Print

Author Topic: Recommend using a Dust Remover Spray Can to clean game consoles?  (Read 5324 times)

« on: July 07, 2009, 07:24:15 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place for this thread.

Alright, my game consoles have a lot of dust and lint inside the consoles and in the cartridge slot. I want to remove and clean them using a Spray Can like a dust remover. You know, like those same cans used for spraying the insides of a PC. Would you guys recommend that I do this? If so, what would I have to watch out for?

Consoles include Genesis, PSone & PS2 Slim, Dreamcast, SNES, GCN, and Wii.

Cleaning advice for a dummy here please.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 07:55:32 PM by Keiji Dragon »

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:18:12 PM »
Are they actually not working? If they're not working it wouldn't make much sense to try and clean them. Anyway, it you want to clean the SNES, you should just put alcohol on the connectors of a game using a Q-Tip and repeatedly thrust it in and out of the cartridge slot. That works beautifully. I'm guessing the same can go for Genesis.

For the PlayStations, GCN, and I suppose the Dreamcast, you should gently use a Q-tip dipped in alcohol to clean the lens. You should do this gently and just rotate the Q-tip around the lens so that it's free of any sort of smudges or dust particles. But I mean, if there's nothing wrong with the consoles' operation then I really don't think cleaning them is all that necessary.

and for the Wii, I'm not sure. But using a can of compressed air is fine as long as there's no condensation occurring that causes the inside of the console to be wet. However opening your consoles always voids the warranty.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »
Solid's advice is all sound. I don't know what you think you'd need to watch out for though.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:50:20 PM »
Condensation, if there is any and also not being careful when cleaning the lens as they are faily easy to damage.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:51:09 PM »
Actually condensation isn't a danger from compressed air at all.
That was a joke.

Print