Print

Author Topic: Need help (making game)  (Read 8230 times)

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
this is my first time making a game.
I think our suggestions are a tad much for him. Perhaps we should just tell him how to make Mario run left, right and jump without getting stuck in walls.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 06:27:46 PM »
Heh.  Good Point.  I really do recommend the platforming tutorial at YoYoGames.  It won't tell you how to do everything needed for Mario, but it gets the basic physics down nicely.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 08:48:23 PM »
My advice is to NOT use the platforming example. Do it from scratch, it's a lot less cluttered.
Maybe we should collaborate towards a Mario Fan game.  I've been using it since version 5.
Good idea.

What a coincedence, I'm in a class that dived headfirst into GameMaker 7. So I have experience with that. But my first attempt at a platformer failed miserably, with the character floating on air half the time.

So hey, if you need help on the basics of GameMaker, I can help you out as well. Still, going through tutorials and re-creating basic programming concepts (preventing an object from moving off the screen, using a loop for drawing an object over and over, approximate collision detection using the distance between the centers of two objects and checking against the sums of the radii of two imaginary circles around the objects) is a good start to learning GameMaker. Oh, and pick up "The GameMaker's Apprentice" from some bookstore, that's a huge help.

Wow, the aproximate collision detecting sounds really good.
Twists, eh? Okay.

- A level or two that significantly changes the play style before going back to the normal style
- Mario's melee attacks from SM64 (why don't those appear in 2D games more often?)
- Other improved moves from the 3D games (butt stomp, etc.)
- Maybe RPG elements or whatever
- A save game system (this is a must)

1. No comment.
2. Fighting attacks are very hard to pull of correctly in GM.
3. I don't see why.
4. Good idea.
5. Shouldn't be hard since it's built in.

I think our suggestions are a tad much for him. Perhaps we should just tell him how to make Mario run left, right and jump without getting stuck in walls.

I pretty much already told him how.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 05:23:26 AM »
My advice is to NOT use the platforming example. Do it from scratch, it's a lot less cluttered.

I don't mean to use it as a base form of the game, just to know how to program the physics for when he does start from scratch.  I agree with Glitchy that yuo should never just build a game up from the platformer example.  They stink, they're generic, and most people who make them aren't even creative enough to animate the sprites.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 04:52:45 PM »
I started out making a maze game, but the object that I'm using as the thing going around the maze is going through the objects that I'm using as walls. How can I fix this?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:49:24 PM by megamush »
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »
I'm downloading it right now so I can help too.

EDIT- 5:14:57 PM (server time): Game Maker has been downloaded, I will be making my game tonight. Any tips? And, yes, it will be a Mario game.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 10:17:58 PM »
1. Make it good.
2. Add moar secks scenes.
every

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 11:07:27 PM »
I started out making a maze game, but the object that I'm using as the thing going around the maze is going through the objects that I'm using as walls. How can I fix this?
Very basic way to solve that is to create a Collision event for the thing-going-around-the-maze object. Have it for when it collides with the wall. In that collision event, just stop the thing-going-around-the-maze's movement by using Move Fixed, then setting the direction to the middle thing (I don't know why that's so important but it is) and the speed to 0.

There are other ways to stop an object's movement, like stopping movement either horizontally or vertically (if Mario is running to the right and he jumps up to hit a brick, his vertical movement should go negative (to fall down) but his horizontal movement should still be positive). There are probably better ways to detect collisions. Just letting you know of one way to do it.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 06:02:57 AM »
There are other ways to stop an object's movement, like stopping movement either horizontally or vertically (if Mario is running to the right and he jumps up to hit a brick, his vertical movement should go negative positive (to fall down) but his horizontal movement should still be positive). There are probably better ways to detect collisions. Just letting you know of one way to do it.

With GM's physics, strangely enough, negative vertical speed means going up, and positive means going down.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
That's how many game engines work: the y origin (0) is at the top of the screen, so larger numbers are actually lower.

Print