Print

Author Topic: 360, the NXE, Avatars, and etc... VS Nintendo and the "Casuals"  (Read 9559 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »
The PS3 version of TC4 was pretty crappy, since you were paying some $70 for a game that wasn't worth $10.
Yeah, that's the one I meant.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 05:10:24 PM »
I dunno, the problem with Wii isn't 3rd parties. Honestly, 3rd parties are doing a great job. Stuff like Resident Evil 4 (ironically one of the few truly awesome games is a remake), Boom Blox, Zack & Wiki, Mega Man 9, Castlevania Judgment... that' just a handful of the decent stuff 3rd parties are putting out and with stuff like The Conduit and Deadly Creatures coming out eventually, it's clear the 3rd parties are hauling their share, contrary to whatever Reggie Fils Aime may say..
The real problem is coming from Nintendo itself. Once upon a time, basically every single game Nintendo's 1st party offered was absolute gold. We now live in a time when Nintendo itself just doesn't try that hard anymore. Yeah sure, we have stuff like Galaxy and Metroid Prime and to some extent Brawl/Mario Kart/Paper Mario to demonstrate goodness from Nintendo, but other stuff that should be great like these examples just aren't anywhere close.  Twilight Princess, regardless of being originally for the cube, just wasn't the game it should have been. Pokemon Battle Revolution and Pokemon Ranch are disasters.

Animal Crossing (which Nintendo claimed was its big hardcore game of Q4) only has approximately 5% new material in it while the rest of the game is EXACTLY (not exaggerating) the same as the DS version. It's stuff like this that makes me really lose touch with Nintendo. Lemme show ya's something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6t4pPHmSU0&feature=related

Watch that video. the commercial for Animal Crossing City Folk. This sums it up. The last straw. Like I said, Nintendo originally said Animal Crossing was going to be their big game type game of the season. But this is it? Their big game game is being marketed to bored housewives, aka who they want their audience to be now.  See, this is what I mean when Nintendo's problem is being lazy. Look what they did here. They took Animal Crossing DS, added in a handful of new features, but it's essentially the same game. Why? Because they know all these 40 year olds didnt buy the one on DS. They know they don't have to add a lot in because it will be bought regardless.
I am 100% dissatisfied with Animal Crossing City Folk, and this marks the absolute last time I buy a 1st party game on Wii without playing it first. That's a big deal because I'm sure you'll all agree with me that at one time we could all just buy a Nintendo developed game because that essentially meant it was almost guaranteed to be great. 3rd party games were the one we would need to filter buy playing at a friend's house or renting. But look at the facts. Of the games that are decent on Wii and made by Nintendo, the majority were by 2nd party internally owned studios (Brawl, Prime, Paper Mario). Point is, Nintendo as a 1st party just isn't cutting it anymore. Come to think of it, the only 1st party game I can think of that I really truly love is Galaxy, and that's it.

That's basically it though. That's the problem, the point, and it's not gonna go away. Nintendo has a new chunk of consumers eating out of its hand, and they're well aware of it, and they like it. That's how they can get away with re-releasing Gamecube games with Wii controls or making low quality 1st party titles like Animal Crossing. The new audience won't notice or care and so long as they keep buying, Nintendo won't stop to pull their head out of their own ass. They just don't make games for people who like playing games, anymore.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Print