Print

Author Topic: Why Pokémon Sucks (And What Won't Be Done To Fix It)  (Read 63903 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 10:21:45 AM »
My advice had nothing to do with "formatting". It had to do with not writing useless words that sap your sentence's power.

Define "power."  What if I said that Weegee's points carry more "power" because he chooses to win people over through respect and humility, even admitting that his points are only his opinion?  That seems rather more convincing than declaring them as absolute fact (not that that's what Warp was trying to do).  Like the guy said, the whole discussion is about a video game; you don't need a formal essay to make a convincing point (you don't need a formal essay to make a convinving point anywhere, but they're more helpful in some areas than in others). 

Aaaaand now we're debating about how to debate.  I see this thread moving quickly into NatDT.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »
Two posts ago I wrote, "This has nothing to do with being arrogant." because I knew someone was going to take it like you just did.

Good writing doesn't use words for no reason.
Anything someone writes is their opinion, no matter what. It never needs to be written out.
This applies to all contexts: formal essays, forum posts, chatrooms, cereal boxes.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 09:55:32 PM »
The 4th Generation really disappointed me to a point where I don't even want a 5th Generation. Your ideas are very good. Another suggestion is to make an evil team that's actually EVIL. I honestly think doing what Team Aqua and Magma did in the 3rd Generation would have been good for the world and space colonization that the Ginga-Dan (Galactic) wanted is something mankind needs (I'm going by DIamond and Pearls story, since I won't get Platinum).

I say an evil team should be a group of assassins who have kidnapped the leading authorities in the Pokemon world (that being Oak, Elm, Birch & Rowan) and hold them for ransom. And it is up to you to rescue the professors. And you don't rescue them by having Pokemon battles with trainers, perhaps have a really strong Pokemon guarding switches and keys and other items of importance. And why not implement some Mac Guffins or Checkov Guns?

And I absolutely agree with the New Pokemon BS. Enough is enough. There are far too many right now and its the reason Nintendo dropped the "Gotta catch em all" slogan.

Lol, when I read that post I was reminded of the Game Overthinker, too bad he won't cover Pokemon because he doesn't like it.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »
There are plenty of MacGuffins and Chekhov's guns. Are you just throwing out words you heard on TV Tropes or something?

MacGuffin examples: the badges, gold teeth
Chekhov's gun examples: old amber, Viridian City's empty gym

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 10:58:05 PM »
I say an evil team should be a group of assassins who have kidnapped the leading authorities in the Pokemon world (that being Oak, Elm, Birch & Rowan) and hold them for ransom. And it is up to you to rescue the professors. And you don't rescue them by having Pokemon battles with trainers, perhaps have a really strong Pokemon guarding switches and keys and other items of importance. And why not implement some Mac Guffins or Checkov Guns?

This is the worst idea for a storyline in a Pokemon game I've ever heard and considering I've read about proposed storylines involving political warfare, mass genocide and a dating sim...

And I absolutely agree with the New Pokemon BS. Enough is enough. There are far too many right now and its the reason Nintendo dropped the "Gotta catch em all" slogan.

In that case, don't bother capturing them all. Again, no one is forcing you to capture every single Pokemon in the games, so if you don't feel like wasting time capturing the oens you will never use, by all means don't do it.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 11:10:15 PM »
I'd just like to see a Pokemon game with the evil team doing more than just being a minor nuisance. Have them attack the Pokemon League, do stuff after the Elite 4, that sort of thing... the last two gens have been better in that regard imo. I also like the idea from the comics of some of the Elite 4/Gym Leaders being evil, that would be pretty interesting.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 07:57:47 AM »
I rather thought Cyrus was at least one step above "nuisance" in the end game of Platinum... he did try to erase the existing universe and re-create it without any emotion, after all.

Also, I can't believe I'm agreeing with LD, here, but Pokemon doesn't really need any more 'Guffins or Guns.

"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 04:58:49 PM »
There are plenty of MacGuffins and Chekhov's guns. Are you just throwing out words you heard on TV Tropes or something?

Well, I am TV_Themes after all.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »
Thanks for reminding me why I hate Tv Tropes and its userbase as well.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 10:57:12 PM »
So, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver are out. And I hear they have anti-piracy that makes the ROM crash all the time - good work!

Too bad fifth-gen is going to have more Pokémon.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 07:04:11 PM »
There was a time when I used to know the names of every single Pokemon.  That was about 11 years ago, before Johto came into the picture. 

In that case, don't bother capturing them all. Again, no one is forcing you to capture every single Pokemon in the games, so if you don't feel like wasting time capturing the oens you will never use, by all means don't do it.

Well yeah, I mean it's not like there's any big reward for catching them all, just bragging rights (which at my age wouldn't matter anyway because I'm probably the only one out of my friends that still plays these games.  What can I say?  I'm a kid at heart).
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 07:34:21 PM »
A Foot in the Door Perspective:

I got Red and Blue for Christmas years back. Played through Red and enjoyed it. I did the missingno. glitch or whatever it was. After that, it just didn't hold my interest, so I never got around to playing Blue or any subsequent releases.

I've tried some other RPGs just to see what the deal is with them (Tales of Symphonia, for example), and I just can't get into them. I do however, enjoy the Mario RPG series because, hey, it's Mario, and those are simpler, Mario-ish RPGs that I can relate to a lot more. Sounds crazy, I know, but I mean...
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 07:40:25 PM »
I know where you're coming from. I've never been into those intricate, convoluted RPGs as much as Mario's simple excursions into the genre, Pokemon, or SNES-era classics like Earthbound and early Final Fantasy titles.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 01:53:47 AM »
Pokémon games not convoluted? That might have been true during first- and second-gen, when raising your Pokémon well wasn't about invisible numbers.

Try playing a newer Dragon Quest or a recent Wizardry-style game like Etrian Odyssey to see an example of a modern-day JRPG that isn't overly complex. Those are all a lot simpler than Pokémon for the reason given above (and I'd say far more interesting due to Dragon Quest games' beautiful and calming setting and Wizardry clones' incredibly straightforward yet still actually strategic combat), and you're lying to yourself (or ignoring a major mechanic of the game to try to make an argument) if you're trying to claim otherwise.

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 02:07:27 AM »
There was a time when I used to know the names of every single Pokemon.  That was about 11 years ago, before Johto came into the picture. 

Electrode, Diglett, Nidoran, Mankey
Venusaur, Rattata, Fearow, Pidgey
Seaking, Jolteon, Dragonite, Gastly
Ponyta, Vaporeon, Polywrath, Butterfree!

Yes, that was from memory..
* Toad blushes[/size]

Well yeah, I mean it's not like there's any big reward for catching them all, just bragging rights (which at my age wouldn't matter anyway because I'm probably the only one out of my friends that still plays these games.  What can I say?  I'm a kid at heart).

My wife and I still play. I just got Soul Silver, and she might get Heart Gold. We are so close to completeing the PkeDex in the Diamond/Pearl games (Just over 100 left!! I've never been so close, ever))
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print