Print

Author Topic: WarpRattler's Gaming Challenge  (Read 22917 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:19:21 PM »
Alright, so here's the deal: I'm challenging you guys to excel at video games. Different game each time, with a time limit determined according to the difficulty of the task at hand. There are no prizes beyond recognition of your abilities as a gamer; honestly, if your only reason to participate in a test of skill is a prize, you should probably reexamine why you play video games in the first place.

With some exceptions, I will be participating along with anyone who takes the challenge. And unless otherwise specified, it is not a race to see who can do it first, or to see who can do it best. The goal is to just do it.

The first task is this: starting from level one, complete Cleopatra Fortune in a single credit. The challenge will end at 11:00 PM CDT on June 29th, giving you a week to complete the task and present proof that you have done so.

Acceptable versions are the original PCB (and by association playing in MAME), any version of Taito Legends 2 (available on the PC or PS2 in the US), or Taito Memories Joukan (Japan-only PS2 game, so don't worry about it). The Dreamcast and PlayStation versions are prohibited.

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:25:07 PM »
I would very happily participate if Lizard Dude was running this. Warp will just pick random shoot em ups that maybe two people here have heard of, on top of making the challenge something he's done already.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 10:32:07 PM »
You'll note that I've been doing these in #tmk for some time, and while those have all been shmups (with the exception of Final Fight, which is still ongoing because no one wants to put in the time to 1CC it and I set no time limit), they've all been games for which I hadn't completed the task myself.

Also, way to do your research - Cleopatra Fortune is a puzzle game.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:15:40 AM »
Gotten to level 25 so far.  It helps that it's a lot like Tetris.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 12:42:58 PM »
Yeah, Cleopatra Fortune is relatively easy compared to the stuff you were playing in #tmk. I cleared it in six days, playing a few runs every day.

Keep in mind that lines made entirely of a single type of piece (gem, sarcophagus, block, or mummy) will clear, and that while the presence of gravity may tempt you to build for chains, chains aren't viable in survival runs; rather, build for perfects. The game will throw easy perfect setups for you for the first five levels or so, so take advantage of that. Also keep in mind that a pyramid block, which clears all blocks of the same type as the one you land it on, will appear at levels 10, 40, 70, and the very end of 99.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:34:47 PM »
Two days left. And Turtlekid is the only one of you who's even tried. Pathetic. I challenge you guys to an easy game (well, easy compared to what's coming after it), and one of you plays it.

I've already got the next game decided. It will be a game that I have never played, and will not play until the time of the challenge. Details and versions allowed (because there are quite a few versions of it) will be posted on Tuesday.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 04:08:23 PM »
It requires too much effort for simple bragging rights.
every

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »
I really really really suck at puzzle games. I looked at a gameplay video of it and my mind just blew up due to incomprehension.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 04:52:50 PM »
It requires too much effort for simple bragging rights.
It's not about the bragging rights.  It's about playing games that you may find fun but wouldn't have discovered otherwise.  For me, anyway.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »
My gaming axiom prevents me from thinking that way; thank goodness.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »
You mean your statement that is 100% false?
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »
Chupperson, it clearly doesn't matter to him whether it's false or not. It's just an excuse for him to go "LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING" whenever someone suggests he play video games.

Or, in other words, it's just an excuse for him to be a complete idiot.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 10:21:04 PM »
Alright, time's up! Turtlekid gets an honorable mention for being the only one who tried. Too bad he didn't do better.

Well, the next game is far more mainstream and more easily accessible on systems you people own, so here we go.

The game is Space Harrier. Yes, I have never played Space Harrier. I am ashamed, but am rectifying this.

The challenge: clear Space Harrier on a single credit. The time limit is two weeks; the challenge will end on July 13th at 11:00 PM CDT.

Because I haven't played the game myself to be able to gauge the difficulty, if no one clears the game within the first two weeks, there'll be a two-week extension. After that, we'll probably go on to something else.

Acceptable versions are the PCB (or MAME), the arcade version on the Virtual Console, the version in either Shenmue game, or the arcade version on Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 20: Space Harrier Complete Collection (Japan-only, so don't worry about it). No home port aside from the ones listed will be acceptable.

EDIT: Struck one port from the list because apparently it's actually a remake. And fixed another thing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:10:27 PM by WarpRattler »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 02:46:33 AM »
Oh yeah, uh, I completely forgot about this. Because I was busy with real life, and Space Harrier totally isn't as much fun as Night Striker anyway. New game instead.

The game is Tetris The Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus, Death mode. MAME, PCB, or Texmaster 2009 (sudden mode). Whoever has reached the highest level by the end wins; the challenge ends on Thursday, July 29, at 11:00 PM CDT.

I'm horrible at Death mode, so should anyone else actually play this time, it should be pretty close.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 06:30:39 PM »
I suppose I'll post my score here.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 04:12:40 AM »

You have eighteen hours.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 05:21:34 AM »
You have seventeen hours.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:23:37 AM by Kuromatsu »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 11:19:42 PM »
Time's up, so it appears Kuro has bested me. This was the best I could do with what time I had:

The next game is a massive change in that it's multiplayer. We'll be playing Puyo Puyo via the free client Puyo Puyo VS. The challenge is simply to beat me best of fifty (and before you say that sounds excessive, rounds of Puyo Puyo usually last less than a minute). No time limit; instead, it'll end when one person succeeds or five people fail.

Here's how it'll work: I'm normally hanging out in #tmk as Illyasviel. Come in whenever and issue the challenge; if I'm there (that is, not sleeping or donating plasma or otherwise busy offline), I'll probably accept immediately and give you the server info. We'll be playing with hard drop enabled, but aside from that feature, it plays exactly like Puyo Puyo 2.

(I would suggest another multiplayer game of some sort, but the only multiplayer games I can play on my connection are Puyo Puyo, turn-based stuff, and StarCraft.)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 03:25:06 AM »
Hey, remember how no one ended up playing me in Puyo Puyo except Waddle_doo (who didn't even go the full fifty rounds)? And then this thread died forever?

Well, it's back. And this time we're playing a game that's going to be a bit polarizing before anyone even starts playing, since I know a lot of people here don't have HD consoles: Pinball FX2, on the Paranormal table.

The table is also available in Zen Pinball, the PS3 equivalent of Pinball FX, but if you get it on Xbox 360, the table is free if you get it within the first week (it came out yesterday). The base game is free as well, so I highly recommend grabbing this stuff if you have a 360, even if you don't want to participate in the challenge.

Speaking of, the challenge is this: have a higher score than me by the deadline, November 15th. This is a totally arbitrary date and has absolutely nothing to do with Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3's release date.

As a side note, the next one of these challenges may or may not have a prize aside from bragging rights.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 11:37:02 AM »
Oh, and just so you guys know, my second credit on Paranormal (on my Japanese account, so we're not counting it here) got me 11.4M. I expect at least that much from those of you who I already know are good at games.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 11:39:52 AM »
I'd actually be interested in taking these challenges, but unfortunately I don't have any consoles here and my budget is pretty tight.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 05:11:26 PM »
I can understand the no consoles thing, but the game is free until November 2nd. It doesn't matter how tight your budget is.

The only person on these forums who owns an Xbox 360 and has any excuse not to play this game is BP, who doesn't have an Internet connection capable of connecting to LIVE.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
I turned on my xbox to download the stuff and then it crashed right away so now I have to send it for repair. Curse you WarpWrattler.

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »
Now that's what I call some Paranormal activity.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »
Even freakier is the fact that there's 3.2M earned on that table on his gamertag after that post.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 10:15:20 AM »
I can understand the no consoles thing, but the game is free until November 2nd. It doesn't matter how tight your budget is.

I overlooked that; my bad.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »
Just so you guys know, the current score to beat is 34.1 million.

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »
I haven't beaten it yet, only 33m, but know I'm coming for ya.

Edit: Aaaaaaand, done. By a whopping 700k. It would have been higher, but I was completely putzing up the dizzy chupacabra. Didn't get it once as I was coming up to Warps score.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:47:51 PM by CoconutMikeNIke »
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
Oh snap!

That dizzy bonus can be insane. I got 3.4M from it in one hit in that 34M run.

I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to beat your score.

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 02:36:21 PM »
I'll have to wait to beat both of you into the ground until my xbox gets back from the stinkin' repair center.

This will of course be way after Warp's deadline, but I don't care, I'm still going to beat you.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »
36.1M. Would've been way higher if I was better at hitting the main ramp when I actually need to (for the dizzy bonus, of course).

Make sure you get the double (or triple) skill shot bonuses. Double skill shot is an easy 1.5M at the beginning of every ball, including locked balls.

Jersey Devil bonus suuuuucks. Hard as hell to earn consistently and not worth enough to bother with, but it comes up all the time.

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
Jersey devil is up the right side, right? Yeah, that's a pain to hit when I want.

I like that the dizzy bonus even helps you out by slowing the ball down, and I still have so much trouble with it. And only when I need to hit it. Any other time it's fine.

Do you ever go into the haunted house thing? I tried for a while, but I'm so awful at the vertical flipper thing it stops being worth it. Really I only get it by mistake when going for multiball.

Yeah, I always go for the double skill shot. I have a lot of trouble hitting the ramp consistantly with the upper right flipper, it's just not worth the risk. But I found out that you have a decent window if you miss it but don't hit anything else, if you get the ball back up there it will still reward the double/super. Then I like sending it up to the bumpers after to give a moments breather after the very specific timing sections. 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
The haunted house is one of the most lucrative scoring mechanics in the game (outside of the jackpots) due to how easy it is to abuse. You should be getting at least 1M every time you get up there. (Try launching your ball out of the right side of the lower floor so that it gets abducted by the UFO.)

Triple skill shot is totally worth the effort to learn the timing, since that's 3.5M at the beginning of every ball. That's an easy 17.5M (five balls, counting both ball-lock spots, and not counting any extra balls you may earn or any extra slots opened in the reel by activating phenomena) just from launching the ball.

By the way, if you didn't notice, the current score to beat is actually 41M, since I played another credit before I left for work. A lot of that came from dominating skillshots, jackpots, the haunted house, and especially Video Mode, which is an easy 9M.

(For anyone who hasn't grabbed the game yet, today is the last day to do so for free. Come on, guys!)

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 10:21:37 PM »
I did see that you got to 41, I played a bit earlier. And it was awful. Couldn't get higher than 16m, and while I'm sure they didn't make the game so that when you need to hit it to a specific spot it actively works against you, but [darn] if it doesn't seem that way. The Doppelganger multiball should be stupid easy to hit, just hit into one of the drops. Heck, I nail those all the time to make the ball lock easier. But when I activated the multiball this time I couldn't get close. Hit the reverse scoop 3 times in a row. Of course. And I'm loathe to overstate the dizzy bonus. But, yeah, not a great couple creds.

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 11:15:08 PM »
I challenge you to a score-based 1.0 hardcore mode Minecraft showdown! Once 1.0 comes out, of course.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 11:29:13 PM »
Buy me a copy of Minecraft and you're on.

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »
48.5. And you're absolutely right about abusing the mansion. It took a few attempts, but once you can get right back in immediately it can be pretty nasty.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 02:51:22 AM »
Oof, nice. I'll have to give it another go in the morning before I leave for work. That seemed to work last time!

I looked at the leaderboards for this table earlier, and I want to know who this guy with the patience to get a 110B score on this table was.

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 06:28:02 AM »
The same guy who got 999,999,999 points on Sonic 4.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 01:38:39 AM »
56.9M. 40M of that was on the first ball alone. I'm surprised I didn't earn an extra ball from that madness.

I see you bought the Fantastic Four table, CoconutMikeNIke. How are you liking it?

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
It's not great.  It's very open, showing off the art of the team in the center of the table, but that really just makes it kinda boring, very open.  Not much in the way of drop targets or neat catches.  Scoring isn't bad, I guess, it's just different.  Unless you play the missions, there isn't much you can do to get points, and all the missions are very similar.  Although, and I wish I could remember how to activate it, the Skrull attack on the Baxter building was pretty fun.  It has sort of a old pachinko kinda game to fight them off. But like the Alligator chase through the sewers in Paranormal, it's one of those things that just happens. Also the skill shot is really just luck, so that's disappointing.

I will say, though, the voice actors are great.  Doom is very cool sounding, and I'm fairly confident Johnny is Captain Smiley. And multiball is easy to get.  Well, it's not hard in Paranormal, but that one has you doing a couple steps to get it, Fantastic Four you just keep hitting the drop targets in front of Thing a bunch, who's just off center of the board, so it's ridiculously simple. Fantastic Four-ball is tougher, but only because I haven't yet figured out the trigger for the ball lock.

So, not a waste of money, but where I was looking for more of what I got to like in Paranormal (Bunch of bonuses and a variety of points), I got a very good looking and sounding table with the same four ramps and bumpers I can't see (They put them in the back behind Thing, under Doom). And it is still fun, so there.

And well done.  I wouldn't have gotten the 48 if I hadn't gotten the extra ball early on, so this should be interesting to see. Also, the planets must have aligned last time, because I actually got the dizzy bonus for like 10m, and I think we know I can't hit that again.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 10:52:15 AM »
I didn't even get an extra ball in my 56.9M game. If I had I would've done even better.

And yeah, the demo of the Fantastic Four table gave me the impression that it was too open. Earth Defense was the same way, or else I probably would've bought that table.

The Street Fighter II table is fun, but is hard to score well on. My best is 14M, and I got that on like my second or third credit.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
Just over a week remaining, and I haven't seen anyone beat 56.9M yet.

BP's been playing, and while he doesn't have the ability to connect to LIVE to get his score to update on the leaderboards with the rest of us, he tells me he's gotten a respectable 28.5M so far. If he can keep it up, we might have someone else taking second place...

Keep playing, guys! It's been good fun comparing strategies and taking turns stomping each other's scores, and I hope the next challenge will create the same kind of atmosphere.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 09:21:11 PM »
Daaaaaayum!

CoconutMikeNIke, where you at? I can't be the only one beating BP's score.

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 10:07:22 PM »
Sorry, between work and reacquainting myself with Gears 1, I haven't had the time to beat both of you senseless.  Tomorrow or Friday morn/afternoon, though, I got nothing scheduled.  Well done, BP, I didn't think you were going to get there.  But now I only have to, oh, double my score.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 12:40:35 AM »
Ooh, you're playing the first Gears of War? I need someone to co-op through that game with. Though, my schedule is pretty bad for coordinating anything...

And whipping BP in Paranormal needs to come first anyway.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 01:28:46 AM »
Speaking of whipping BP, I just earned 93,725,610 on my first credit of the night. I earned two extra balls in all that mess, but they didn't help much.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2011, 03:29:07 AM »
$#&@*#@($%*^(#
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »
Tomorrow is the final day.

I know BP is probably going to be busy with UMvC3...and so am I.

CoconutMikeNIke, this is your chance to swoop in and win! After all, you're only 45M behind.

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 12:53:32 AM »
So, I did not take advantage. I played a few rounds the other day, and was rather rusty. Who'd have guessed that a game that is all about super precise timing skill could dissipate if you don't play for a week or so.

So I'm figuring Warp won his challenge again? Congrats, this was a really good choice of game. I know that I'm going to keep playing it. I might pick up another table sometime, let you guys know how they are.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 01:11:10 AM »
I actually own a bunch of the tables now. I had a lot of spacebucks lying around, so I bought the core pack and Sorcerer's Lair, which it seems like no one except me likes.

Unless BP beat my score and hasn't told me, yeah, it looks like I won. The only score I'm seeing on my friends leaderboard that's higher than mine is a 169M score from one of my shmups community friends.

The next challenge will not have anything to do with Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and won't be happening for a short while. I need some time for work and personal stuff, and a couple of other games I'd like to get out of the way before I go for any other competitive-type stuff. (And right now the game I'd like to challenge people to would only have one other person playing, and he doesn't even visit this forum anymore.)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »
Alright, so here's the idea for the next challenge.

Instead of me picking the game, I want you guys to do so.

It needs to be something:
-readily accessible to at least three TMK users, including myself
-preferably either free or at least very cheap
-something that allows for asynchronous competition, preferably single-player and/or score-based
-something no one here is already good at (which was part of why Paranormal was so much fun, since it was new to everyone competing, and is part of why we will not be playing Pac-Man Championship Edition or Boom Boom Rocket, despite how perfect they would be otherwise)

The deadline for entries is November 24th, at which point I'll figure out what can work from what's been submitted.

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2011, 09:50:46 PM »
What about...
  • Minecraft creative (classic is free!)
  • Sonic Generations 30-second trial
  • RROD contest!

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »
OCC Ghosts 'n' Goblins!

:)       no   )
No! I don't want that!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 07:17:46 PM »
Actually, most of the Makaimura games would be perfect for this. We could see who could reach the highest stage in a given GnG in a single credit. And it's incredibly difficult to be anything resembling "good" at any of those games, so there's no "I'm-a stomp all of you in this game I rock at" issue.

But I still want to see more suggestions. And good ones, too, unlike the things bobbysq1337 mentioned.

I'm going to throw one out here myself: Blade Buster, a homebrew NES shmup. It's an homage to the Star Soldier family of shooters, and is just as fun as any of those, but with the enhancement of being a free download.

I played it for a week straight back during STGT2011 over on the system11.org shmups forum, and had an absolute blast. It's easy to learn most of the scoring tricks, though there are some rather odd strategies in there that seem counterintuitive (I've forgotten most of it, myself), and the game itself is less than five minutes long, so restarting due to dying or making a really big mistake isn't nearly the setback it could be in some of the games I'd normally suggest for this. Its length also means you can easily play a credit or two during a break or whatever (especially if you have an NES emulator on some sort of portable platform).

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
But I still want to see more suggestions. And good ones, too, unlike the things bobbysq1337 mentioned.
:( Why?

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »
Geometry Wars 2 jumps to my mind, though bobman37 and I probably already have the highest scores we ever will.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
I was gonna suggest speedruns of a Metroid game, but then I saw "something no one here is already good at", which at least a few people here are in violation of. So never mind to that I guess.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »
I know what could be good! Super Mario Bros., but by score. That would be good because I don't think anyone is good at score in that game and we often take it for granted, so no one really notices it.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2011, 10:12:36 PM »
People who aren't good at racking up points in SMB have not played SMBDX.

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »
I forgot about that. Stupid You vs. Boo and For Super Players/Lost Levels/2.

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2011, 10:48:06 PM »
There was a game for sale a while back on XBLA, a cheap indie game called Globe Clicker. I wonder if it's still available. Basically you're given a city and have to try and pick as close as you can to where it is. We could go for longest number of rounds in World mode.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2011, 11:50:48 PM »
XBLIG stuff can't be played offline, which I know is a point of contention for at least one person here.

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2011, 01:23:49 AM »
Geometry Wars 2 jumps to my mind, though bobman37 and I probably already have the highest scores we ever will.
No way man, I still have a lot of give room.

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2011, 01:28:51 AM »
XBLIG stuff can't be played offline, which I know is a point of contention for at least one person here.
Wait, really? Why?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2011, 01:48:08 AM »
I have no idea, really. Possibly for the same reason much of the service is region-locked.

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »

I have played it, and I'm still not good at racking up points. XD

You probably wouldn't like my suggestions, but what about Smash Bros Brawl or Mario Kart Wii..? Or another Wii,Ds game most Forumers have and can play online..?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2011, 04:57:17 PM »
How 'bout Super Crate Box?  It's freely available, supposedly fun, and high-score-centric.
Go Moon!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »
I played Super Crate Box back at launch and can vouch for its quality, but this is definitely not the right forum for getting people to play PC games.

And even if it were, shouldn't you be suggesting JiroSum? ;)

Toad, the problem with those is that while they have the "asynchronous" thing going on to an extent, they're still multiplayer games; the idea with single-player games is, we don't need to try to coordinate gameplay sessions with other people. Something like Civilization IV, which offers Play-By-Mail options, would be better in that regard, but still not ideal.

(Also, I don't own Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Mario Kart Wii.)

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »
Well, for one, I knew full well that I (and a couple others) have played JiroSum extensively enough already.
Otherwise, I figured I'd suggest a game that people might actually be willing to try.
Go Moon!

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2011, 12:39:11 AM »
Ooops. Right then.. I'll try to think of something else..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2011, 05:33:00 AM »
We interrupt your current game-suggestion programming for this important XBLA-related news bulletin:

Attention all pinball fans! All three Pinball FX2 table packs - Marvel Pinball, Pinball FX1, and the Core Pack - are half-price starting today and running through next Tuesday! That's 400MSP for each pack of four tables, or 800MSP for the two packs worth getting (I've heard the FX1 tables are pretty bad, and would rather not spend the money to confirm such myself).

Attention all everything-else fans! A buttload of other games are on sale as well, including mega-hit Super Meat Boy (400MSP, a third of its regular price) and awesome racing game OutRun Online Arcade (400MSP - and note that this game will be pulled from XBLA at the end of the year due to Sega's Ferrari license expiring)! There will also be Black Friday and Cyber Monday single-day specials, so make sure to check in on those days!

Back on topic, we should play Gradius III (SNES). Unlike the arcade version, which you'll find a picture of next to the definition of "stupid hard" in the video game terminology dictionary I'm writing, the SNES version is so easy that most people here should be able to clear the first loop on a single credit on default settings within their first few tries, at which point they can learn how to play for score (which mainly consists of "kill things" and "don't die," but extended beyond the first loop).

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2011, 11:47:20 PM »
Finally playing Pinball FX 2. What is triple skill shot? I've only seen double.

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2011, 12:18:29 AM »
On paranormal, you launch the ball really light, and it drops to the upper right flipper, where you hit it up the Nessie ramp, and then there you hit it to the spinner.  500,000 for skill shot, 1,000,000 for double, 2,000,000 for Super Skill shot.

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2011, 12:32:43 AM »
Yeah I found it right after asking. Different question, what's magna save?

Also I can't figure out those FFFFFFFing magnets on the multiball panels.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2011, 12:44:02 AM »
I did a bit of research just now and found that when Magna Save is charged, you can hold the launch button to pull the ball toward the center of the table. I wish I had known this sooner (i.e. when we were playing this for competition).

The magnets on the puzzle cube work the same way; you need to play around with the ball's momentum to get it to launch into the hole. It's rather tricky and I mostly just didn't bother with it.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 01:53:48 AM »
I only ever used Levitation.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2011, 02:09:33 AM »
Levitation is weird because you have to hit that floating ball. I'm sticking with the four sinkholes.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2011, 03:15:46 AM »
Levitation is the easiest one to consistently earn and doesn't require hitting four sinkholes (far easier said than done).

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2011, 03:56:22 AM »
Nah, hitting the four sinkholes isn't hard at all. Just make sure for the bottom two that the slanted pieces are pointing the right way. Plus then once you get them all, it's like gay sex with Lance Armstrong

three balls at once

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2011, 04:12:04 AM »
I fully expect to see your top score being four times as high as mine after I get back from my 360-free weekend, then.

(Still need more suggestions, guys!)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2011, 05:15:59 AM »
Hmm games I am good at that involve pppointsss hmmmmn

Tetris Attack.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
You guys didn't know about Magna Save? Well, you didn't miss much. Just as often as it saves the ball it gets stuck on the flipper and you lose the ball anyway.

And I do not enjoy the Marvel set.

How about the old Tetris? GB Camera Juggle? Doom?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2011, 08:32:38 AM »
The Marvel tables seem like they're going to require an ungodly amount of practice to be enjoyable.

BP, the idea is to suggest games we're not already good at, and Tetris Attack doesn't fit the bill.

And ignoring the massive existing skill gap we'd have to deal with if we tried to play it, any version of Tetris that doesn't have "The Grand Master" in the title was ruined for me some time ago.

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »
You guys didn't know about Magna Save? Well, you didn't miss much. Just as often as it saves the ball it gets stuck on the flipper and you lose the ball anyway.
Bro, you are Doing It Wrong. You gotta flip the flippers up while you magna save so the ball rides them up into the play field.

Holy butts magna save is a godsend.

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »
113M isn't four times your score, but it's certainly higher. Then again, it's only been 24 hours since I started playing.

I got 108M on the first two balls.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2011, 02:12:20 AM »
I rescind my previous statement about Marvel Pinball, or at least about one of its tables. This was my second credit of Spider-Man ever:

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2011, 02:20:32 AM »
any version of Tetris that doesn't have "The Grand Master" in the title was ruined for me some time ago.

You're just saying that for an excuse to play panel de pon instead
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2011, 02:28:39 AM »
That was in response to CoconutMikeNIke's suggestion of GB Tetris, not your suggestion of Tetris Attack. Panel de Pon and any other version of that game would have the same problem already mentioned in my response to your suggestion.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2011, 02:30:25 PM »
Alright, guys, so after some deliberation (and after exploring a couple of the options personally), we're going with Geometry Wars 2's Deadline mode.

Deadline mode is basically a Geometry Wars caravan mode. It has a three-minute timer and infinite lives (bombs are awarded the same way they are in other modes). You shouldn't take advantage of the infinite lives, though - the longer you survive on a single life, the more intense the waves get, and the greater the scoring potential.

Geometry Wars 2 is 400MSP on XBLA, and Deadline is the first mode available. If it's an option for anyone aside from me, I'll also accept scores from Geometry Wars: Touch, the iOS version, as it's just a port of GW2 with an extra mode added, and only costs ninety-nine cents. Just make sure you take a screenshot.

The Deadline deadline is Christmas.

Print