Print

Author Topic: An EarthBound topic  (Read 8385 times)

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:13:50 PM »
I ended up in love (figuratively, of course) with a little SNES RPG called EarthBound. Basically, you're a psychic kid named Ness (the one you may or may not have heard of in Smash Bros.) and the rest of his crew: Paula, Jeff, Poo (So help me if someone already starts laughing about his name!), who have to fight this ungodly abomination of a final boss known as Giygas. It's an alien (yeah, I know, cliche, whatever), or at least was before it lost it's mind and body from evil power. It's a very lighthearted (with the exception of the OH GOD FREAKY Final Boss), hilarious game with cartoony, simplistic graphics. Discuss, stallions, and sorry for the abundance of parenthesis.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 04:45:22 PM »
...stallions?

Anyway, yes, we know about EarthBound. It's still a great game. I got it from Funcoland after I unlocked Ness in Super Smash Bros. It was my second RPG after Super Mario RPG. Loved it so much that I ended my pointless grudge against RPGs and started playing other RPGs like Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger.

And yet, in all honesty I can't really say anything about the game stands out compared to the others I've played. It has a unique goofy tone, yes, and you get to beat up hippies and slugs and Kisses of Death. But none of it seems to regularly come up when reminiscing about RPGs, except for the Crested Booka creature. I think what I have more memories of is how half the playtime is taken up by level grinding. It was enjoyable, but man did it take forever to get anywhere in it. Mother 3 was a little better about the pacing (supposedly it depends on how good you are with matching the battle rhythm. I wasn't, so I had to level grind for hours), but I didn't think the locations were as great and I'm sure never going to remember Flint or Duster compared to Paula or Jeff. And I sure hated the enemies in Mother 3 for just being animal parts thrown together as opposed to the more imaginative enemies in EarthBound.

I guess it was more a good stepping point for getting introduced to RPGs. And I like turn-based battle systems. Oh, that's one thing I liked about EarthBound that stood out from the rest: those psychedelic battle backgrounds. It found a way to make an otherwise static screen interesting.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »
I'd like the game a lot better if it wasn't horribly overrated by its extremely rabid fanbase.

Nonetheless, its pretty unique for its genre but the strictly turn-based battles really pull me out of the game. I'm a bit more partial to Mother 3 even if I can't seem to beat it.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »
Giygas is becoming a meme and I don't like it.

EarthBound is my favorite in the series. It has something MOTHER 3 doesn't and I'm not sure what. And MOTHER is just plain primitive.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 07:25:24 PM »
A meme? How do you figure?

EarthBound was weird and cool and I don't know why Nintendo keeps putting so much Mother series stuff in the Smash Bros. games if they refuse to otherwise acknowledge its existance in America.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »
Because Hal and Sakurai love Mother. Actually, Iwata likes it too, which is why he won't let NOA change the songs they'd have to change in order to get it released in America. Doesn't want them to screw with the game's original vision or something. And Reggie supposedly likes Mother 3.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »
Giygas is already a meme I'd say. He's featured in about a zillion stupid videos on YouTube.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 02:32:13 PM »
Jesus ****ing balls, just because you hear about something more than once does NOT make it an internet meme (which is what you mean). A meme, technically yes, but not an internet one. By your definition, Abe Lincoln, hair, Coca-Cola, Metal Gear Solid 2, Burma, and my skin cells are memes, too.

So stop with this whole "x is becoming/should be/will be a meme" crap.
every

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:00:17 PM »
Earthbound is the one reason I might get an SNES, AND the one reason I'm considering not to. (Giygas is hella creepy)
GAY LUIGEH

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 06:16:30 PM »
Jesus ****ing balls, just because you hear about something more than once does NOT make it an internet meme (which is what you mean). A meme, technically yes, but not an internet one. By your definition, Abe Lincoln, hair, Coca-Cola, Metal Gear Solid 2, Burma, and my skin cells are memes, too.

So stop with this whole "x is becoming/should be/will be a meme" crap.

Is this specifically addressed to me? Sorry if I offended you.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »
It was aimed at BP primarily, but thanks for your concern. It's just that everyone here is suddenly trying to will everything into a meme and it's obviously a conspiracy to P me O.
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 07:05:22 PM »
"x is becoming/should be/will be a meme" is becoming/should be/will be a meme.

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 07:15:15 PM »
The above post should be a meme.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 07:33:23 PM »
Earthbound is the one reason I might get an SNES, AND the one reason I'm considering not to. (Giygas is hella creepy)

Seriously?

There are many more reason to own an SNES beyond Earthbound. I'm well aware a large chunk of its library is available in compilations, downloadable services and ports but none of them can capture the feeling of playing in front of an SDTV with that perfect controller in your hand, with the sun setting to the east of your house.

At least, that's how it was for me when I was young.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »
The above post should be a meme.
So you're saying that saying that saying that something is becoming a meme is becoming a meme should become a meme?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:11:03 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print