Print

Author Topic: Brawl's Ups and Downs  (Read 98332 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2008, 11:04:59 PM »
I actually found myself somewhat decent with Fox
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2008, 11:06:20 PM »
Virginia is Southern?
It's below the Mason-Dixon line, and sided with the South in the Civil War, so I'd say it is.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2008, 01:24:34 AM »
How is the intro crappy? I love it. The music is nice, and is much better than Melee's.
While I would not call it "crappy", there are two large reasons why Brawl's intro is worse than Melee's.

ONE -- Instead of one cohesive cutscene made as an intro with lots of neat artistic links between the scenes, Brawl is just clips from Adventure Mode cutscenes and in-game footage. This makes the intro inferior, but Brawl still wins the cutscene contest overall since instead of just one cool intro it instead has bajillions of cool cutscenes constantly through the entire Adventure.

TWO -- No one screams "SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL!!!!!!!" when the title hits the screen. This is absolutely critical in fighting games and worth at least 0.5 out of 10 of the review score alone.  I have no clue why Brawl doesn't do it when Melee did it just fine.

It is neat how the unlock characters get added to the first scene of the Brawl intro as you get them.

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2008, 02:38:49 AM »
No one screams "SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL!!!!!!!" when the title hits the screen. This is absolutely critical in fighting games and worth at least 0.5 out of 10 of the review score alone.
I lol'd. Hard.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2008, 05:57:15 AM »
I lol'd. Hard.
What LD means is that the scream was in the first two Smash Bros. intros.   He's wondering why there isn't one in Brawl's.

You can't go wrong when you hear the N64 announcer screaming SUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!!!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2008, 09:42:42 AM »
Sadly, the announcer is so bad in Brawl that I can't imagine it being a good title announcement anyway.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »
Sadly, the announcer is so bad in Brawl that I can't imagine it being a good title announcement anyway.
ZEHBDAH
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 01:29:15 PM »
What LD means is that the scream was in the first two Smash Bros. intros.
I know what he meant. The fact that he claims that it's one of the most important things to have in the game made me lol. Hard.

Yeah I did find it a little odd that that was absent but really couldn't care less, as the intro was awesome enough with the SATB choir and great visuals.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2008, 02:50:44 PM »
Up: New physics. I feel that the slowing of Brawl puts more focus on the fighting and less on dodging and recoveries.
Down: Those point bonuses at the end of each match are gone.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2008, 03:26:07 PM »
Down: Those point bonuses at the end of each match are gone.

Yeah, I wonder why they did that. Now you can be a coward the whole match and you won't get punished for it.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »
They read the book that LD is always talking about.
That was a joke.

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »

He makes it a little more...creative at least. He says Bowser and Ganondorf in a low voice. Though, he goes Zelduh, instead of Zelda. Also the 2-Dness of the intro ruins it totally.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2008, 06:31:29 PM »
I get really disturbed by the lack of motion blur on the opening pan of all the characters. The framerate is too high not to have motion blur. It screams "low production values" at me even though that's totally wrong about pretty much the rest of the game.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
Okay, after reading the above comments, I've been reminded of a few things and are going to expand my up/down list.

Up: Better graphics (I don't care what anybody else says), tons of modes and trophies and CDs and stickers and SSE and *passes out*

Down: Disappointing intro, abysmal voice acting, a few too many bland stages (Frigate Orpheon is pathetic), and a lot of the trophies for Wii games come across like ads (read the one for the Excite Truck trophy. That, and the excessive amount of nods to DK: Barrel Blast is just pitiful).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2008, 08:56:06 PM »
The music is nice, and is much better than Melee's.
Well, not that I don't like it, but I've heard that music a million times in trailers, ect.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:59:02 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

Print