Print

Author Topic: A Compelling Article  (Read 25760 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 03:07:56 PM »
What is a Rickroll?

Did you just discover the internet a month ago?

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 06:43:27 PM »
I've been on the internet a long time, and I don't know what a rickroll is.

Edit: And how are we supposed to know what it is if everyone just says "how can you not know?", and then never say what it is?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:46:51 PM by jmdblazer »
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 06:49:47 PM »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »
No it isn't. A rickroll is where you claim you are linking to something shocking, amazing, or shockingly amazing, but are actually linking to that music video. Claiming your link is something other than a video, or stating that it is a rickroll or the "Never Gonna Give You Up" video, makes it not a rickroll. With that said...
The only factors that influence my purchase of a game are:

1) Do I own the system it is designed to run on?
2) Do its various features appeal to me?
3) Have I heard good things about it in the press/from friends?
4) Can I afford it? If so, is it a good value given its quality and feature set?
I think this got overlooked. This is wisdom.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »
That's a great post... where was that originally?

No it isn't. A rickroll is where you claim you are linking to something shocking, amazing, or shockingly amazing, but are actually linking to that music video. Claiming your link is something other than a video, or stating that it is a rickroll or the "Never Gonna Give You Up" video, makes it not a rickroll.
Well, that's the paradox of the thing. If he'd called the link anything else, they probably wouldn'tve gotten the hint. That's kind of the thing with rickrolling--to know about it, you have to have someone "break the rules" of it.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 09:35:57 PM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 09:20:52 PM »
Or not, seeing as the person would be utterly confused to see the title "YOU'VE BEEN RICKROLLED!" instead of the incredible video described, and would proceed to get help figuring out what was going on.

Max's definition of a Rickroll might disappoint EclipsedMoon, who got me a few days ago with this:

[18:10] <EclipsedMoon> BP
[18:12] <BirdPerson> EM
[18:13] <EclipsedMoon> What do you think of this photoshop job? http://noom.kontek.net/images/etc/birdperson.jpg (instead of an actual JPEG it linked to the video)
[18:15] <BirdPerson> Good effort
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 11:01:07 PM »
Yeah I much prefer the definition where I got BP.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
I'm cautious whenever I look up any awesome-sounding video. As soon as I hear that opening drum fill (doom-doom, duh-doom-da-da-dush), I exit.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 10:00:21 PM »
Someday I'm going to post a very, very awesome video somewhere, but just have the first fifteen seconds be a rickroll. Have faith, and you shall go far!

EDIT: Odd, if you think about it... but it's at least good someone over there's got a brain about this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:45:20 AM by ShadowBrain »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 07:07:32 AM »
Nintendo's saying they're disappointed is one thing, but rectifying their "E3 performance" is another... but I suppose I should give them the benefit of the doubt.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 03:06:37 PM »
This scares me very, very deeply.

Yeah, once again, very old, but I had time to spend the whole day catching up on watching E3 Conference/analyses therein and whatnot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »
Nintendo needs make casual games easier for nongamers to play. An example would be a black screen that, every now and then, would say "You win this level" and "You're doing a very good job" at you.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 06:01:23 PM »
Well, it depends on what "accessible" means. I thought Twilight Princess was a lot more accessible than Ocarina, since I could actually figure out puzzles by looking at them. Super Mario World was a lot more accessible than Sunshine, and is still considered one of the greatest games of all time. So if that's the kind of direction they're going, I'm fine with it, and I think Miyamoto is still worthy of the benefit of the doubt.

Today's Trivia of Dubious Veracity: Eiji Aonuma has never beaten the original Zelda.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 06:06:19 PM »
Maybe not, but my younger brother just did a week or two back.

So if that's the kind of direction they're going, I'm fine with it, and I think Miyamoto is still worthy of the benefit of the doubt.
That's like giving Jack Thompson the benefit of the doubt that next time he sues someone over making a violent videogame, he'll be polite and calm about it. Every recent entry in major, solo-driven, Nintendo franchises should be proof enough that, no matter what Nintendo is saying, "easy to learn, hard to master" has taken an airplane-backseat to "no more or less easy to learn, easy as crap to beat".

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print