Print

Author Topic: Banjo Kazooie - Nuts and Bolts  (Read 13560 times)

« on: November 13, 2008, 04:32:21 PM »
I played the demo. I don't like it. The character designs are really blocky, the text is really tiny, and it's just not funny like the old games are. It doesn't have that Rare magic.

And I hate that cart you have to drive around in.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
I played the demo. I don't like it.
That's a shame. I have yet to play it, but it sounds cool to me.

The character designs are really blocky
Yeah, I noticed that in trailers; Banjo looks like one of those origami-ish folded-paper boxes with rounded edges. Not sure what they were going for, there.

the text is really tiny,
Are you sure it's not your TV?

and it's just not funny like the old games are. It doesn't have that Rare magic.
I really didn't think the old games were that funny, but whatever.

Personally, I think this game looks good and has a cool premise, but since I have yet to play it, I can't make up an opinion yet.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
I have no 360 and haven't done a whole lot of research on this game, so here's my 100% opinionated and just-to-get-it-off-my-chest analysis: Banjo and Kazooie are friggin' ugly, it's completely bizzare to take characters from a platforming series and put them in some sort of Armored Core/Yoshi's Story rip-off, and as I said before, Rare needs to stop referencing Nintendo every five seconds, considering they chickened out when not enough people were buying GCNs and switched to making lame games with balls jokes for names and/or questionable overall design on the 360. In addendum, the "small text" problem is the same thing Dead Rising pulled: Buy an HD-TV, get super-vision, or you're screwed.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 07:50:46 PM »
Are you sure it's not your TV?
I think it's a pretty widespread problem, they just made the text way too small.

But it's not a problem for me, since I'm playing on a big HDTV like everyone else with a 360 should.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:43:02 PM »
Rare needs to stop referencing Nintendo every five seconds, considering they chickened out when not enough people were buying GCNs and switched to making lame games with balls jokes for names and/or questionable overall design on the 360.

Man, I hate it when people don't get their facts straight.

Rare didn't jump ship, Microsoft bought a 50% stake in the company and the day after the release of Star Fox Adventures. Nintendo sold the remaining stock to them.

Please tell me what other games besides Banjo Kazooie have Nintendo references in them. As far as I've heard/seen, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo, Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata, and Conker have no such references in them.

Also, those ball jokes have been around since the first Banjo Kazooie, they just happened to get more blatant as time went on.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 05:21:53 AM »
I played the demo, and every time a character talked, I had to play charades to figure out what thier jibberish meant. This was not my home TV, but I'm not going to get the game anyway. They've completely trashed the character designs.

The series had so much more potential...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 08:03:55 AM »
Man, I hate it when people don't get their facts straight.
100% opinionated and just-to-get-it-off-my-chest analysis

Please tell me what other games besides Banjo Kazooie have Nintendo references in them. As far as I've heard/seen, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo, Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata, and Conker have no such references in them.
I was referring solely to Nuts & Bolts (though I am pretty confident there was a nod or two in those).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:15:29 AM »
The great thing about it, though, is that Rare knows the fans don't generally like the art style. But they have the guts to go with it anyway.

I need a 360.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »
I had a good time with the demo, the text looked fine to me, Gruntilda actually made a joke about Banjo's art design, I was slightly perturbed at how feminine Kazooie looked, and there were multiple actually funny jokes.

Haven't bought it yet, but will someday.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 04:49:26 AM »
I had a good time with the demo, the text looked fine to me, Gruntilda actually made a joke about Banjo's art design, I was slightly perturbed at how feminine Kazooie looked, and there were multiple actually funny jokes.

Haven't bought it yet, but will someday.

I've heard the text looks fine on some HDTVs, so I assume you own one. I have an SDTV, so the text is very small. I'm not very upset about it because Rare is currently working on a patch for the text that'll be released in a few weeks. In the mean time, I have other things to do.

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 06:14:30 PM »
Rare is dead, guys. A half hearted attempt to revive one of their beloved characters isn't going to change that.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 08:39:54 PM »
Viva Pinata would like a word with you.

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 12:04:38 PM »
A couple games about pinatas does not an awesome game company make. Sure, they're probably some of the better liscensed games released, but if Rare has to mess up their core franchises like Banjo to make a decent game based on a kids cartoon, then I couldn't care less.

Seriously, I haven't heard one review yet that said Nuts and Bolts was a worthy sucessor to the original N64 games. Sure, many of them liked the game, but they all said that it pales in comparison to the first games in the series. The huge potential from building unique vehicles was completely blown by unoriginal missions and a lack of platforming. Considering that the Banjo series started off as platformers, that's extremely sad.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 12:57:10 PM »
They weren't platformers, they were adventures. I can only think of about three examples of actual platforming in all of BK1, the rest was performing other tasks or mini-games. This game is pretty much the same thing, except with vehicles that you build instead of moves you learn from Bottles. Just because it's not exact replica of the first two Banjo games doesn't mean Rare is "dead', because if they were, they wouldn't be making games at all.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 01:52:56 PM »
Seriously, I haven't heard one review yet that said Nuts and Bolts was a worthy sucessor to the original N64 games.

Oh reviews. Always much more reliable than experience.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print