Print

Author Topic: R.I.P. EGM  (Read 2913 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: January 06, 2009, 08:11:10 PM »
1989-2009

With the 1UP network being acquired by UGO/Hearst Corp., the above has come to pass.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:36:40 PM »
The following is true:

I had a subscription to Computer Games. It died when its publisher got sued for spamming MySpace (stuff unrelated to the actual mag).

That subscription then somehow converted to Games for Windows: The Official Magazine. After about four issues, that died.

Then EGM started showing up in its place. I just got my fourth issue of that. Yeah.

Hopefully I'll work my way around to Playboy or something.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:28:25 AM »
I used to get Computer Games, but I think my subscription expired before that happened, and I unfortunately didn't realize how good it was until I flipped through an old issue long after the fact (I didn't read it, since I wasn't really a PC gamer when we were subscribed - I think it was a free subscription my dad had gotten from doing surveys or something).

Aside from flipping through the most recent issue when at a library that carried it, I never really read EGM. Still sad to hear it go, though.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »
I'd hate it no matter what, but I'd hate it a lot less if they weren't also going to fire a bunch of great guys and get rid of a load of 1UP features. Also, something pretty similar to this happened to Nintendo Power a bit back, so needless to say I'm not all that pleased to have corporate takeovers and radical business decisions **** up another long-standing part of my life.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »
This is balls. EGM was one of my favorite game mags other than Game Informer and Tips & Tricks (now gone from my newsstand; I rarely read it for the strategies, mostly just for the other departments and out of nostalgia).
every

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »
I subscribe too.

I wanna refund!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 07:51:29 PM »
The following is true:

I had a subscription to Computer Games. It died when its publisher got sued for spamming MySpace (stuff unrelated to the actual mag).

That subscription then somehow converted to Games for Windows: The Official Magazine. After about four issues, that died.

Then EGM started showing up in its place. I just got my fourth issue of that. Yeah.

Hopefully I'll work my way around to Playboy or something.
No, go for a sh***y tween oriented magazine.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 10:36:12 PM »
And nothing of value was lost.

Print