Print

Author Topic: 360, the NXE, Avatars, and etc... VS Nintendo and the "Casuals"  (Read 9614 times)

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 07:40:43 PM »
Regarding the Wii, one problem with it is the nontraditional controls. Where the DS still has all the same buttons that the SNES had (thus making it similiar to most of the other controllers in gaming history) in addition to its touch screen and microphone, the Wii Remote is built entirely around its motion-sensing ability, with the D-pad and a few buttons basically thrown on there. Thus developers are even more compelled to use this (dare I say it?) gimmick in their games.

I also agree with SolidShroom about the DS being better overall.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 10:05:16 PM »
Sadly(?), the best thing about the Wii right now is VC games and ease of homebrew. And the ability to install foreign VC games with homebrew.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »
Because you need that for anything other than Nintendo 64 games--if you're using homebrew you can just use an emulator!

Neither the DS nor the Wii has excited me for a while. I love Brawl, Galaxy etc. though. I could stand to get Wario Land and some others if I weren't saving up, but most Wii games I've missed, I can get on the 360, where they're better... I need to start working... this summer and next year.

I'm always hesitant about the DS because my lite's shoulder buttons are dead and my old DS has a broken hinge and, being an old DS, has sooty screens that I hate looking at.

But I don't hate Nintendo like some fellows have come to. I don't have any Wii games that I can say have disappointed me--I've gotten what I've expected each time, and in the cases of some, more. Except the Zapper. I want more games that are made for the Zapper.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 10:28:57 PM »
I had been think about getting a PS2 for at least a year.  Part of the reason I decided to get one this 4th quarter is because I am not impressed with the Wii's holiday line-up this year. (Didn't get a PS3 because there aren't enough games on it that catch my interest yet.)
I consider myself to be neither a casual by Nintendo's definition, nor am I hardcore.  As a gamer, I'm the in-between.
However, there are a few DS games that I'd like to get.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 12:37:21 AM »
Regarding the Wii, one problem with it is the nontraditional controls. Where the DS still has all the same buttons that the SNES had (thus making it similiar to most of the other controllers in gaming history) in addition to its touch screen and microphone, the Wii Remote is built entirely around its motion-sensing ability, with the D-pad and a few buttons basically thrown on there. Thus developers are even more compelled to use this (dare I say it?) gimmick in their games.

I also agree with SolidShroom about the DS being better overall.
But both the Classic Controller and GameCube controller are both quite similar to the SNES controller. Still, I understand your point when you explain how developers are compelled to use the default control scheme for the Wii.

Additionally, I concur with Bird Person concerning the Zapper. The Zapper needs to be utilized much more. I mean, imagine the possibilities it contains. Imagine a FPS combined with a rail shooter. If done correctly, that would be awesome.

I'm really looking forward to the Wii MotionPlus. Perhaps it'll make the Wii like everyone imagined when it was first strongly revealed to the public.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 02:13:39 AM »
Imagine a FPS combined with a rail shooter.
Ghost Squad?

Also, I'd rather use the official Dracula X: Rondo of Blood VC release than a poorly emulated version on Hu-Go!
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »
An FPS combined with a rail shooter? As in, an FPS with rail shooter segments or a rail shooter with the occasional ability to walk by yourself?
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 02:40:09 AM »
As in a game where you use the light gun to aim and shoot at the screen, like in a rail shooter, yet actually move around like in an FPS. Also, I never played Ghost Squad except for in the arcade and I don't really remember it.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 08:41:34 AM »
As in, Time Crisis 4?

At least, the PS3 version.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 12:30:01 PM »
I understand that game was extraordinarily bad.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »
I might be thinking of the wrong game, but isn't Time Crisis 4 on-rails? I definitely remember not being able to move on my own. (I'm thinking of the arcade game where you have a gigantic pistol, and the top moves when you shoot, and there's a pedal you step on to take cover)

I understand that game was extraordinarily bad.
The "I understand" part implies that you have never played the game before, in which case let me inform you you should never review a game before you've played it. If you have played it, then you are either retarded or incapable of comprehending fun. Because the game described above is awesome.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »
Well some Time Crisis game got a bad rap.

you should never review a game before you've played it.
That's the sort of thinking that resulted in the Official Nintendo Seal.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
The PS3 version of TC4 was pretty crappy, since you were paying some $70 for a game that wasn't worth $10.
every

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »
Yeah, I can imagine that game being sucky on a console, but it was supa fun in arcade.

Print