$100 more than I expected. If you can find a Wii, go for it before someone else takes it.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting a drop in the PS3's price. Maybe two years after launch, but not a little over half a year. When I saw that the price drop was by $100, that still didn't seem like much of a cut. I think the PS3 is simply ahead of its time. But the same could be said of other consoles, as they're bound to be at their most expensive and least impressive during the early years (I say that because developers haven't yet worked out how to get the most out of the system). Near the end of a console's lifespan, you start to see some impressive games coming out, and that's on top of whatever price cuts were made since then. Plus, a huge library is built up by that time. The only price for waiting out on buying a console is that you have to hear people yak about Metal Gear Solid 3 and Psychonauts and Super Mario Galaxy and Sly Cooper and so on for years before you get around to playing them.

Not that I'm one to talk regarding waiting out. The PS2's the only console I waited out on, and that's because I had some silly grudge against non-Nintendo consoles. I fell hook line and sinker for the multiple Game Boy systems that came out, failing to realize that since each Game Boy was backwards compatible, the Game Boy Advance or DS was the only Game Boy I really needed. In hindsight, the Game Boy Pocket's the most worthless Game Boy I ever owned (even if it looks the coolest).
You didn't say wot wot.

Print