Print

Author Topic: PAPER MARIO EMERGENCY  (Read 13224 times)

« on: May 13, 2009, 01:47:27 PM »
What a lovely surprise: I turned on Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door a few minutes ago only to see tht my first save file, nearly- complete with Mario at level 86 and with every single enemy tattled, recipe made and badge collected, has been inexplicably corrupted. The file's name has been replaced with the phrase "File corrupted", and its progress now says "This file must be erased". I hadn't shut off the game while it was saving or loading, and I had already established that maxing out the in-game timer at 99:59 didn't translate to any ill effects.

I've yet to see whether the same sad fate has befallen any of my other Gamecube titles, and I'm currently afriad to know. Any ideas? Can the memory somehow be retrieved, perhaps?...
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 01:54:05 PM »
Yikes, this happened to me with my Mario Party cartridge once...

Whatever you do, don't erase it. Just keep trying to retrieve the data by turning the game on and off from time to time. Sometimes you'll be able to get it back, and other times you won't.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »
At least the error doesn't appear to have dispersed itself through all my Gamcube games. Oddly enough, it has only affected a single Paper Mario file as of yet. It could be worse, although 150+ hours of gameplay and a good thousand battles or so will be tough to recoup.

Regardless, thanks a lot for the support. It's really appreciated.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »
Hurry up and copy all the rest of your save files onto a new memory card because the one you have is on its way out.
Also, try cleaning the memory card with rubbing alcohol and try sticking it in the system several times to remove any dirt in the memory card slot.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
Luckily, my Dad was kind enough to hear out my plea and pick up a new memory card on his homeward commute. I've dabbed my only current card out with a Q-tip, but 'twas to no avail. And so goes 1019 blocks of once-perfectly useable memory down the proverbial drain of time.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »
This shall be my first, and hopefully last, bona-fide expletive to be uttered within TMK's forums. At least it's for a worthwhile cause:

[dukar].

Alcohol, violent thrusting of the memory card in and out of the Wii's top slots, and even copying the data onto a shiny new third-party card can't save the file. I'm questioning whether it'd be more noble to abandon my efforts and delete my perfect game for fear of the corrupt data leaking throughout PM:TTYD's other three files or even through the entire system.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 04:16:18 PM »
I once thought I had started a Gamecube-and-Wii-crashing virus with my copy of MK:DD, but it turned out to be caused by a MadCatz contoller on the blink. I've never bought another non-Nintendo-made GC controller to date.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »
The one non-Nintendo controller I had fell apart. Literally. I was playing Mario Party 2 and moved my left index finger to hit the turbo button. As I held on to the middle bit of the control in my left hand, I press the button with my right finger. I hear a little crrck and don't think anything of it until the minigame was voer (I won!) I look down and realised I was hold just the middle prong in my left hand and supporting the rest of the controller in my right. I unplugged it and threw the thing away. I had long since tossed the reciept, and I'm pretty sure the store I bought it from was out of business at that point (the local game trading shop that I talked about in another topic).

"Hit the button until your arm falls off" minigames had already claimed one controller, and I had enough money to invest in a Turbo contorller. It was good enough to help me get down the Minigame Coaster several times.

Don't ever buy MadCatz. We've also lost a bunch of save data on one of their memory cards. My wife has yet to play through Resident Evil again..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »
Memory cards do not work that way, Weegee. One save file has been corrupted, which doesn't mean that it will corrupt your other files for that game. However there is a good chance all your save files for all your games will become corrupted if you keep using that card.
That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Phew. Suppose I had just been assuming the worst.

The one non-Nintendo controller I had fell apart. Literally. I was playing Mario Party 2 and moved my left index finger to hit the turbo button.

^Holy retribution for using the turbo button.^

Jman

• Score
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 09:01:32 PM »
The one non-Nintendo controller I had fell apart. Literally. I was playing Mario Party 2 and moved my left index finger to hit the turbo button. As I held on to the middle bit of the control in my left hand, I press the button with my right finger. I hear a little crrck and don't think anything of it until the minigame was voer (I won!) I look down and realised I was hold just the middle prong in my left hand and supporting the rest of the controller in my right. I unplugged it and threw the thing away. I had long since tossed the reciept, and I'm pretty sure the store I bought it from was out of business at that point (the local game trading shop that I talked about in another topic).

"Hit the button until your arm falls off" minigames had already claimed one controller, and I had enough money to invest in a Turbo contorller. It was good enough to help me get down the Minigame Coaster several times.

Don't ever buy MadCatz. We've also lost a bunch of save data on one of their memory cards. My wife has yet to play through Resident Evil again..

I discovered a very unconventional way to remedy that problem.  One time my Madcatz card said that the save data for WWE Day of Reckoning 2 had been corrupted.  Having put so much time into that game, naturally, I was a little PO'd.  So, I took the card out of the slot and hurled it at the wall.  Then I put it back in to delete all my hard work, when I suddenly discovered there was no longer an error message.  See, a little tough love never hurts.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 09:17:12 PM »
Well, now that I've copied my most precious data from my old, Nintendo memory card onto a large, purple and unwieldy Mad Catz one, anything is worth trying. Perhaps Paper Mario became the victim of such data corruption because it was the first GCN game I turned on since last night's power outage... Huh.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 09:41:27 PM »
Still doesn't work that way.
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 02:15:38 PM »
Meh.

Who supposes that I should throw all caution to the wind and hurl the [darn]ed card against a wall?

Jman

• Score
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:34:57 PM »
It worked for me, but I got lucky because the card didn't break.  Not to mention this stuff is harder to find now that the Gamecube is dead. 
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 09:05:58 PM »
Whoa. I remember that my friend gave me his Memory Card for the GCN to see what was wrong with his files. It turned out the same exact thing happened. Oddly enough, the same thing happened to me on SM64 DS. First, my younger sister deletes my COMPLETE Save File with EVERYTHING on it, then when I'm just about close to doing it again, I open up the game and get a message saying, "File seems corrupted." And all of my data was erased. =( So unfortunately, you have no choice but to delete the data and restart the game. I'm sorry that this happened.
Let's get the show on the road! ....wait, there was a road here, right?

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 09:28:49 PM »
Well, your username certainly seems promising, so I'll accept your word as final.Losing any four-and-a-half-year-old game file is a travesty in its own right, but there's no arguing that it could've been much, much worse.

Thanks for the support, guys.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 11:15:51 PM »
Well, good news: Between last month when I began this thread and now, I've managed to recoup most of my PM:TTYD accomplishments from scratch. That includes every recipe, badge, Shine Sprite and Tattle Log entry. The only truly long-term casualty suffered will be Mario's level. Getting back to a stellar eightysomething (and beyond) will be quite the task, but hey; that's what the Summer's for: Loafing around indoors and playing old video games. :'D

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 12:01:59 AM »
I used to think like you, once.
That was a joke.

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »
...But you were eventually forced to emerge from your shell of youthful abandon and face the cold, harsh realities of adult life?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 10:49:36 AM »
Not really, I just realized that there were other things I should do too.
That was a joke.

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »
I was considering looking for a job, but then I remembered that those require effort, so I didn't.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
You will not be able to sustain your video gaming habits for long.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Obviously Chupperson has failed to factor in the presence of the Internet and its masses of free high-quality games. Also replayability and long RPGs, and especially long RPGs you go back and play through multiple times.

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »
*puke*

*vomit*

*BARF*

Print