Poll

Should mods, who shall remained unnamed, manually censor swear words?

Yes
5 (22.7%)
No
17 (77.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Print

Author Topic: Censoring  (Read 60920 times)

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2011, 11:11:32 PM »
It still boggles my mind how she stayed in power all these years, even after abusing the **** out of it and being borderline psychotic with the [dukar] that she did. And I'm not just talking about the censorship of profanity, but also when ever someone taunted her god (who doesn't exist btw :) ) even saying "for God sakes" was off limits.
Professional Paisano here

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »
Basically Sapph, stop trying to force your own beliefs on us. You can't force people to change something so insignificant just because you yourself have a massive pet peeve.

« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2011, 11:27:44 PM »
Let's try to avoid turning this into a Sapphira flame war and get back on topic.

**** censorship.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2011, 11:32:39 PM »
Some of you guys make it really difficult to disagree with her because you make it so personal. Most people disagree with what she's doing, but being jerks about it doesn't help anything.

I'm glad to see this thread reopened, but not for what it's been used for since.

« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2011, 11:37:38 PM »
Jake seems like a very angry individual.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2011, 11:42:38 PM »
(who doesn't exist btw :) )

Right on.

If your name was once Poop Dude, you'd be angry too!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:53:40 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »

If your name was once Poop Dude, you'd be angry too!

Professional Paisano here

« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2011, 02:57:43 AM »
Chill [dukar] bro.

Also, why did it take me until now to realize this thread had a poll? A better question though, who voted for manual censoring?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »
If this is how we're all going to react when Sapphira censors a couple of words, then, quite frankly, we don't deserve the right to swear. Yes, Sapphira shouldn't have edited what was already censored out, but is whinging about it like spoilt children really going to help?
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2011, 11:56:28 AM »
Come on now guys, it's just extremely childish to attack someone personally if you don't like what they're doing.
Everyone's an adult here. Act like one.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »
**** censorship.

This has been QFT'd to a ridiculous level, but I DON'T CARE.

Saph, just out of curiosity, why censor if there's a setting where you can switch swears on or off? I mean, if people don't want to see them (Including you) you could just switch it on. (Sorry for bringing back the Saph argument.)
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2011, 08:53:11 PM »
See, I do think the best solution is "swear ratings" like coolkid mentioned, where you can choose to censor nothing, censor only the more egregious swears, censor all but the more "tame" swears, or censor anything offensive, but that requires coding and is probably more of a pain than it's worth.

And, while I don't think attacking Sapph's personal dislike of swearing is cool, I actually have issues with the whole "editing things when people with higher/equal ranks and stuff don't care" complex. That reeks of power tripping, which isn't cool no matter who does it. Especially if said "self-censoring" exists -- then you start forcing your beliefs onto others via the law, which is pretty much the bane of my existence.
~I.S.~

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2011, 08:58:08 PM »
Imposition of beliefs is the reason laws exist.  That's not the issue here.  The issue is that the rule of law in this case doesn't call for manual censorship, and people are overreacting to Sapphira's doing it.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2011, 09:25:59 PM »
Laws exist to prevent chaos. How the X are we overreacting? She's forcing her beliefs upon others. It's really no big deal, but you act like we're spawning huge all-caps rants or something. We're mildly disappointed over her abusing her power, and that's it.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2011, 02:26:59 AM »
Offensiveness isn't grounds for legal coercion, and if a person in authority censors someone, the rest of us have every right to complain about it.

Moral busybodies need to blow it out their ass.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print